What's Your Favorite Car Chase....

Tools    

We Own The Night (2007)

Not a very memorable movie, but the scene during the blinding rainstorm, with the constant point of view through the windshield, perfectly captured the confusion and terror of a deadly car chase.

The Chase! SHEEN!

My Darth Star is in for a service
I thought now we are in the 2020s it was time to revisit the car chase.

1. Opening sequence in Baby Driver, average film but the OS is excellent.
2. Swordfish the TVR with Travolta hanging out of the sunroof with machiune guns.
3. Crash scene at the beginning of Need For Speed.
4. Ronin is and always will be a classic.
5. James Bond, The Man With The Golden Gun 360 jump over a broken bridge in Bangkok

I'm thinking of the parking lot chase in The Terminator at the moment

I'm not sure that a race can be classified as a chase, except the cops are chasing them throughout the entire movie, but my favorite is the gumball rally where they are driving through New York. All real cars (not replicas) on real streets, and filmed early in the morning. The ferrari daytona is the same one used in Streisand's version of a star is born, and the Jaguar E type is part of a running gag. Jaguar wouldn't agree to their car being in the movie, so it sits in the garage for the entire movie with nobody able to figure out why it won't start.

I'm not sure that a race can be classified as a chase, except the cops are chasing them throughout the entire movie, but my favorite is the gumball rally where they are driving through New York. All real cars (not replicas) on real streets, and filmed early in the morning. The ferrari daytona is the same one used in Streisand's version of a star is born, and the Jaguar E type is part of a running gag. Jaguar wouldn't agree to their car being in the movie, so it sits in the garage for the entire movie with nobody able to figure out why it won't start.

Love this film and never heard that Jaguar story before. That's great!

To Live and Die In LA

To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)

Going the wrong way on the freeway Billy Friedkin even outdid his own magnificence under the El in The French Connection, which is saying an awful lot. The chase that is the centerpiece of To Live and Die in L.A. is woefully underrated, as is the entire movie. A great, mean, pessimistic cop flick, man. And now thanks to YouTube, you can watch the entire To Live & Die in L.A. scene HERE.

After those two, I'd say The Blues Brothers, Freebie & The Bean and The Italian Job as a top five. Bullitt, The Seven-Ups and Vanishing Point would be just off my list there as honorable mentions, and the stuff in the Bourne Identity remake is good too.
The link is dead, but it is a great scene.

My favorite is "The Seven Ups".
Yeah, that's a great one. I think they were trying to outdo the iconic chase scene in The French Connection (1971), from 2 years before, although the Hackman one seemed to have more anxiety and tension.

I'm still partial to Bullitt (1968), which may have gotten the modern chase scene started. I particularly like the portions in San Francisco. I still don't understand how they'd leap down those 40 degree hills, then make a 90 degree turn at the bottoms!

And Gideon is right. What's Up, Doc? had a great chase scene, which was also hilarious.

The ones they do today though are beyond the beyond. I especially recall one or two from "The Bourne" movies.