Hysterical - a work of comic genius

→ in
Tools    

I'm gobsmacked that I, who fancies himself a comedy nerd, had never seen this all-time comedy classic. Alan Arkin and Peter Falk have LEGENDARY comic chemistry. Amazingly, Arkin had a hunch about this when he saw Falk on a talk show - they'd never met - and asked Falk if he wanted to make a film. This screamingly hilarious film was the result.

The setup is classic odd couple. Vince Ricardo (Falk) and Sheldon Kornpett (Arkin) are prospective in-laws; their children are to be married in a few days. Sheldon, a dedicated and incredibly straight dentist, has never met Vince because he is always on an international trip, supposedly because he is a business consultant.

The two first meet at a dinner a few days before the wedding. Vince immediately triggers Sheldon's suspicions when he tells outlandish stories about giant flies stealing native babies.

The next day Vince visits Sheldon at his office to ask for a small favor... the result is Sheldon's complete descent into madness, car chases, gun fights, and tons of Latin American shenanigans. I'm sparing the details, as you should experience this on your own.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It's been many years since I saw The In-Laws, but it was one of my favorite movies when I was younger. Peter Falk and Alan Arkin were so funny together.

I haven't seen the remake, but I heard that it was pretty bad compared to the original.

I haven't thought about this movie in years. In fact last time I saw it it was part of a double feature following the original Police Academy at the drive-in's, wayyyyy back when. Think its long overdue revisiting this.

The less said about the remake, probably the better.