Who was the MVP of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood?

Tools    

Movie Forums Extra
  1. Brad Pitt
  2. Margaret Qualley
  3. Leonardo DiCaprio
  4. Austin Butler
  5. Margot Robbie
  6. Bruce Dern
  7. Julia Butters

This was my favorite Leo performance and I'm not really a fan of Leo. Too bad Brad Pitt stole the show or Leo would be my vote. I loved everything about Brad's character, then the finale hit and he became one of my favorite characters of all time. "Nah, it was dumber than that" still cracks me up when I think of it.

I had mixed feelings about this movie. I love all the era references.

I'm not a huge Leo fan - don't know why, he just seems average to me (although I still see his performance in Gilbert Grape as probably his most convincing!)

WARNING: "Once Upon a Spoiler Alert." spoilers below
But it was the same gimmick - or plot device - as used in Inglorious Basterds - which is a movie I really enjoyed.
It's fiction in a factual historic setting - nothing unusual about that, there are thousands of stories that do that, but Tarantino used the same schtick where the fiction literally alters the historical facts & outcome. It seemed fairly predictable that the same device was in use, which gave me a feeling of redundancy. But in a weird way... altering the life of Hitler and the end of WWII seemed a lot more impactful (as a kind of revenge fantasy) than altering the Manson murders. Both are satisfying revenge fantasies, but when I could see it coming in "Hollywood" I felt a little let down - like I was watching the same act dressed up with a different name (if that makes any sense).

Kind of interesting that it wasn't the usual Tarantino bloodfest... until the climax. So that was a bit refreshing.

The little girl on the movie set.