Is there ever a good time to watch Schindler's List?

Tools    

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
Don't forget your spoiler tags guys... Yoda hasn't seen the movie yet and a few posts above have given away some pretty key plot lines.

Sorry!

CSI NY had a Holocaust theme.

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

there are lots and lots of people out in the world, particularly the United States, who really need to be shaken up a bit.

I feel pretty shaken, and I agree that there are many of "us" that need shaking, but hells bells I feel taken aback by that remark. Maybe a "bit" of the middle east region needs a shake? How do Jews fare in Iraq, Iran, Saudi, etc...? How do gays fare in same places? How do woman for god's sake "fare"there? Yeah we need a clue here in the U.S. - we do.

Okay, here's my point, 7thson:

While it's true that people throughout the world can be utter louts at times, the United States has long been a champion at total ignorance and forgetfulness of history, if one gets the drift. Not long after seeing Schindler's List, I read about an incident in the NY Times where a bunch of high school kids who'd been taken on a chaperoned field trip to see this particular movie began laughing and laughing their heads off, particularly at the grisliest shooting parts. What this goes to show is the total desensitivity that many kids here in the United States have to violence and the suffering of others, and, what was even more apalling is the fact that the teacher(s) present on this field trip attempted to put the best complexion on and explain away this kind of behaviour on the part of the kids, by saying that the kids were young, etc.

That being said, I say that this kind of behaviour is a perfect example of why so many people need to be shaken up, and that, while the kids in question were young, they were old enough to know better. They weren't a bunch of elementary or middle school kids.

Yoda, I was thinking about this thread a while back and wondered if you'd watched Schindlers List yet?
Have you seen a German film called Sophie Scholl? That woud be a really good companion piece to Schindlers List. A quiet film which depicts the courage it takes to stand up against a regime like the Nazis. We might all like to think we'd not be taken in and would fight against something we feel is wrong, but as so often seems the case most people don't have that strength.

Come on, WSS; those are horrible generalizations based on annecdotal evidence. No one is disputing that there are insensitive teenagers all over the place, but it's absurd to use these incidents to indict a society of over 300 million people.

And believe me, it's not that I don't share your distaste for that sort of thing. I can't stand it. Many young people today are so unfamiliar with seriousness in any form that they don't even know how to respond to these sorts of things when they're put in front of them. I'm not saying that excuses it -- far from it. But I think it's different than the kids merely being insensitive, so much as unfamiliar with the idea of reverence altogether. Everything is a source of comedy and taking nothing seriously allows them to maintain the illusion that they're above all of it. It's a very odd, pointless social trend that I often see in people my age, or a bit younger.

Anyway, to answer christine: no, I haven't seen it yet. Finally did watch The Pianist last night, though. Very interesting film. I think I'll be watching Schindler's List shortly.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yes, I give Sophie Scholl and The Pianist
and Schindler's List
. I certainly recommend all three with the same breath... or sentence.

I don't have anything to say about Schindler's List, but this caught my eye:

Everything is a source of comedy and taking nothing seriously allows them to maintain the illusion that they're above all of it. It's a very odd, pointless social trend that I often see in people my age, or a bit younger.
You are spot-on here. I don't know how old you are, but I'm 31 and would also say that for people around my age or younger (and, sadly, even some older than I), life is one big opportunity to make a snarky joke or reference, and once a conversation becomes about something mildly serious, one is met with blank stares and/or derision.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
The title of this thread really caught my eye because I waited about 10 years to finally watch this film because I thought I couldn't take it. Holocaust films tear me up. When I did finally see this film, I was amazed at how different I felt -- instead of feeling despair, I felt hope. This is an amazing film from start to finish and Yoda, I believe you will not regret it one bit. Liam is simply amazing, especially in the scene about the pin (near the end of the film.) This is really a film about the strength of the human spirit, as corny as that sounds.

I felt amazing afterward: first, total respect for Spielberg and Neeson's work; second, fulfilled after seeing such a powerful story. I wasn't depressed at all which is what I thought I would feel.

And about kids -- I teach Media and Spielberg is one of 6 directors I do presentations on. I teach middle schoolers that many times are insensitive and even cold-hearted at times. But, when I've shown a short scene from this film (the girl in the red dress scene), they are fascinated and ask a ton of questions and actually do act reverent. They even want to see more which I can't show them because I'm sorta breaking the rules as it is (it's rated R). I have found their response to rather positive and I feel really good about these kids afterward.

I have finally purchased a copy of Schindler's List. The decision to do so, came after I watched the Pianist for the 2nd time. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, once again, and now its time I see Schindler's List! They're probably quite different, though the context would be the same I predict?

I don't know why I never watched it in the first place? Maybe due to Spielberg...not really a fan , the guy is overrated, I reckon, but who am I to judge?

I doubt there will ever be a "good time" for me to watch Schindler's List any more than there will ever be a "good time" to watch Jaws. As much as buckets of blood put me off, man's inhumanity to man is even worse, and the Holocaust was the worst of the bunch. I can't sit there and watch that knowing what really happened. Yeah, it's great that in real life Schindler helped Jews escape the Nazi murder machine, but that just reminds me that so many "good" people didn't lift a hand to help at all. Worse, how many people in German occupied countries ratted out their fellow citizens because they were Jews! I've read history, I know what happened and why, I know most of the German and Japanese war criminals were never even apprehended, much less punished. In fact, some like Werner von Braun were rewarded with high positions in our space and spy programs against the Russians, our former allies.

I've seen death and cruelty in real life. I don't need to pay someone to see Hollywood reenact it on the big screen. On top of that, I'm not a big fan of Spielberg--he's made very few movies I really like, so I'm not exactly in a rush to see more of his films.

I don't know why I never watched it in the first place? Maybe due to Spielberg...not really a fan , the guy is overrated, I reckon, but who am I to judge?
Who better than you and me to judge? Someone needs to shout out that the emperor is buck-naked. Just cause most folks in this forum would run him for sainthood doesn't mean we're wrong. Our opinions are as good as anone else's, because they are our opinions.

Watch it in between Jurassic Park and The War of the Worlds. The think the three should be grouped as an informal trilogy.

I don't need to pay someone to see Hollywood reenact it on the big screen.
Of course you don't.
---
I saw this when I was very young. Liam Neeson grew up 20 miles from me, so he's kind of got a bit of a following around here. I don't think the movie had the impact on me that it may have now, I must re-watch it again soon.