2001 Space Odyssey in 100 words or less.

Tools    

(100 words exactly!)

Alien entity sends monolith thru wormhole near Jupiter. Monolith imparts concept of tools onto prehistoric man. 4 million years later mankind is on the verge of being destroyed by tools (nuclear weapons). Man is drawn to the moon by the monolith and is directed to the wormhole near Jupiter. Single man is transported thru wormhole and is observed by the Aliens until he leaves his body via death. Alien aids man's spirit onto next evolutionary phase - Starchild - which travels to earth and destroys all weapons. Starchild will now impart the wisdom so that mankind can also further evolve.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Originally Posted by Donnie B.;876862[FONT=Verdana
4 million years later mankind is on the verge of being destroyed by tools (nuclear weapons).[/font]
Not sure if I remember this part of the movie...

Not sure if I remember this part of the movie...
After killing the competition with it, the ape throws his bone up in the air where it jump cuts 4 million years into the future and fades into a nuclear space ship orbiting the planet with a country's emblem painted on it. Camera zooms out to show numerous other ships in orbit with other countries emblems.

You're missing the point.
100 words or less........

The most loathsome of all goblins
Exactly. Synopsis misses the point.
On a related note, does anyone else get really annoyed by DVD/Blu-ray synopses written by people who obviously haven't seen the film?

Exactly. Synopsis misses the point.
I could easily write a 10 page essay on the film but the point of this thread is to try and boil everything down to a super brief simpleton overview.

I'd love to see you take a crack at it since you seem to be a major fan of the movie and have obviously analyzed it in depth.

Why would you do that?
Kind of a fun exercise if you are bored IMO.

I could easily write a 10 page essay on the film but the point of this thread is to try and boil everything down to a super brief simpleton overview.

I'd love to see you take a crack at it since you seem to be a major fan of the movie and have obviously analyzed it in depth.
I'm not saying you couldn't write a long essay, but it would still be beside the point for me, because 2001 isn't about how A plot point connects to B plot point connects to C ect.

I have written some analysis of the film as spiritual allegory at a friend's site. I suppose I could re-post it here if I can find it.

I'm not saying you couldn't write a long essay, but it would still be beside the point for me, because 2001 isn't about how A plot point connects to B plot point connects to C ect.

I have written some analysis of the film as spiritual allegory at a friend's site. I suppose I could re-post it here if I can find it.
Would love to read your analysis.

Thing is with Kubrick flicks is you have the surface "plot" but then you have all of the dual narratives too. My 100 word blip deals purely with the surface story. I get all of the other stuff that's going on though.

I'm sure you've read Rob Ager's analysis.