Your favorite sci-fi movie and a few more

Tools    

One interesting thing I liked about Forbidden Planet was the background "music." They called it electronic tonalities. I loved the sounds which I actually have on CD.
It's Captain Steel's second favorite music score

My voting list from the Sci Fi Countdown
1. Blade Runner
2. 2001 A Space Odyssey
3. Never Let Me Go (2010)
4. Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964)
5. Logan's Run (1976)
6. Planet of the Apes (1968)
7. Solaris (1972)
8. Dune (1984)
9. Forbidden Planet (1956)
10. Soylent Green (1973)
11. Starship Troopers (1997)
12. Another Earth (2011)
13. Gattaca (1997)
14. The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
15. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
16. Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)
17. The Abyss (1989)
18. X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963)
19. Five Million Years to Earth (1967) AKA: Quatermass and the Pit
20. Donnie Darko (2001)
21. Predestination (2014)
22. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012)
23. Mad Max The Road Warrior (1981)
24. Death Race 2000 (1975)
25. Cherry 2000 (1987)

Also really liked these:
Stalker
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
Destination Moon (1950)
When Worlds Collide (1951)
The War of the Worlds (1953)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
The Monolith Monsters (1957)
The Blob (1958)
The Last Man on Earth (1964)
Fantastic Voyage (1966)
The Andromeda Strain (1971)
The Omega Man (1971)
Silent Running (1972)
Dark Star (1974)
A Boy and His Dog (1975)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
TRON (1982)
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)
Terminator (1984)
Mad Max Beyond Thunder Dome (1985)
The Fly (1986)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
Stargate (1994)
Tank Girl (1995)
Powder (1995)
Waterworld (1995)
Strange Days (1995)
12 Monkeys (1995)
The Truman Show (1998)
The Matrix (1999)
Vanilla Sky (2001)
Minority Report (2002)
Solaris (2002)
Moon (2009)
Melancholia (2011)
Upside Down (2012)
Space Station 76 (2014)
Ex Machina (2015)

There are a lot and most of em are from 1970s and 80s
Silent running comes to mind and Outland which i have a soft spot for, i like the realistic down to earth feel of some of those, it feels fresh to watch something different if i can say for example comparing two scifi films
Outland and Alien or comparing those to Aliens, outland has that claustrophobic feel of living on a moon where ore mining operations happen.
THE THING 1982 ALSO COMES TO MIND FOR THAT KIND OF EXPERIENCE, ALL OF THOSE FILMS ARE JUST CLASSIC SCIFI

Some of my favourites which weren't mentioned by others.

Blade Runner 2049
Looper
Zathura (nice little space version of Jumanji)
Children of Men
Serenity (watch the series first)
Titan AE
The Vast of Night
10 Cloverfield Lane
The Host

@Citizen Rules thumbs up for mentioning 'Seeking a Friend for the end of the world'.

I liked Sunshine despite the somewhat weak ending.

Liked Moon as well. And Repo Man has some scifi elements. Silent Running is a childhood favorite.

Pacific Rim (2013), the 2nd part wasn't good enough

A system of cells interlinked
Aside from my #1 choice, it's a tough call. I've seen so many good ones.

1. Blade Runner from 1982. Haven't seen #2 and don't care to.
The sequel is excellent. Definitely worth seeing at least once...

For your consideration: My father, who is in his 70s, and is a pretty big fan of the original, says that now that he has seen the sequel a couple of times, he might actually rank it above the original. I wouldn't go that far myself, but it is a damned good flick.

I liked Sunshine despite the somewhat weak ending.
Yep.

The premise is also a little weak.

Big rock heading toward Earth? Nuke it! (Deep Impact)

Planet's core not spinning right? Nuke it!
(The Core)

Alien mothership screwing things up? Give it a computer virus and nuke it! (Independence Day)

Sunshine take this conceit to the most ridiculous level imaginable.

The sun is dying? Nuke it!

This is a more ridiculous idea than a mouse sexually dominating a blue whale. The sun. A giant fusion reactor. 99.89% of the mass of the solar system and 333,000 times the mass of the Earth will be magically "jump started" by shooting all the fissionable material on Earth to it in a bomb.

Sure.

Great performances, though. Great visuals. Great feel. The slasher turn, however, was just a bit too much. This had the pieces of a great film spliced in with Michael Bay and Freddy Krueger.

Just off the top of my head, some of my faves.

Testament
The Andromeda Strain
Galaxy Quest
The Fifth Element
Threads
Westworld
Wizards
Contact
District 9
Logan's Run
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The Blob ('58)
Soylant Green
Fantastic Voyage
Heavy Metal
Arrival
Children of Men
The Thing
Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('78)
Slither
Tremors
Starship Troopers
Forbidden Planet
The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonsai
The Fly (both)
Moon
Men in Black
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
Coneheads
Idioacracy
Planet of the Apes (both)

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
As they appeared in my recent top 25 submission list:
  • 1. Alien
  • 3. The Fountain
  • 4. Dune
  • 5. Galaxy Quest
  • 19. Bladerunner
  • 20. Dark City
  • 22. Star Wars

Forgot to.mention one good scifi film from.1996
THE ARRIVAL with charlie sheen

My favorite is hard to pin down (obviously), but the one I watch the most if colossus: the forbin project. Not because it's a particularly good movie, but because it's one of those movies I drop into the player, and then fall asleep ten minutes later. Either that, or the andromeda strain for the same reason.

That said, I don't agree that a lot of movies you guys have in your list are actually science fiction. For example, is alien science fiction? Sure, there's a robot human, but he's not important to the plot. At its core, it's a slasher movie with any future science stuff quite peripheral. A real science fiction movie is west world. The future of robotic technology is integral to the plot.

That said, is my pick of colossus: the forbin project actually science fiction? The idea of a computer being used to replace the pentagon is... probably not all that fictional.

Is Frankenstein science fiction or horror? It's certainly science fiction in that we can't quite make a man out of dead body parts quite yet, and it is very horrible to some people. To a scientist like Victor Frankenstein, it's a successful science project that had a few minor technical glitches.

@Insane

Colossus: The Forbin Project, now there's a seldom seen sci fi flick that was in many ways ahead of it's time and was the precursor to A.I. taking over the world in the Terminator movies.

Colossus: The Forbin Project
wasn't flashy or highly action packed but it was thought provoking and had this growing dread that really seemed to extrude hopelessness from the minds of the poor people under this super computer's control.

@Insane

Colossus: The Forbin Project, now there's a seldom seen sci fi flick that was in many ways ahead of it's time and was the precursor to A.I. taking over the world in the Terminator movies.

Colossus: The Forbin Project
wasn't flashy or highly action packed but it was thought provoking and had this growing dread that really seemed to extrude hopelessness from the minds of the poor people under this super computer's control.
I agree. I caught this one a couple of years ago. Walked in pretty much blind and, although I don't think it's without flaws (there's a particularly cringe-inducing twist that knocked it down a couple of notches for me), I still think it was a pretty interesting and thought-provoking film.

My favorite is 2001, but in the same vein as the above, here are a couple of suggestions that might not be mentioned enough or just off the beaten path a bit...

Another Earth
Beneath the Planet of the Apes
The Day of the Triffids
THX-1138
Slaughterhouse-Five
eXistenZ
Upstream Color
Things to Come

...and Aniara! which I've pretty much talked about ad nauseum here but there it is. I also think that, as known as it is, Source Code deserves more praise. It's probably on my 2011 Top 3.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
It's a tough call. Maybe either Planet of the Apes (the original), Terminator 2, The Truman Show, or Minority Report. Perhaps someone can suggest to me which is the best one of my pics?