My opinion of 2001: A Space Odyssey

→ in
Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.
I apologize if my statement offends but if someone doesn't at least appreciate what 2001 is trying to do, then they don't understand cinema. It's true. This film is a transcending experience, it doesn't have to be understood to be magnificent. Its supposed to make you think and ponder. I get the deliberately slow pace could throw off alot of people, but if you truly appreciate movies you'll appreciate this film.Maybe not Love, but at least respect it for being something unlike anything else out there. Just my 2 cents.

It certainly doesn't offend me. The typical criticisms of 2001 are breathtakingly trivial as far as I'm concerned. It is so readily apparent that it succeeds in its grandness and mystery that I am infinitely more inclined to question viewer competence. Its appeal is so primal and its ambition so monumental that I can't see disliking it for petty reasons of age or duration as anything more than a damning failure on the part of the viewer.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I'll say this: if I was kidnapped by aliens and were forced to show them one film that shows humanity at its most self-aware, curious, artistic, expressive and developed, I'll show them this.

In my opinion, the most complete effort in all of cinema.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Louis Malle I have to say that I agree completely. Never thought of it that way. Bravo. +1