Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Hard Target (1993)

A mediocre van Damme that didn't improve on rewatch. I wonder if Woo was serious about this, or did he turn this into a joke after the studio interference, but it feels like a parody of him. There are some nice scenes, but also far too many needless slow-mos and freeze frames. Oh, and too many somersaults and wasted shots.
Watch the directors cut, it’s really good, I know not everyone will like the theatrical version, but this makes it 10x better

I too watched an Almodovar last night - 'Bad Education'. It's probably not in my top 3 of his but this guy doesn't make a bad film. It's a web of deceit based around lies, sex, abuse, mistrust and lust. All the usual messed up timelines and gender / persuasion themes and some of it feels very similar to 'Pain and Glory'.

M.F.A. (2017) - 4/10. Meh to say the least. Contrived plot conveniences. Paper thin motive. Stupid movie decisions, just to make the movie hobble along. Decently acted. Can easily be missed. Revenge came out the same year, although it is not ground breaking itself, is miles ahead of this one.

I too watched an Almodovar last night - 'Bad Education'. It's probably not in my top 3 of his but this guy doesn't make a bad film. It's a web of deceit based around lies, sex, abuse, mistrust and lust. All the usual messed up timelines and gender / persuasion themes and some of it feels very similar to 'Pain and Glory'.
Have you seen much of his earlier stuff? Have to say I thought quite poorly of Pepi, Bom, Luci and Other Girls Like Mom but Dark Habits is actually one of my favourites of his.

Have you seen much of his earlier stuff? Have to say I thought quite poorly of Pepi, Bom, Luci and Other Girls Like Mom but Dark Habits is actually one of my favourites of his.
No I think the earliest of his I've seen is 'All About my Mother'. Which was very good. I'll get round to completing the filmography one day.

No I think the earliest of his I've seen is 'All About my Mother'. Which was very good. I'll get round to completing the filmography one day.
Looks like I'm travelling the opposite direction Next one for me is Broken Embraces. Hope you find at least some of his earlier output enjoyable.

The Wolf of Snow Hollow (2020)

I rarely like horror-comedies, so my dislike towards this doesn't necessarily mean it's terrible. Anyways, the humor didn't impress me, and it sort of ruined the horror part of the story too. Too quirky but not funny, and stupid editing at times. The werewolf itself was good, but that's about it.

The Vanishing (2020)

Pretty functional little thriller that, while predictable, was watchable. Jason Patric plays a grizzled cop looking for the missing daughter of a couple that appear to be having relationship issues. Not bad.

I really liked Jim Cummings' first film 'Thunder Road'. I just love the way he mixes comedy and drama. It's quirky and a tiny bit different to your straight up dramedy. This film isn't a horror film. It's a drama about families. The beast in the film IS Jim Cumming's character. He needs to move on from his demons, let his daughter go, recover from his addictions etc. Be a human again. The way it unfolds is very good.

Horror fans will hate it. That's not Cummings' fault.

I really liked Jim Cummings' first film 'Thunder Road'. I just love the way he mixes comedy and drama. It's quirky and a tiny bit different to your straight up dramedy. This film isn't a horror film. It's a drama about families. The beast in the film IS Jim Cumming's character. He needs to move on from his demons, let his daughter go, recover from his addictions etc. Be a human again. The way it unfolds is very good.

Horror fans will hate it. That's not Cummings' fault.
I really like Thunder Road and I'm looking forward to this one a lot. Having seen his first film, I'm not expecting "horror", but I'm excited to see how a horror framework filters through his creative process.

The Far Horizons (Rudolph Maté, 1955)
+
Watchable enough piece of proto-Herzog

A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Not seen for a while and still consider this to be one of Kubricks real truimphs. The great grimy background against the feral attitude of the Droogs is wonderfully realised against a brutal "modernist" landscape. The story flows from scene to scene and, while dated now, the acting is solid with the occasional burst of pure hilarity (P.R Deltoid and the Patrick Magee character questioning Alex about his meal after leaning what a little murderous ****e he really is!) .
Great performance from McDowell who really excels in this part.

Smokey and the Bandit (1977)

A grand film, love it.

Gali Guleiyan: 9/10.

Really good film, worth watching. It's on Youtube, it's a Hindi language art film. Bajpayee's performance is worth watching!

Ratatouille (2007).

A sweet and funny Pixar film about a wimpy French guy who befriends a rodent Gordon Ramsay. Very enjoyable.

4/5 Stars.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Two Plains & A Fancy (Whitney Horn & Lev Kalman, 2018)
6/10
The Crawling Hand (Herbert L. Strock, 1963)
3/10
Tokyo Sonata (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2007)
- 6.5/10
Hubie Halloween (Steven Brill, 2020)
6/10

Hubie (Adam Sandler) is the nicest guy in Salem, Massachusetts, but most of the townsfolk make fun of him, especially as Halloween approaches.
David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet (3 Directors, 2020)
7/10
Black Box (Emmanuel Osei-Kuffour, 2020)
6/10
Robot Monster (Phil Tucker, 1953)
3/10 Camp Rating: 9/10
Hosts (Adam Leader & Richard Oakes, 2020)
5.5/10

Christmas dinner turns gory when some possessed neighbors show up.
Off Jackson Avenue (John-Luke Montias, 2007)
6/10
Day of the Nightmare (John Bushelman, 1965)
4/10
Books of Blood (Brannon Braga, 2020)
5.5/10
The Forty-Year-Old Version (Radha Blank, 2020)
6.5/10

Once-promising playwright-turned-teacher (Radha Blank) dreams of becoming a rapper - something she's really good at.
The Witch: Part 1 - The Subversion (Park Hoon-jung, 2018)
+ 6/10
The Golden Mistress (Joel Judge [Abner Biberman, 1954)
5/10
Rosie (Paddy Breathnach, 2018)
6/10
My Mother's Wound (Ozan Aciktan, 2016)
6.5/10

Young Turkish Bora Akkas goes in search of the man who raped his mom during the 1990's Croatian War - his father.
The Devil's Messenger (Herbert L. Strock & Curt Siodmak,1962)
5/10
Siempre, Luis (John James, 2020)
+ 6/10
The Lie AKA Between Earth and Sky (Veena Sud, 2018)
5/10
A Wonderful Night in Split (Arsen Anton Ostojic, 2004)
+ 6/10

Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll on New Year's Eve in Croatia.