Favourite Oscar Moments... of all time!

Tools    

I hope we've got some ancient film fans who can tell us about Sally Field's acceptance, George C Scott's inattendance, and Marlon Brando's injun friend.

Here are a few of my favourite Oscar moments of recent years.

The Best Acceptance Speeches: Cuba Gooding Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, James Cameron x3, Roberto Benigni x2, Judi Dench, Michael Caine and Julia Roberts.

The Funny Moments: Billy Crystal talking to Yoda. Billy on the bow of the sinking Titanic with Kevin Costner. Billy being seduced by Mrs Robinson. Crystal doing the Full Monty. "What, too jewish?". Every year that he sung about the nominees. Robin Williams singing Blame Canada. And the funniest, Jim Carrey's crocodille tears for not being recognised for the Truman Show. Steve Martin bullying Russell Crowe.

Others: Elia Kazan's honourary award. The stolen oscars. The year when dancers performed the scores. The 70th anniversary with a bunch of old winners.

Have I forgotten any?

MovieForums Extra
I'm not sure if this was from the Oscars, but I remember some sort of acceptance speech where the guy getting the award started thanking his parents for having him, Budweiser for providing the beer, Ford for providing the back seat of the car... You get the drift! I was crying of laughter after hearing that one!

That was Adam Sandler as Bobby Boucher at the MTV awards.

'Twas pretty funny.

Best Oscar moments for Pigsnie (and I'm ancient too -- I was around in 1991 ):

You're right, BigV -- anything Billy Crystal ever did was memorable. Particularly, coming out as Hannibal Lecter in his caddie cart and appearing as Kim Basinger from LA CONFIDENTIAL and Kate Winslet posing nude in TITANIC. I won't forget Whoopi Goldberg's stint either, and it wasn't because I liked it. Also remember the streaker who appeared while David Niven was on stage -- not because I was actually watching the event, heck, I must have been only 5 at the time -- but because I've seen this clip so many times on the telly. And I sniffled lots when they showed photos of Japanese immortals Kurosawa & Toshiro Mifune one after the other during the "obituary" sequence. They died just months apart in the same year.

Best speeches: Anthony Hopkins for SOTL (no laundry lists, just sheer class & I love the standing ovation), Olivier's speech for his honorary Oscar, even remember phrases & words ("sheer prodigal human kindness of it"), Charlie Chaplin accepting his honorary in a wheelchair (made me all weepy). Not sure why, but Cuba Gooding's speech just made me wince.

Originally posted by bigvalbowski
I hope we've got some ancient film fans who can tell us about Sally Field's acceptance, George C Scott's inattendance, and Marlon Brando's injun friend.
Hadn't heard of those last two - could you elaborate a bit for me? I'm a youngun'

George C Scott won the Best Actor award for playing General Patton in "Patton". He famously refused to attend, calling the Academy Awards a "meat parade".

Marlon Brando sent a Native American squaw to pick up his award for best actor for "The Godfather" in protest at the treatment of Native Americans.

I'd love to have seen what actually happened.