Coronavirus

Tools    

My wife is temping at a state hospital so she got the first part of the Moderna vaccine yesterday. Part 2 is the end of January. She said it was nothing and she feels fine.
My mum got her first one a couple of weeks ago so I think it must be her second part this week or next. She works in a residential home. Same with one of my best mates. Both been fine, one had a little bit of an achy arm for a couple of days.

My wife is temping at a state hospital so she got the first part of the Moderna vaccine yesterday. Part 2 is the end of January. She said it was nothing and she feels fine.
At this point I know several people who have received the vaccine (all of them are doctors. nurses, or EMTs), and *fingers crossed* they all seem to be doing well.

⬆️ There have been a few scary reactions, but, by the time I get mine (God knows when that will be), any “wrinkles”, hopefully, will be ironed out.

I get back to the warehouse today and find out there's been an outbreak at my work. Multiple people tested positive and/or in quarantine including at least 1 person each from the office and warehouse. It's not a big company and it's being treated very hush hush which annoys me. This news is apparently at least a couple of days old and I believe everyone should have been informed immediately. I'm only there for a few minutes in the morning and a few minutes when I get back, but I see everyone, breathe the same air, and touch the same things. They load my truck at night and then park it inside.

The ex boyfriend of one of my coworkers and the ex’s siblings and parents all have Covid. Unfortunately the “ex” part of ex boyfriend is not significant because he’s the father of my coworker’s son and his mom usually babysits when my coworker is working so she and her kid are around these people a lot. She found this out sometime over our Christmas break (my office was closed for four days for Christmas). She isn’t having symptoms but hasn’t gotten tested yet. She said she couldn’t get an appointment until Saturday.

I had a horrible headache and spiked a fever when I was at work on Monday. It got to 101.7 Monday evening, but I had taken a bunch of ibuprofen earlier for the headache so that probably spared me from getting even hotter. My temperature has come down to normal and my head isn’t pounding anymore but I got tested yesterday and am waiting for the results. I’m so glad this year is just hours away from ending.

I get back to the warehouse today and find out there's been an outbreak at my work. Multiple people tested positive and/or in quarantine including at least 1 person each from the office and warehouse. It's not a big company and it's being treated very hush hush which annoys me. This news is apparently at least a couple of days old and I believe everyone should have been informed immediately. I'm only there for a few minutes in the morning and a few minutes when I get back, but I see everyone, breathe the same air, and touch the same things. They load my truck at night and then park it inside.
That stinks. I found out that two different people at my workplace have tested positive. (We have the option to work from home, which I have been doing). In theory I am supposed to report back to work on January 10th. I'm really hoping they delay that. The positivity rate in my county is about 18%.

There is no excuse for not immediately informing people.

I had a horrible headache and spiked a fever when I was at work on Monday. It got to 101.7 Monday evening, but I had taken a bunch of ibuprofen earlier for the headache so that probably spared me from getting even hotter. My temperature has come down to normal and my head isn’t pounding anymore but I got tested yesterday and am waiting for the results. I’m so glad this year is just hours away from ending.
Yikes. I hope you have an uneventful recovery, whether it's COVID or something else.

It's not a big company and it's being treated very hush hush which annoys me.
Nothing should be kept hush hush now. Unbelievable that those in charge think this is ok now.

I got tested yesterday and am waiting for the results.
Hope your results will be satisfactory.

The second to last week before I broke up for Christmas holidays at my work, it was just me and one other colleague in the office. He felt symptoms on the Thursday evening, got tested on Friday and got the result back positive on the Sunday.

We were in the same building all week but our work has been good following protocols, hand-sanitisers spread across the building in key areas, desks spread as far as possible, if we speak close together wear masks, don't breach 2 metres. I was surprised that I wasn't told by our health services to self-isolate as a consequence of his positive test but apparently I didn't have to as we didn't have any sustained contact within 2 metres. I had a test on the Monday for peace of mind and was negative anyway. My boss also said for the last week everyone can work at home for a pre-caution.

It's testament to the value of having good procedures in place and a decent team, I feel sorry for the business owners and people who have gone through great effort and spent lots of money to adapt to regulations only to be told they have to shut down often with sub-satisfactory compensation. Like you though Cricket I have heard some horror stories and many companies approach possible cases in completely the wrong way.

The ex boyfriend of one of my coworkers and the ex’s siblings and parents all have Covid. Unfortunately the “ex” part of ex boyfriend is not significant because he’s the father of my coworker’s son and his mom usually babysits when my coworker is working so she and her kid are around these people a lot. She found this out sometime over our Christmas break (my office was closed for four days for Christmas). She isn’t having symptoms but hasn’t gotten tested yet. She said she couldn’t get an appointment until Saturday.
My coworker tested positive.

My dentist told me she got part 1 of the vaccine last week at a local hospital. She said it was all very quick & efficient.

She told me that Connecticut is really working well with the vaccine. Especially compared to some other states.

My coworker tested positive.
Sorry to hear, fingers crossed you won't have caught it from her between your test and now.

Prime minister giving a statement in a few hours here. Probably going to say England is going to go into a third lockdown. Not surprised...

Most of the country is in the highest tier, tier 4, yet we are still getting record amount of cases a day!?!?

Also people still don't know how to wear a mask correctly, still seeing so many people not covering their nose! So many in the supermarket yesterday, and not respecting social distancing, about four people reached over me to get something off the shelf...

Sigh...

@Nausicaä, I was thinking the other day how Great Britain being an island had protected it in WWII (thanks to the RAF, obviously). It being an island has not protected it in any way from the coronavirus. It’s bad here in America, but I feel sorry for my fellow Brits.

Yikes. What will you do now?
I just got tested and am not currently having symptoms, so unless that changes There isn’t much I can do other than try to buy a test and pay out of pocket. My insurance won’t cover another one so soon.

I haven’t been near that coworker since last Monday (two days before I got tested) and she was only at the office for a very brief time, was masked, and I did my best to keep my distance. Here’s hoping I didn’t catch anything.

Terrifying thought: being infected by the virus when a vaccine is close at hand.

I haven’t the faintest idea when a vaccine will be available to me (though I’m told Connecticut is well-organized with this). Got to think positive & be patient, I guess.

A junior doctor's account on working with Covid patients in England. I remember reading something similar from an Italian doctor in April or May, and then another from an Indian doctor. And yet, this still ends up being a horrifying read.

https://unherd.com/2021/01/inside-the-covid-ward/