Help me in an experiment about ''foreign'' films

Tools    

Di je Karlo?
Rummaging through the internet to find italian films I'd like, I noticed almost all my favourite films are either in Croatian or English, which got me thinking if films are harder to enjoy when you don't understand the language. Specifically, if it makes you ''blind'' to vocal performances, meaning good line delivery won't enhance the experience as much, but bad delivery won't hurt it either.

In order to find the answer, I ask you to watch Rondo, a croatian film in which I liked everything except for the line delivery, and tell me what you think of it.
Don't worry, there's subtitles

Edit: if you can, also watch H-8, which has good line delivery among everything else, and tell me if it feels any different

Rummaging through the internet to find italian films I'd like, I noticed almost all my favourite films are either in Croatian or English, which got me thinking if films are harder to enjoy when you don't understand the language. Specifically, if it makes you ''blind'' to vocal performances, meaning good line delivery won't enhance the experience as much, but bad delivery won't hurt it either.
All languages have their different cadences, and different countries/cultures have different ideas about what makes a "good" performance.

I think that you are correct that there's a certain degree of "vocal blindness" in terms of not knowing if someone is being clunky in their delivery. It's harder to detect stilted speech or odd emphasis in a different language.

On the other hand, there are vocal performances that carry far past the language barrier--I'm thinking specifically of Peter Lorre's performance in M, which was so strong that I remember it being in English just because the meaning was so clear that I don't even remember reading subtitles.

I think that it's easier to enjoy films generally when they are from your own culture, because you are naturally more tuned into the cultural elements and references. You can also pick up better on clever wording. I've had times where I was watching a film in Spanish (a secondary language in which I'd consider myself an intermediate speaker/listener), and my mental translation of a line of dialogue was different than what was printed in the subtitle.

I barely watch films in my own language anymore (English). It's a bit of a generalization but I find the more interesting films just don't tend to come from Britain, Australia, N Zealand, USA, Ireland etc

That is why i never prefer dubbed stuff. Subtitles all the way. Although we might not understand the language, but we as humans do pick up on the intonations and other nuances of a language. A lot depends on the actors skill in portraying a certain feeling also. And if you watch a lot of a certain language, you will get used to it.

That is why i never prefer dubbed stuff. Subtitles all the way. Although we might not understand the language, but we as humans do pick up on the intonations and other nuances of a language. A lot depends on the actors skill in portraying a certain feeling also. And if you watch a lot of a certain language, you will get used to it.
Totally agree. Would never watch a dubbed movie. Bergman movies have to be in Swedish!

I love foreign cinema.. (non-english). I can recommend some films that maybe even unheard of.

I prefer Nordic or Slavic regions. I know some German, French and Italian as well.

The trick is not minding
For the Halloween challenge, most of the films I have selected are foreign, with subtitles. Films like Les Diaboliques, Satan’s Slaves (Indonesian Horror film? Yes please), Under the Shadow, Bhoot, Let the Right One In, and a few others here and there.
I’ve slaps watched a few Giallo films, and a few Lucio Fulci films, and they’re dubbed and you can see how it loses something in the translation sometimes.
Also, I have a film on tap someone recommended me in a attempt to corrupt me (haha)that I should really watch soon.

Yeah, that's true. It feels so weird when the voice doesn't match up with the body language
For me, it’s the atmosphere of the movie or tv series. I cannot imagine watching Scenes from a Marriage, e.g., without hearing them speak Swedish.