Ocean's Eleven, or Harry Potter?

Tools    

Who will take the #1 spot over the December 7th-9th weekend?
28.57%
4 votes
Harry Potter Will: 4 in a Row
57.14%
8 votes
Ocean's Eleven: It'll de-throne Potter
7.14%
1 votes
The two will finish incredibly close to each other
7.14%
1 votes
I really have no idea
14 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Now With Moveable Parts
Jealous?! Of what?! I've got more sexy in my pinky than all three girls I mentioned, combined! No, it's not jealousy friend...it's pity.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well if you knew the secrets of how Sadie's mind works...you would understand this little fit she throws to get debates started. It's quite interesting what it does to her.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
I am going to post a picture. I'm waiting till I get my film back from my sister's birthday party...it'll be the most recent...and the best

Spud...divulging secrets again?!

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by TWTCommish
More in your pinky than JLH? D*mnitt, woman, why don't you post your picture, then?
T, I didn't know you cared....

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by spudracer
Hey everybody wanna know where Sadie works??? Just PM me...
SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do I get the impression Sades is very loose about what she tells people on this forum? Hey, my kind of girl. I think it's pretty damn funny listening to you all talk about it in a semi-secretive manner, though. I've got no idea what it's specifically about, but the little hints are awfully fun.

Yay, she's gonna post a picture. Hopefully everyone will eventually (though I'm not gonna nag anyone about it...for some people, it just isn't their bag, for whatever reason...no big deal). I think I'll get my hair cut and then get a semi-decent picture taken. Or I could get a picture on my WebCam, if my stupid computer ever lets me use it properly again.

Wow, way off topic. Anyway, Potter's looking to rake in around $60+ million this weekend, so the show-down with "Ocean's Eleven" looks to be fairly close.

I think it's safe to say by the time "Ocean's" reaches the theater, "Potter" will have been to the bank and withdrawn its share of booty(sorry felt like using some slang). Who knows, with the general hype now over with, most of the people going to see it now are those that have already seen it or those that are going with someone that has already seen it.

Ocean's Eleven with a very nice roster for those on board should prove worthy of going up against Harry Potter. Of course, if "Ocean's" steals the first place spot, it won't be there for very long. Lord of the Rings is probably going to steal that spot away real quick.

No one's mentioned that these movies are completely different?

One is for adults, one is for kids.

Though 11 doesn't have any bad language in it, so kids can go to see it.

There isn't alot of people seeing Harry Potter. There are lots of people seeing it twice, there are also lots of parents being dragged in with their kids. You have to remember that with a kid movie maybe 1 in 3 people didn't actually want to see it, they just took their kids.

How long parents will keep paying for their kids to see Harry over and over remains to be seen. But once Oceans 11 is out I predict that the parents will just let their kids go see Harry alone and go see Oceans instead. So right there you'll have less ticket sales.

Another thing is screens. Harry is playing on many screens that will be given to Oceans when it's out. So with the movie playing on less screens there will be less people seeing it.

In my opinion the thing that'll really nail down Harry is going to be Lord of the Rings.

You think LOTR is gonna gross more overall than Potter domestically? I'll put money against that. Seriously. Ya got PayPal? I'm a man of my word.

I dunno that it's fair to say that anywhere near 1 in 3 people doesn't want to be there. This is not just some kids movie. When I went to see it, you know what I saw? Teenage girls my age giggling excitedly. A couple rows in front of us were 4 full-grown adults, a couple of which looked middle aged...no kids around them at all! They came all by themselves.

It's obvious you don't like Potter much...which is all well and good, but it's going to be the highest grossing film (domestically) to be released in 2001, it's gonna hold that new weekend record for awhile (at least past LOTR, IMO), and I don't think many parents are going to let their kids sit in the theater by themselves while they go watch something else.

We shall see.

Well they finally have a reason to dump your kids in one theater while you go to another. Harry Potter and Ocean's 11 should play pretty well against each other. People are going to want to get away from the potter hysteria and go see a flick with some people worth watching in it. They've been sitting through double viewings of Potter the last couple of weeks that they still don't understand what a quidditch or a muggle is.

Ocean's 11, will be a nice breather from all of the craziness.

I dunno that it's fair to say that anywhere near 1 in 3 people doesn't want to be there. This is not just some kids movie. When I went to see it, you know what I saw? Teenage girls my age giggling excitedly. A couple rows in front of us were 4 full-grown adults, a couple of which looked middle aged...no kids around them at all! They came all by themselves.
Well when I went to the movies with my parents I didn't sit with them. Just because people don't have kids sitting next to them doesn't mean their kids aren't there somewhere... though I'm sure a few adults did want to go by themselves, but still very very few.

As for LOTR. It'll pass Harry eventually. Not a doubt in my mind. It will gross more overall. LOTR has had decades of waiting and it has a fan base stretching generations. It might take longer, but I think it'll pass it. (this is of course assuming it is actually a good movie, hollywood has butchered plenty of books).

If LOTR doesn't pass Harry it'll only be because less people saw LOTR twice. but if there were a way to count unique people I'm sure LOTR would come out on top.

By the way I'm also counting video sales/rentals in on this. Alot of Harry's traffic is going to be families. Mom Dad Sister Brother. Thats 4 people from one family seeing a movie. So while many people may be seeing Harry the fact is that its a less amount of families or households than will see LOTR. So when it comes to buy or rent movies, whereas each family needed 4 tickets, they only need 1 movie.

If there is a way to check on retail sales of movies/dvds I'm betting you'll be suprised when Harry comes out. Compare sales of Harry to TPM and you'll notice a suprising differance. It won't be proportional.

Maybe, maybe not...I'm concerning with the Box Office only at this point. If you want to put up an actual bet on LOTR earning more in the US during it's B.O. run than Potter, you just say the word. A friendly little bet to make things interesting would be fine by me. If I lose, I'll admit it gracefully.

LOTR is more popular overall. LOTR is not, IMO, necessarily more popular now, and the United States, to boot. LOTR sold, what, 100 million copies over several decades? Potter sold more in 5 years. I wouldn't compare one to the other, because as far as I'm concerned, they're apples and oranges really. However, I do think Potter is a more appealing commercial commodity, even though I expect LOTR to be a better movie.

It wasn't even close. Ocean's 11 clocked in at $39,255,000 for the weekend. Harry Potter came in with $14,805,000 for the weekend.

Yep, a butt-whooping (well, sort of). Both films, however, took in a few million more than most predictions had given them credit for. Potter looks to DEFINITELY pass "Shrek" now, though it may take a few weeks. "Ocean's Eleven," however, won't crack the symbolic (to the movie itself) $160 million mark, though...it's not likely to keep up such a pace. I'll go start a poll on it.