Have any movie scenes filmed close to your home?

Tools    

If you really loved the cats, get them fixed. Or don’t feed them: don’t “feed to breed”, as we say. It makes the males stronger & more likely to procreate & condemns the females to a miserable life of kitten litters at least twice a year.

Once you feed a cat, you own it. Please do the decent thing & get them fixed.

Agree. My stray has been spayed and vaccinated and is kinda adopted. She lives in our office now.

There have been several films shot in the hotel and tourist area of the city I live now, but the closest I can say I've been to the filming of a film was Fast Five. Most of the final car chase was filmed in the main business area of San Juan, Puerto Rico (posing as Rio, of course) and I used to drive right through there on my way to work.

I even saw the bank that they crash through, with vault and all, as they built it up during the course of a couple of weeks (they built the facade and a dummy inside on a parking lot), and then seeing it just torn down.

Anyway, as cool as it is, it's a bit distracting when you watch the film because as I'm seeing them drive from here to there, over what's supposed to be a long stretch of street in the film, I know they're just going back and forth and side to side over what is essentially a block or two

Anyway, as cool as it is, it's a bit distracting when you watch the film because as I'm seeing them drive from here to there, over what's supposed to be a long stretch of street in the film, I know they're just going back and forth and side to side over what is essentially a block or two
That happens to me all the time, but the opposite. Like someone might walk from one building to another, but in reality they're filmed at opposite ends of the city. So for a second I'm thinking "wait-they WALKED there?" but then I remember that I'm not supposed to know where these buildings are in real life.

A system of cells interlinked
Absolutely.

I live in a town about 25 minutes outside of Boston, and MA gives great tax breaks to film makers. Many, many films are shot around here. The obvious stuff like The Town and The Departed come to mind, and fairly recently, Some of the scenes from Knives Out were shot right down the street from my house. The scene with the testing facility that gets set on fire, a sort of round, one story building, used to be the RMV here in my town.

One of the earliest movies: The Great Train Robbery (1903) - called the first action movie - was filmed partially in my hometown in NJ.

The Edison Manufacturing Co. was behind the film and the towns of Edison & Menlo Park (where Thomas Edison had his lab) are close by.

There is a place we call "The 50 ft. Trestle" (don't know if it has an official name, but that's what we called it).
It used to be back in the woods and you had to climb a hill and take a short trail to get there, but I haven't been there since I was a teenager. It was dangerous to cross as a kid because a train could come at any time - just like in the train scene from Stand By Me...(yet cross it we did)!

A fall over the side would probably mean certain death (I think 50 ft. was the train trestle's height above the ground as it was many yards long - probably take a good 2 minutes to cross on foot at a steady pace). The good thing about it was the ties were spaced closely together so you couldn't fall in between them, but you could easily go over the side. It's still in use (as I sometimes have to stop for trains at the train tracks in town which lead to the trestle).

Hey! Lookee here - I found one photo of it on the Internet!

Anyway, that trestle with trains crossing it was used in the film.

⬆️ So dangerous! Is this a current photo? Because I would be surprised if this were allowed to be like this today. I live close to railroad tracks that are way below street level & there’s no way anyone could fall down there or get on the tracks in any way. The protective fences are very high & have a curved top to prevent anyone throwing anything onto the tracks. (Having said this, there are bits of graffiti down there & I do recall there’s a couple of places where one could scramble down the embankment.)

Your trestle is beautiful though.

The scene in Borat Subsequent Moviefilm where he walks into a synagogue dressed as a stereotypical Jewish person was filmed very close to my home. In fact, it's in walking distance! It's odd to know that there was a point in time when I could have taken a walk down my street, turned my head and seen Sasha Baron Cohen.

The recent Judi Dench film 'Six Minutes to Midnight' has a few scenes (castle, sea scenes and airplane scenes) that were filmed right next to the village I'm from in Wales.

The recent Judi Dench film 'Six Minutes to Midnight' has a few scenes (castle, sea scenes and airplane scenes) that were filmed right next to the village I'm from in Wales.

Wow, I should check this out. One place I stayed during my honeymoon is in Saundersfoot, which isn't too far away from there. Beautiful little country you've got there.

Wow, I should check this out. One place I stayed during my honeymoon is in Saundersfoot, which isn't too far away from there. Beautiful little country you've got there.
Thanks. I used to go to Saundersfoot and Tenby every Summer as a kid!

⬆️ So dangerous! Is this a current photo? Because I would be surprised if this were allowed to be like this today. I live close to railroad tracks that are way below street level & there’s no way anyone could fall down there or get on the tracks in any way. The protective fences are very high & have a curved top to prevent anyone throwing anything onto the tracks. (Having said this, there are bits of graffiti down there & I do recall there’s a couple of places where one could scramble down the embankment.)

Your trestle is beautiful though.
Hi Stirch.
I don't know if that photo is recent or very old - I found it kind of by accident on an obscure website, but couldn't find any photos when doing a general search for it under the name of the town (Milltown).

It looks similar to how I remember it - except the photo doesn't do it justice for capturing it's actual length and height (photos often seem to compress those things).

I was never afraid of heights, but I always felt trepidation when approaching this trestle because it was so high up and seemed to go on forever... and if you heard a train whistle in the distance while crossing your blood would run cold.

You may be correct that the township may have taken efforts to keep people off it - I don't know - the last time I was there may have been 30-40 years ago! There are no stories of anyone falling off it though - which is good.

Captain, I believe that photo might have been taken in 2015, at least that's that the URL of the image says:
lowerraritanwatershed.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Milltown-train-tracks-50-footer-Perils-of-Pauline.jpg

The FJ Holden, an Aussie film from 1977 with dubious acting, was shot in the very suburb I lived in. You can actually watch the entire movie on YouTube, if you had nothing better to do. I can't post a link as this is my first post, but just search for it.

Thanks. I used to go to Saundersfoot and Tenby every Summer as a kid!
My parents used to take us to Rhyl. I have not a single memory of the place.

My sister got her college degree from Aberystwyth Uni & my youngest bro used to live in Wales though I can’t for the life of me remember where.

I was never afraid of heights, but I always felt trepidation when approaching this trestle because it was so high up and seemed to go on forever... and if you heard a train whistle in the distance while crossing your blood would run cold.
As you said, it took 2 mins or so to cross it. Did you ever encounter a train?

Circumstance (2011)
24 hours to kill (1965)
both were filmed close to me here in beirut-lebanon

As you said, it took 2 mins or so to cross it. Did you ever encounter a train?

Not directly... but as Johnny Cash sang... I could "hear that train a'comin!"
(And when you did, you really picked up the pace!)

I even remember kids putting their ear to the rail before crossing the trestle. Don't know if they could actually hear a train approaching from far off that way... or if it just made them look cool to do it!

I even remember kids putting their ear to the rail before crossing the trestle. Don't know if they could actually hear a train approaching from far off that way... or if it just made them look cool to do it!
Crazy teenagers!

Back on the topic - movies filmed close to home - this bunch is Barry Levinson's Baltimore movies, the archetype of which is Diner, in which a group of guys meet in a diner in one of my favorite parts of the city, Fells Point, a very old, gnarly, waterfront, full of bars, local businesses and a carefully maintained, seedy appearance. It's my favorite area in Baltimore, aside from where I actually live.

The other films in Levinson's Baltimore tetralogy are Tin Men, about guys who sell aluminum siding (just like what's on my house), Avalon and Liberty Heights address the lives of descendants of Jewish immigrants (a very large group in Baltimore) in past decades in Baltimore.

These movies have been well reviewed, had star-quality casts including Kevin Bacon, Mickey Rourke, Richard Dreyfuss, Daniel Stern and Ellen Barkin and are completely Bal-Tee-more in ways that any local, including non-Jews, would recognize. They have quick mentions of the neighborhood where I live (Mount Washington). The characters in Diner are locally referred to as The Diner Guys.

Levinson himself is a Jewish guy, born in Baltimore, and his movies are based on his life growing up around here. Chronologically, he's a bit before me, and I'm not Jewish, but I completely recognize the local world he portrayed in these movies; they are my neighbors. If you're a local, the movies in the Baltimore Tetralogy are as familiar as the old socks in your sock drawer. I know where those places are and, if I were older, I'd even wear those clothes.

Levinson has done lots of movies on other topics, but the Baltimore movies seem to be his core.