Have any movie scenes filmed close to your home?

Tools    

Two movies that I know of which later received rave reviews were both filmed (in part) within 2 miles of where my home was located Montana.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot:
If you recall the final scene where Lightfoot (Jeff Bridges) was dying from a brain hemorrhage while Thunderbolt (Clint Eastwood) drove their new Cadillac, that was filmed within 1/2 mile of where my home was later built. The majority of that film took place in Great Falls, MT and surrounding areas, and as remote as Fort Benton, MT. That gorgeous canyon they drove through at the end was in the Missouri river corridor along I-15, just as the Missouri river leaves the mountains and enters the plains to the East. The nearest towns to that scene are Cascade, MT and Craig, MT.

The Untouchables:
Remember the shootout between Elliot Ness (Kevin Costner) and the rest of his untouchables against Al Capone's gang on the old steel bridge? That scene was shot within two miles from where I later lived, and almost the same place the Thunderbolt and Lightfoot scene was shot. Only instead of being on I-15, it took place on the old river frontage road which was there and used before I-15 was built.
No, that was not the Canadian border as the movie portrayed. The cabin Ness' guys waited in was not a prop. I saw the cabin when fishing in that area. After the movie, the land owner tore it down because too many people would trespass to get in it, take photos and steal souvenirs from the movie. A shame. The cabin was so cool!
Tower Rock State Park is just to the North of the steel bridge (within a few hundred yards actually), where Lewis and Clark climbed, camped, sketched art of the view, and documented that part of their journey.

I lived in Paterson, New Jersey for 11 years where the town practically closed down when two different Denzel Washington movies filmed scenes there...The Preacher's Wife and The Hurricane. After viewing the recent Jim Jarmusch film Paterson with Adam Driver, confirmed that scenes from that movie were filmed there as well.

⬆️ I loved the movie Paterson.

My Victorian house would be great for a movie & I’ve always fantasized about a scouting crew discovering it.

I would love it since they would have to fix certain things in the house that husband has neglected or ignored or both.

no cause i live in a country here in australia
I've seen quite a few good "westerns" filmed in outback areas, some movies in Queensland too. How about Mad Max?
G'day and don't drink yourself pissed!
BTW, Ever since visiting Australia and playing military war games with your army in Queensland, I've always wanted to move and live in your country permanently.

I've seen quite a few good "westerns" filmed in outback areas, some movies in Queensland too. How about Mad Max?
G'day and don't drink yourself pissed!
BTW, Ever since visiting Australia and playing military war games with your army in Queensland, I've always wanted to move and live in your country permanently.
im in sunshine coast in a country in queensland, we never have anyone filmed here in a small town where i live

groundhog day was filmed like thirty minutes from my house. i've been to the town square many times and have driven by the bed and breakfast. that's all i can think of
criticker

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Girl, Interrupted was filmed in Harrisburg, PA where I once lived. Also, I used to live in Gettysburg where the movie Gettysburg was filmed.

I used to live in Berkeley, so there have been quite a few movies filmed in the area. The easiest to recognize is Made in America because it was both filmed and set there. Filming took place a year after I left, so it looks just like I remember it. Sadly, Berkeley has taken a very hard turn for the worst due to my absence. The geography isn't quite correct, but all of the outdoor scenes make watching it like a blast from my past. Even Danson's character is a spoof of Cal Worthington who ran numerous used car commercials with various zoo animals on late night TV. Whoopie's African store is a ten minute bicycle ride from where I lived.

groundhog day was filmed like thirty minutes from my house. i've been to the town square many times and have driven by the bed and breakfast. that's all i can think of
Will you please repeat that? Okay, I'll see my way out now.

The Bollywood movie Daud was shot near my house.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0118931/

The film crew found it better to shoot that film near my house, as the movie involves a couple hiding in a forest area for a small part of the movie.

My apartment building is near a famous National Park. The area is fairly developed now, but in the late nineties when I moved here, it was fairly underdeveloped. There were just a couple of buildings near the base of a mountain that seperated us from the National Park.

Back then we would usually spot pythons, vultures, monkeys, huge frogs, snakes, mongooses (who always beat the **** out of stray dogs), peacocks venturing out. On rare occasions leopards would come out to pick up stray dogs at nights.

Anyways, we did meet the actress, but didnt think much of it as kids. The lead actor was a snob.

When I lived in Portland, OR the bookstore where I worked was used for a scene in the movie Bigger Than the Sky. I was the designated employee who stood around all day to make sure nothing was damaged.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The only one I know of was Big Fish in Montgomery, AL and Tallahassee, FL. I went to Auburn Uni JUST before that film released. I remember people talking about it but never saw anything of its production, myself. Funny, both Montgomery and Tallahassee about about the same 2.5 hour drive for me now. Opposite directions, of course. I don't remember the details, but reading now it appears that the campus in the movie was supposed to represent Auburn but was filmed elsewhere. Interesting.

For you SEC nuts that plan to visit AU, when you walk between the stone eagles off Toomer's Corner heading onto campus, make a mental note that for almost one entire week there hung a silver urinal at the base on the right-most eagle. An art school friend and I found it one night behind 4th Quarter's (local bar) dumpster. We had a class assignment to bring a found object in to hang on the recently planted holly shrubs the then university president's wife had installed to hide our art department building from view when standing on Toomer's. This was a bs protest assignment btw. Kids were bringing sneakers and plastic cups, all painted whatever to hang like christmas tree ornaments. We had to one-up everyone with a urinal.

We found it and were all goofy excited, then ran to Checkers (fast food joint I worked at, at the time,) to get some rubber sanitary gloves so that we could move it without being totally grossed out. This was around 10 at night probably. We hid it behind the hedges of our building and broke into the janitor's supply closet for cleaners. Luckily, there was a hose outside so we scrubbed it up and took into the studio to dry. Once dry, we sprayed it with a can or two of chrome spray paint and noosed-it-up over one of the stone eagles (feet, not its neck!), hanging deliberately framed against the brick column on which the bird perched. This was around 5-6am probably.

The next day we found the grounds keeper attempting to cut it down. We stopped him claiming that it was a class "art project" and he seemed confused, but allowed it to stay. By the end of the week kids had placed flowers into this urinal as if it was some kind of altar. So many, in fact, that there was a pile of slowly rotting flowers overflowing onto the ground below. It was about 50/50 who supported or loathed it. it made campus paper twice, campus radio for maybe two weeks with people complaining, and maybe 2/3rds of the "graphic design" senior class denouncing us fine art majors and disrespectful hippies.

What was the topic again? I may have shared this story before. I do that sometimes.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Where do I start; there's been a bunch of them. I'll start home-grown with John Waters. His early movies were all shot in familiar locations near where I live in Baltimore. The early, early ones like Mondo Trasho, Multiple Maniacs and Pink Flamingos had supporting cast members that I went to school with and the cinematographer was a neighbor who had a movie camera. I was aware of the filming, didn't have any role in it, but people in the neighborhood shook their heads over the possibility that this tall, odd man could make a movie that anybody would actually pay to see. The identity of Divine (Glenn Milstead) was a secret at that time. It's almost hard to believe but Waters attended an elite private school, Boy's Latin, that is uphill from where I live today. He went to college at the Maryland Institute, a couple blocks from where I worked. He was a regular at Martick's Restaurant, a one-time beatnik bar in downtown Baltimore, a great, memorable place where I ate many meals in its later days as a restaurant.

I have a cousin who lived in a house that had been used as a set in Desperate Living and had some of the left over props and several cast members are still people I see now and again. Many things are mentioned in his early movies use names that were completely familiar to someone from my part of town, although movie audiences probably think they're made up. Outsiders would not catch the satiric references known to locals.

I managed to attend gala "world premiers" of several of them in a local college attended by Waters himself and the "Stars" and recall leaving one. An obviously inebriated fan walked out of the theater and emptied the contents of his stomach on the sidewalk. People commented that the movie just got its first review.

Most of his early cast members were neighbors and locals, known as the Dreamlanders - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamlanders

Back then we would usually spot pythons, vultures, monkeys, huge frogs, snakes, mongooses (who always beat the **** out of stray dogs), peacocks venturing out. On rare occasions leopards would come out to pick up stray dogs at nights.
Has India ever considered spay/neutering its stray cat & dog population? It works wonders you know.

Has India ever considered spay/neutering its stray cat & dog population? It works wonders you know.

Yeah, I wish. Apparently, 20000 people die each year from rabies due to dog bites.
The Supreme court has forbidden government agencies from capturing strays. Animal lovers feed them (guilty myself when it comes to cats), and increasing their numbers.
The NGOs/goverment organisations tasked with spaying/neutering aren't doing a good enough job.

The beginning of Midnight Cowboy where Joe Buck is leaving his hometown was filmed in my hometown. That bit where he's walking past an abandoned theater was like a quarter mile from my childhood home.

Animal lovers feed them (guilty myself when it comes to cats), and increasing their numbers.
If you really loved the cats, get them fixed. Or don’t feed them: don’t “feed to breed”, as we say. It makes the males stronger & more likely to procreate & condemns the females to a miserable life of kitten litters at least twice a year.

Once you feed a cat, you own it. Please do the decent thing & get them fixed.