Automobilia

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I looked for an auto/car/petrolhead thread and didn't really find anything. Maybe nobody cares, maybe all you MoFos are urbanites who don't own a vehicle.

I just wanted a place to chop-it-up about cars, so here it is. How about a nice bowl of rice to start things off!

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
I mainly am a fan of GM vehicles, in particular cars from Chevrolet. Not many pony cars nowadays.

You ready? You look ready.
GM is the devil incarnate: I will never own another vehicle from them ever again.

Kill one of the oldest car lines in the world and give up the top 3rd spot to **** no honest man can afford. Yup, they are not deserving of my money. Government should have let them fail.

Funny thing is in high school I swore up and down I would never own a ricer. Well, Toyota got me, and my allegiance is unwavering.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

GM is the devil incarnate: I will never own another vehicle from them ever again.

Kill one of the oldest car lines in the world and give up the top 3rd spot to **** no honest man can afford. Yup, they are not deserving of my money. Government should have let them fail.

Funny thing is in high school I swore up and down I would never own a ricer. Well, Toyota got me, and my allegiance is unwavering.
I would buy American if they made cars that suited my taste. Fit and finish is an afterthought in all I’ve seen. Cadillacs are just rebadged Chevies with a premium price-tag. Regardless of any patriotism, I’m not supporting 2nd rate. Is Tesla the best made American car?

Maybe nobody cares, maybe all you MoFos are urbanites who don't own a vehicle.
Not only do I not own a car, I don’t know how to drive either.

Cool idea for a thread.

My daily drive: 1989 BMW E30 318i

My race car: Van Diemen RF93 Formula Ford

What I'd like to own someday: Wolseley Six-Eighty
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	68456   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	68457   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	68458  

What I'd like to own someday: Wolseley Six-Eighty
Are you British? It’s years since I’ve seen a mention of this car & never in America. I think at one time my father drove one of these.

Are you British? It’s years since I’ve seen a mention of this car & never in America. I think at one time my father drove one of these.
Well, Australian. Only reason I know about them is because I watch a ton of 1950's British movies, and they were the quintessential British police car of the day. It's basically a Morris Oxford with improved features like better brakes, an engine with a single overhead cam and some added luxuries. Nothing too flash in terms of performance really, but it has great styling akin to a Buick, with a certain British nobility, especially with the classic Wolseley grill. It has the distinction of being the last Wolseley type produced to feature an original Wolseley engine. This was just before they merged to become part of BMC. And there's still quite a few getting around, and like a lot of old British cars, surprisingly cheap.

And for what it's worth, despite being 7th generation here I still feel like I'm part of the old country.

Not my color of choice but when I was a kid my cousins 16 yo burnout BF had a fast and loud '73 Olds Omega. He was my ride to LL baseball games and pulling into the parking lot in one of these bad boys was pretty awesome. Have wanted one ever since.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The first car that I bought was a 1972 Datsun 240z. Inline 6 cylinder, four-speed manual transmission, and an exhaust leak that would kill a flock of birds. I loved that thing, but was it a lemon. Google those early model Z cars and the rust stories. The car was a unibody with a hollow substructure. Of course Datsun didn't think to add drain holes so when these babies shipped from Japan, they mostly sat idle in the shipping ports for day or weeks at a time. The longer they sat there, the more salt ocean water they took on and without a proper drain, they started to rust from the inside out. Sadly, no one really noticed for 20 years, but by then it was too late. Floorboards were eaten through, firewalls falling apart, and suspension mounts completely nonexistent. You can now order pre-fab floor pans to cut out and replace what little may be left of yours. I'm not exaggerating here. I could put my hand clean through my driver-side floorboard and touch the road. At one point, my strut mount just gave way and my front end bottomed out while driving. Because of the back hatch slope design, wind flow created a slight vacuum pull in the back and would suck exhaust BACK into the hatch area. Spoiler attachments helped tame some of that, but you're stuck with an awkward lip on the back for it. One day, the pivot pin in my stick shifter snapped in half and fell off. I had to rip up the rubber shifter boot from time to time to dig around until I could feel it, then wedge it back into place, all before the driver behind me started honking because I had sat way too long for a stop sign. Stereo didn't work either, but I looked bad ass in that thing. Headphones on with a B-Boost Anti-Skip Sony CD player in the passenger side....

Man, I miss that car!!!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Man, I miss that car!!!

There was a guy freshman year of college that had one, canary yellow, wire spoke wheels and ..... rear window louvres. Yes, it was rad.

The older I get the more I seem to be able to justify louvres on any car.

And for what it's worth, despite being 7th generation here I still feel like I'm part of the old country.
Sounds good.

You ready? You look ready.

Discuss. Go!

I love it’s Americanness.

And last time we rented a GMC vehicle I remember remarking “ok, now I get why the feds use these”.

The only bad thing is that price tag. I remember my old man had a Cadillac dealer trying to sell him an Escalade (S-caw-laud-A). Test drive, got something for doing it and laughed at the guy for thinking he would pay $80k for an American car.

That Hummer could take off, but the Tesla truck “should” be launching in that window for less than half.

I’m ready for a viable electric car. Hopefully it happens in 5 years.

Guy parked on my street yesterday in his 1970 Buick Riviera. Same color as this one. Awesome car & he told me he loves it.

Guy parked on my street yesterday in his 1970 Buick Riviera. Same color as this one. Awesome car & he told me he loves it.
About time Goodwill started selling cars.

I've had/restored three cars. I had a 1959 Chevrolet Biscayne, a 1947 Chevrolet Fleetmaster and a 1957 Chevrolet 210 Wagon.

In general, I'm a fan of big American cars with fins - mostly found between 1957 & 1962.

That said, I'm casually on the hunt for a bullet bird (1961-1963 Thunderbird) like this:

I'd love to own a '60 Fury as well but not a lot of them survived. The sheet metal was thin to lighten them up (adding to performance numbers) and most still out there are are rustbuckets. Still.. cool ride:

@Stirchley

My dad bought a '72 Riviera in '73. Felt like we were riding around in the Batmobile.

Looked about like this one:

Had a Buick 455 in it - probably got 6 MPG but no one cared back then.

@Sir Toose

The neighbor growing up had a MGB and Thunderbird. Not sure what year on the Bird, but the front-end from your pick looks familiar. Black with red interior and a movable steering column.

UPDATE

It's a 63' T-bird with a 135k miles.