Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left

Tools    

What exactly are those designed to spark, discussion-wise? You seem to go back and forth from thoughtful to thoughtless (spending a lot more time on the latter). I was getting ready to respond to this thread again, but stuff like this makes me think it's just going to result in the same kind of brush-offs and roundabouts I got the last time.

There really doesn't seem to be any theme other than, left to your own devices, you'll just post really glib generalizations about America, without really knowing much of anything about what life here is actually like. The ratio of claims to knowledge is completely out of whack.

Designed to spark either love, hate or indifference, either one, i'm okay with it. Like the crazy mother f*cker osho said: i want you to either hate me, or love me. I love to disturb people, because, only by disturbing them, i can make them think.

Punching someone in the face sparks a reaction, too. That's a pretty low bar to clear. Hell, it's what trolls do.

Maybe we should strive to spark a particular kind of reaction. Like a good, thoughtful reaction that promotes discussion, as opposed to anything. I don't know why just sparking any reaction--even hate--would be considered a noble goal.

And no, just because you've disturbed or annoyed someone, it doesn't mean you've made them think. Not in any deep, meaningful sense.

A system of cells interlinked
Governments don't need the death penalty to be in that business.
I would amend MClane's statement to say "shouldn't be in the business of killing its own citizens."

You ready? You look ready.
^

Basically, the justice system shouldn't treat death as something that can be codified (who can and can't be killed, what method can and can't be used/etc). It's a slippery slope.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

That has nothing to do with America. I'm pretty sure you can find injustices committed by people against others in every country. What country do you live in? I'm sure I could look up a few examples.

I think we've established that Joao has no understanding of (or interest in) scale or percentages relative to population size, even though that's pretty much the very first thing you need to consider when measuring whether a country has a systemic problem with something.

BTW, that shouldn't be taken for a suggestion that we don't have a police brutality problem. Something's definitely wrong. But I don't see the point of trying to discuss it with someone who continually tries to extrapolate individual events to hundreds of millions of people and goes full-relativism on truth itself when you introduce an actual statistic into the discussion.

You ready? You look ready.
Agreed. It'd be just as fallace if I said we don't have a police brutality because I've never been beaten by a cop.

NOTE: This is not an invitation for any of you LEOs out there...

Some food for thought:
There are over 18,000 Federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies around the United States, and it is estimated that there are between 750,000 and 850,000 sworn officers.
and...
Police Make More Than 10 Million Arrests a Year...
Add to those equations, the almost instant coverage of botched police arrest due to cable news media and internet social sites and it's not surprising that a few high profile police mistakes will make headlines in a big way.

That doesn't mean that police departments shouldn't be learning from any and all mistakes, and they should try to improve on their arrest procedures. But it's not surpassing with 10,000 million arrest that some problems will arise.

Where do i live in? Portugal. You won't find much, believe me. Cops here can't shoot people, they just can't, they're arrested for it. A police officer here was persecuting a van that participated in a robbery, the van was speeding entering a town with people that could be run over, the police officer took the gun, aimed at the tires and accidentally shooted a little bit up because of a bump on the street; he killed a gypsy kid on the back of the van, he didn't knew he was in there, his father brought him to the robbery. He got to pay a huge pile of money and got arrested for 20 years or something. And that was a gypsy kid, you don't live in europe, you just don't understand how nobody gives a flying f*ck about gypsies, nobody likes them. Madonna came here and wanted her bodyguards to wear weapons. We said: "this ain't wild west honey", and she got rejected of course. Even the prime minister bodyguards can't use weapons. Yes, we have some officers with brutality in some of the minorities neighborhoods, and that was something that the TV broadcasts and some protests on the street took care of, at least some bit. I didn't said that was america, i say: living in america. I'm a sarcastic kind of guy, so i remembered that song by james brown. And that ain't people against people, that is a police officer against a civilian, a black civilian that is very important in the equation.

That video was a terrible thing to watch!
We don't get the full context as we can't see what led up to it, but if it is what it appears to be, I hope the victim gets set for life with a lawsuit that will sustain him and his family for the rest of their days.

Where do i live in? Portugal. You won't find much, believe me. Cops here can't shoot people, they just can't, they're arrested for it. A police officer here was persecuting a van that participated in a robbery, the van was speeding entering a town with people that could be run over, the police officer took the gun, aimed at the tires and accidentally shooted a little bit up because of a bump on the street; he killed a gypsy kid on the back of the van, he didn't knew he was in there, his father brought him to the robbery. He got to pay a huge pile of money and got arrested for 20 years or something. And that was a gypsy kid, you don't live in europe, you just don't understand how nobody gives a flying f*ck about gypsies, nobody likes them. Madonna came here and wanted her bodyguards to wear weapons. We said: "this ain't wild west honey", and she got rejected of course. Even the prime minister bodyguards can't use weapons. Yes, we have some officers with brutality in some of the minorities neighborhoods, and that was something that the TV broadcasts and some protests on the street took care of, at least some bit. I didn't said that was america, i say: living in america. I'm a sarcastic kind of guy, so i remembered that song by james brown. And that ain't people against people, that is a police officer against a civilian, a black civilian that is very important in the equation.
A black man is about 2.5 times more likely than a white man to be killed by police. That's a low number when you realize 13% of the population is responsible for 50% of the murders. The best predictor of police violence, warranted or otherwise, is criminality, not race.

As Yoda said, this is not to say that police brutality isn't a problem. It is, but it is overblown.

Portugal is a small country and I've heard good things. The first thing I saw, and I only read the headline, was a group of 8 cops kidnapping and beating some people. Maybe that's rare, but it seems like the type of corruption and collusion amongst authority that you wouldn't find here.

And why exactly is the black community the one with 50% of all murders? That’s the question people know the answer but don’t do nothing about it. I judge country’s based on how they take care of there minority’s.

Portugal was rated the second safest country in the world once, now is forth I think, some American tourist couple got surprised the other day on how our police took care of a theft. Apparently a black man stole an American couple, a police officer saw the situation, and took care of it like you do with a child that takes something that doesn’t belong to her, they were so surprised, they said in America they would probably shoot the guy.

That case, I’m not sure if it’s the same, but police in here like to catch delinquents that simply aren’t put in jail by the judges for small crimes and beat them up, it went bad this time, there were a lot of protests on the streets, those communities did acts of vandalism like in France some months ago, to say: “we can be disturbing if we want to”, and things calmed down. We have much more cases of those communities beating cops with impunity, but in here we know that retribution will only make things worse, for instance, you can’t kill a robber in here, even if he have a gun, some people can’t understand this, but if the robber knew the owner could kill him he would go to the robbery with an intention of killing or be killed, and that’s one of the reasons you don’t have people being killed in robbery’s. We are a very racist country, but most people won’t agree with that.

Just saw that liar Christine Blasey Ford's name in the news again
Probably because of Blasey-Ford's lawyer's (Deborah Katz) telling admission as to the hidden agendas & motivations of her client...

Particularly current what with the conspiracy against Kavanaugh back in the news AGAIN!