Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Wake in Fright - 7/10
Made in 1971, same year as a movie this reminded me of (Straw Dogs)... A newcomer surrounded by Bogans who love to drink, shoot animals, psychological (I guess).. I don't think many would like this, though. Not very "accessible", especially with the commercials (didn't know of this particular 3rd party Concast app), but I kept watching, which is more than I can say about a majority of movies I've tried to watch this year... I've actually had this on my to-watch list.... I spent 9 months in Australia, including 5 weeks in Bamawm (another place no Aussie has ever heard of) and I was stuck at the farm/hostel except to get food once a week.

Til Death Do Us Part (Farhad Mann, 2014)

Needed a lot more Alf Garnett imo

Yeah I agree with you, in that I prefer Paris, Texas. I haven't seen Alice in the Cities yet although it looks good. I really enjoyed The American Friend which is a fun movie with lots of great actors in it.

Yeah they all seem similar to each other, it's amazing the emotions De Sica can evoke with the simplest of plots. I need to watch more Italian films.
I gave "The American Friend" a 7/10.. Alice in the Cities, Wrong Turn, Kings of the Road (8,7,6/10, which is not surprising).

I HIGHLY recommend the documentary "Vittorio D".. It's on Amazon Prime. But I really recommend Italian movies in general, which for me, is the country that made the best movies, per.. Obviously, there are many American movies, and many great ones, but there's something about Italian movies and the culture.. Neo-realism, and what came after. The last great one I saw was from 1980, "La Terrazza", probably the best movie I've seen this year (9/10).. Visconti is probably my 2nd favorite director, there's only one or two of his I haven't seen. I'd recommend La Tera Trema, Bellissima, Rocco and His Brothers. My favorite Italian movie is actually "La Strada", but I ceased being a fan after "La Dolce Vita", which I gave a 7.5/10 - I always feel different (sometimes indifferent) when I see it. Maybe it's the debauchery? Maybe it's because I know what he was capable of with La Strada, Nights of Cabiria, i vitteloni

"Fist in Pocket" by Bellocchio is a realistic horror that I highly recommend. "Il Sorpasso" is a very fun and great movie. I could go on and on, but if you name some Italian movies you did like, I might be able to give you more and more accurate recommendations.

I never saw the re-make of "M", but the original German is probably my favorite thriller/mystery.. I did like Losey's "The Servant" and "Secret Ceremony", despite it being a little flawed. Have you seen it? Elizabeth Taylor and Robert Mitchum are in this unique movie. For some reason, it reminds me of "The Night Digger", which I liked less the second time seeing it, but its still good/different.

I also think if you liked "The Servant" that you might like "The Caretaker" (The Guest) with Robert Shaw, who I like (although I don't like Alan Bates).

That low? I was just about to watch that!
You should -- I'm curious what you think of it... I thought I'd love it after the first 10-15 minutes, but I seem to have similar laments as other reviewers on IMDB.

Queen Marie of Romania (2019) - 6/10. The story they were trying to tell was a pretty intriguing one. But somehow the writing was a bit run-of-the-mill biopic type. The acting was fine. The piece of history is also fine. I saw it as 7.8 on IMDB, so gave it a try. But that is really stretching it. It's decent at best. Boring at worst! Woodrow Wilson was again shown as a prick!

'Eternal Beauty' (2010)
Dir.: Craig Roberts

Started off a bit overdone and overacted but ended up a very sweet, touching portrayal of dealing with schizophrenia and disfunctional family. Sally Hawkins and David Thewlis are terrific as normal and the DoP Kit Fraser (Possum, Under the Shadow) has to take credit for giving the viewer some lovely lighting and imaginative shots. Roberts' 'Submarine' was a nice film, but he's ramped it up a bit here - talented young man.

Well worth 95 minutes of your time.

7.6/10

Unregistered User
Wake in Fright - 7/10
Made in 1971, same year as a movie this reminded me of (Straw Dogs)... A newcomer surrounded by Bogans who love to drink, shoot animals, psychological (I guess).. I don't think many would like this, though. Not very "accessible", especially with the commercials (didn't know of this particular 3rd party Concast app), but I kept watching, which is more than I can say about a majority of movies I've tried to watch this year... I've actually had this on my to-watch list.... I spent 9 months in Australia, including 5 weeks in Bamawm (another place no Aussie has ever heard of) and I was stuck at the farm/hostel except to get food once a week.

Great film. a solid
in my book

Unregistered User

The Farewell (2019)

Massive swerve from the films I've recently been watching but no less enjoyable. Beautiful story, really well told and such likeable characters.

Tehran Taboo (2017)

Animation showing the dark side of Iran. Obviously I cant comment on how true it all is but its a powerful watch nonetheless.

The Farewell (2019)

Massive swerve from the films I've recently been watching but no less enjoyable. Beautiful story, really well told and such likeable characters.
Lovely film. Awkwafina very good. Had some similarities to Yi Yi. I wasn't so fond of all the birds and the magical realism around that, it took me out of the moment a bit.

What a terrible story. How could a human being do such a thing?

Unregistered User
Lovely film. Awkwafina very good. Had some similarities to Yi Yi. I wasn't so fond of all the birds and the magical realism around that, it took me out of the moment a bit.

Not got round to Yi Yi yet but it is on the list.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
The Final Destination (2009):
Not bad, good kills, but I preferred the original ending over the one we got.
6.5/10

This Throne of Blood film was really something

Wake in Fright - 7/10
Wake in Fright is one of the best, er, non-horror terrifying movies I saw. It's a hard watch and I don't know if I can watch it again, but I found it to be a really effective and shocking portrayal of toxic masculinity. The kangaroo scene is hard to watch, but it's part of the film's visceral power and, regardless of what you think of the morality of it, it's a really powerful sequence. Glad you also liked it.