Stephen King Books to Film Semi-Appreciation Thread

Tools    

value

Is there an author that has had more of his work put onto the silver screen or the small screen for that matter? I've been reading his books since I was about 11 years old and I've been watching his books that have been translated in one form or another into film almost as long. I say semi-appreciate simply because a rather large number of his books have been butchered in one way or another on their way to the screen. I won't bore you with all of them, I'll mostly try to stick with films that I've read the books to as well. Fair enough? I'm also not really interested in listing my "fave" Stephen King movies. I just wanted to talk a bit about his body of work, so if there's already an appreciation thread I apologize, I couldn't find it.

I'll start at the beginning, and probably not surprisingly is some of the best stuff starting with Carrie (1976), still to this day one of the relatively closest adaptations of his work to the big screen, and a truly horrifying look into not just peer-pressure but just how nasty teens can be to each other and then their inevitable comeuppance. Next there is what I'm sure many would potentially call one of the better Horror/Suspense films ever made, I would anyway. Of course I'm talking about The Shining (1980) interestingly enough this is one film that Stephen King has said is not a good adaptation of his book and overall wasn't very pleased with Kubrick's vision. But over the years has softened that stance somewhat, mostly I believe because of the cult following the movie has achieved. As he has in general for most of his books to film even saying: "It's apples to oranges; both delicious, but very different". Creepshow (1982) marks the first time we see King in a small starring role, playing the lonely Jordy Verril and giving us the wonderful saying: "Meteor sh*t!" Also his son Joe King makes an appearance in the film as well.

Now on to a few that I can take or leave alone; mostly leave alone. Admittedly I'm a child of the 80's but that doesn't mean that these weren't good, it just means to me that I loved the books a lot more. First up Cujo (1983) to be followed by, Christine (1983), Children of the Corn (1984), Firestarter (1984) Cat's Eye (1985) and Silver Bullet (1985). All of which I enjoyed immensely when reading but with the exception of Children of the Corn; could not bring myself to watch them again.
value
And then we get a real pip, which Stephen King himself directed. Maximum Overdrive (1986), you may recall this wonderful piece of cheese, (or not... mores the pity) he himself called it a: "moron movie" and King was nominated in 1987 for the honor of worst director by The Golden Raspberry awards and quickly announced that he never planned to direct again. And perhaps again, mores the pity if you love really bad movies.

1986 brought us what he said was up to that point his favorite adaptation; Stand By Me. A good book and in my ever so humble opinion an even better movie. Wonderful performances all around from a cast of rather young men, Corey Feldman, Jerry O'Connell, Wil Wheaton and River Phoenix (R.I.P.) Next year brought another film which had virtually nothing in common with the original text except the name of the book titled The Running Man (1987). Primarily a vehicle for Arnold at the time and I must admit I do have a bit of a soft spot for this particular piece of silliness. Sue me.

In the 90's some will say things got better or much worse, I'm a bit of both. We see a lot more work in television for King but we also get some pretty decent films as well. Starting with Misery (1990), not only is this a great book but Kathy Bates Oscar winning portrayal of Annie Wilkes perhaps will go down in history as the female version of Norman Bates. And one that will be talked over for decades to come. "You dirty bird..." In 1992 King actually sued to have his name removed from the credits of The Lawnmower Man, and rightly so if one were to ask me. It has virtually nothing to do with the novella by the same name except the title. New Line who had the rights to his story decided to combine his title and the movie which was originally to be called Cyber God, I imagine they were simply trying to make more cash by slapping King's name on there. I have to admit that I still pop this one in now and then (Sci-Fi geek and all...) and I don't think its that terrible of a film it just doesn't have anything to do with his novella. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) is another novella to film that yet again takes several liberties with the actual story and yet apparently this one really works for a lot of people. I enjoy it for what it is, but there's certainly better "prison" movies out there if that's you're cup of tea. The Green Mile (1999) to me is not only a better adaptation of King's work but also a better film than The Shawshank Redemption, but that's just me, what do I know. I intentionally leave out most of his stuff adapted for television during the 90's simply because 1. This a movie forum and you can look it all up on Google if you're so inclined. And 2. A lot of it just isn't worth mentioning, sorry if I offend you.

Hearts in Atlantis (2001) is another very loose adaptation from a King book by the same name and yet the title of the novella that spawned the film is actually Low Men in Yellow Coats, so I guess they just liked that title better, who knows. Anyway I'm fairly certain I'm one of only 3 people that actually like the film, due mostly to Sir Anthony Hopkins. I could watch him in most anything. Dreamcatcher (2003) is pretty much a B-grade horror film with some name actors in it, so of course I rather liked it for what it was even though they found it necessary to completely change the ending. I have yet to see 1408 or The Mist but I will and I'm even a little excited about The Mist, that's Frank Darabont directing again so it may at least follow the story pretty well. There's a few others in production now as I write this that may also turn out pretty decent. Time will tell. Tobe Hooper is said to be at the helm of From a Buick 8, so that could be interesting and also Eli Roth is said to be at the helm of Cell. So we'll see.

Anyway, I realize I've left out quite a few, so feel free to chime in with your favorites or less than favorites if you must.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Desperation nicely done by Mick Garris. A little cheesy from some of the cast, but for my $5 it was awesome! Ron Pearlman was perfect casting. Nice look and feel to it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Stand is my favourite King book. The adaptation was reasonable, but probably not the best adaptation. I know it was a mini-series, but it did have a good cast and I'm not sure this could have been cut down to a 2 hour film, it would lose a lot of its epic-ness. As it was, it lost a good deal of the nastier stuff (and The Stand isn't really a horror anyway, so it became really quite tame).

Most disappointing adaptation has to be It...the clown was creepy enough, but a lot of the acting was poor and the climax of the film was changed totally.

good thread man

The Shining will always be my favorite adaption of a King novel even if it is not faithful. We should all be grateful though because the "faithful" film version of it was just very too boring for me to even finish.

The Stand is my favourite King book. The adaptation was reasonable, but probably not the best adaptation. I know it was a mini-series, but it did have a good cast and I'm not sure this could have been cut down to a 2 hour film, it would lose a lot of its epic-ness. As it was, it lost a good deal of the nastier stuff (and The Stand isn't really a horror anyway, so it became really quite tame).

Most disappointing adaptation has to be It...the clown was creepy enough, but a lot of the acting was poor and the climax of the film was changed totally.
I certainly agree with you about the book, the show... Not so much, some things just shouldn't be done. That book is one of them, it will never be made into a good film and even if they did make a decent mini-series out of it, I say: "Why bother?", seriously to do it justice it would really need to be at least 20 hours long so why not just go read the book? I also love IT a great deal and I refuse to watch that stupid mini-series they roll out on Sci-Fi channel every couple of months.

Lets put a smile on that block
I'd like to see an adaptation of Geralds Game. Very awesome book.

But i wonder who would have to sit handcuffed to a bed the whole movie with their bangers out?

I am half agony, half hope.
They should never, ever put his books to film. King says so much in a paragraph, that to try to adapt any of his lovely, wordy books is an exercise in futility. Even his novellas have a lot to say. That's part of the reason I love King's work. His novellas have fared best, with Shawshank (one of my favorite films) and The Mist being very well done, and pretty close to the books. His only full length book that translated well to screen imo was The Green Mile. The others just don't work.

Johann von Goethe

I loved the adaption of 1408. I thought it was really well done. It's too bad really, most Stephen King adaptions arent that great, while the books are amazing. (IT anyone?) But some are really good. I find that the better ones are the more dramatic ones, as in my opinion The Green Mile is the best Stephen King adaption. That damn movie almost made me cry

I enjoyed 1408 too Cygnus

I agree Thurs, The Stand is def my favourite book too, and the miniseries isn't a bad adaptation (didn't King so the screenplay?), it's just that the book is so great I don't think anyone could do it justice.

Also quite like the tv version of Salem's Lot, and like Carrie and The Shining also. What about The Dead Zone Powderedwater? I loved that book and the film was quite effective too - Christopher Walken perfect in the lead role.

What about The Dead Zone Powderedwater? I loved that book and the film was quite effective too - Christopher Walken perfect in the lead role.
I don't know why but for some reason that's just one that has slipped through the cracks on me for years. I was a little shocked when I saw it on the OFSC list and realized I not only hadn't seen the film I also haven't read the book. I have the book on the shelf and just have never gotten to it. I'm sure I'll probably enjoy it though. I was mainly trying to stick to films and books that I've read and seen the film so that's why there isn't more of them here from me. When looking at his body of work and then the films that have sprung from it, there's a pretty daunting list to climb if you want to attempt to read and see them all.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I'd like to see an adaptation of Geralds Game. Very awesome book.

But i wonder who would have to sit handcuffed to a bed the whole movie with their bangers out?
That is a good book, but Stephen King has said in a few interviews that he'd never allow anyone to make a film of it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It's been a long time since I've seen The Dead Zone, so I think I need to rent that and the remake of The Fly to introduce my daughter into earlier, "commercial" Cronenberg.

my favorites are still

stand by me
the green mile
shawshank redemption
and the mist is a new one...

as for tv adaptations

the stand
the langoliers
and yes i liked the shining (tv adaptation) this was my favorite stephen king book by the way

It's been a long time since I've seen The Dead Zone, so I think I need to rent that and the remake of The Fly to introduce my daughter into earlier, "commercial" Cronenberg.
There is a pretty cheap double DVD out now with The Fly 1&2 that's really only slightly more than renting it. I think my pops paid like $5.99 or something like that.

The Green Mile was a wonderful (my favorite) adaptation.

My top 5 fave "Stephen King movies":

5. Stand By Me
You guys wanna see a dead body?

4. Carrie

I don't know what Carrie's big hang-up was with the pig's blood an' all.
I mean, at least she had a date for the prom.

3. Misery
Whether she's starring in this movie or not, Cathy Bates always frightens me.

2. Dolores Clairborne
I pretty much ignored this film when it was first released. I watched on it's first airing
value
on TV and I literally couldn't believe at how good it was. So I went out & rented it, & yep, I was right. It's that good.
The story is just perfect from beginning to end. And Kathy Bates, IMO, turns in an even better performance than she did in Misery. The plot may tend to come off as a bit complicated, but the movie does a great job of walking the viewer thru the intermingling flashbacks & varoius plot points that show the main character's journey to save her daughter from the father's "parental indulgences" & how that struggle can lead us to find strength in the most unlikely of places.

1. Shawshank Redemption
Not since Brian's Song has there been a flick that truly encapsulated the feeling of amorous friendship between two straight men.
Interracial hetero man-love at it's finest.

I think Stephen King is a serious disappointment as a writer. :/
It seems like he writes for the purpose of having his books turned into a movie. He either writes something really good, or something really terrible.

I've seen a few of his films, the non-horror ones are usually rather good ( Stand by me, The green mile, The Shawshank redemption), I also loved Misery, Storm of the century, The mist, Carrie was ok, I remember The langoliers freaked me out as a child, I didn't like the atmosphere at all (I heard it's actually pretty good though). Desperation was so ridiculously bad it has become a great film to watch when you're high...all in all I think the ratio of good to bad is pretty good...

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
It seems like he writes for the purpose of having his books turned into a movie. He either writes something really good, or something really terrible.
I agree. And I think it is safe to say he has written more on the terrible side. However, The Shining is one of my all time favorite reads. And the film adaptation was spectacular. I thought it caught the mood of the book, and the concept of the book, even if it did take major liberties with the plot.

It seems like he writes for the purpose of having his books turned into a movie.
oh no! I don't agree with you there at all Too many of his books depend on written inner thought processes that're so difficult to film for him to be accused of that. You can tell he loves writing and the written word through and though when you read the intros to his books. I've had discussions about him for years and find that he appeals to readers across the board from serious readers to people who don't read much at all, so disappointment? nah!