Scarlett Johansson, JOJO RABBIT
22.22%
4 votes
Florence Pugh, LITTLE WOMEN
0%
0 votes
Margot Robbie, BOMBSHELL
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The nominees for Best Supporting Actress are...

Kathy Bates, Richard Jewell
Laura Dern, Marriage Story
Scarlett Johansson, Jojo Rabbit
Florence Pugh, Little Women
Margot Robbie, Bombshell
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Only seen Marriage Story so cannot poll.

This is a very tough catagory. Of the 4 acting catagories this is the toughest group for mine... and how many times can that be said about the Best Supporting Actress catagory?

From the list Johansson. That role had a little bit of everything! Robbie's nomination is a hogwash. I haven't seen Little Women yet. So cant really say. Is it possible an actress win best actress and best supporting actress in one season?????

From the list Johansson. That role had a little bit of everything! Robbie's nomination is a hogwash. I haven't seen Little Women yet. So cant really say. Is it possible an actress win best actress and best supporting actress in one season?????
Possible, yes. But unlikely.

Adam Sandler's support for Ms. Bates...
That was hilarious!
Why do I have the feeling that this funny exchange will lead to a Waterboy sequel? I'd watch it.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Seen all but Bombshell. Voted for Pugh, but only because I want Johansson for lead. Both were great, as was Bates. Never been a Laura Dern fan, hopeful a performance will change that one day.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Seen all but Bombshell. Voted for Pugh, but only because I want Johansson for lead. Both were great, as was Bates. Never been a Laura Dern fan, hopeful a performance will change that one day.
Didn't like Dern in Marriage Story? I usually don't care for her either but I thought she was good here.

Didn't like Dern in Marriage Story? I usually don't care for her either but I thought she was good here.
Not bad, as I often think. I never feel her on this level though.

I would say, Dern was good. But nothing spectacular. Plus the role was solo tiny. Blink and you will miss it!

Possible, yes. But unlikely.

I think so too.

From the list Johansson. That role had a little bit of everything! Robbie's nomination is a hogwash. I haven't seen Little Women yet. So cant really say. Is it possible an actress win best actress and best supporting actress in one season?
This is the eleventh time in Oscar history an actor or actress has been nominated for two different performances in the same year. Nobody has ever won both, six times they won one of the two, and four times they walked away with nothing. The odds are certainly stacked against ScarJo becoming the first to double up.

The previous eight instances of double nominations for acting were...
  • 1982:
    Jessica Lange (Frances and Tootsie)
    Meryl Streep won Best Actress for Sophie's Choice
    Jessica Lange won Best Supporting Actress for Tootsie
  • 1988:
    Sigourney Weaver (Gorillas in the Mist and Working Girl)
    Jodie Foster won Best Actress for The Accused
    Geena Davis won Best Supporting Actress for The Accidental Tourist
  • 1992:
    Al Pacino (Scent of a Woman and Glengarry Glen Ross)
    Al Pacino won Best Actor for Scent of a Woman
    Gene Hackman won Best Supporting Actor for Unforgiven
  • 1993:
    Holly Hunter (The Piano and The Firm)
    Emma Thompson (Remains of the Day and In the Name of the Father)
    Holly Hunter won Best Actress for The Piano
    Anna Paquin won Best Supporting Actress for The Piano
  • 2002:
    Julianne Moore (Far from Heaven and The Hours)
    Nicole Kidman won Best Actress for The Hours
    Catherine Zeta-Jones won Best Supporting Actress for Chicago
  • 2004:
    Jamie Foxx (Ray and Collateral)
    Jamie Foxx won Best Actor for Ray
    Morgan Freeman won Best Supporting Actor for Million Dollar Baby
  • 2007:
    Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth: The Golden Age and I'm Not There)
    Marion Cotillard won Best Actress for La Vie En Rose
    Tilda Swinton won Best Supporting Actress for Michael Clayton

If I were the betting sort I would say Johansson's first two nominations are going to be losses.

Kathy Bates is the only woman in this category who has previously won an Oscar. This marks her fourth nomination, but first since 2003. She became an overnight success at forty-two when she won Best Actress for her instantly iconic performance as Annie Wilkes in Misery. Her subsequent nominations came here in the Supporting Actress category for Primary Colors (Judi Dench won for her fleeting part in Shakespeare in Love) and for hot tub romancing Nicholson's widower in About Schmidt (Catherine Zeta-Jones won for Chicago). Bates works a lot, though in the past decade it was more television than film. Her turn as the title character's mother in Eastwood's Richard Jewell is that film's lone nomination. She won't win this time but her quality of work is such that it seems like she should get nominated for awards almost every time she shows up on a set.

Florence Pugh is having a breakout year, but it is going to be topped off with this Oscar nomination, not an Oscar win. I thought she was excellent in Lady Macbeth (not a Shakespeare adaptation) from a few years back and she was impressive at the center of "The Little Drummer Girl" television mini-series adaptation of the John le Carré novel (underlining how incredibly miscast Diane Keaton was in the 1984 film version). This past year saw her stand out in three movies: Fighting with My Family, Midsommar, and Little Women. Amy March is traditionally the least liked of the fictional March sisters, but Gerwig's spin and especially Pugh's performance have transformed her into a admirable figure for the first time in all the many, many, many adaptations of this piece. She is also about to appear in the blockbuster Black Widow with fellow nominee Scarlett Johansson as Yelena Belova, another of the girls trained to be assassins in The Red Room. It seems as though this is just the beginning for Ms. Pugh. You will likely see her face a lot in the coming years.

Scarlett Johansson has been a movie star for a while now and finally gets rewarded with two Oscar nominations in the same year. She has a chance of winning Best Actress for Marriage Story but no real chance here for Jojo Rabbit. Like the tone of the movie itself she walks a nice tightrope of silly and serious, of cartoon and of melodrama. While the overdue recognition is nice it won't bring her Oscar gold here. But now that she has these nominations it makes it more likely her work will get nominated again in the future.

Margot Robbie had yet another strong year and could just have easily been nominated for playing Sharon Tate in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. This is her second nomination following her Best Actress nod for I, Tonya two years ago when Frances McDormand won for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Her quick rise to stardom saw award-worthy turns in The Wolf of Wall Street and Mary Queen of Scots on the way here, as well as gaining the fanboy vote as Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad, a role she is about to reprise starring in Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn. Bombshell was less than it seemed it should have been, and the big scene where John Lithgow's Roger Ailes harasses Robbie's Kayla Pospisil (a fictional composite character) has drawn some ire, rightfully so I think, for being as exploitative in its cinematic gaze as the real CEO. Robbie is better than the material here and I think she would have had a better chance at winning if OUATIH were the named nomination, not Bombshell. But Margot will almost surely be back at the Oscars down the line, especially if she continues to work with the likes of Scorsese and Tarantino.

Laura Dern is a second generation actor who has been at this since she was a kid (go back and check out her breakout work in Mask, Smooth Talk, and Blue Velvet as an eighteen-year-old). Her folks, Diane Ladd and Bruce Dern, have five nominations between them: Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Wild at Heart, and Rambling Rose for Mom, Coming Home and Nebraska for Dad. This is Laura's third nomination following her Best Actress turn in Rambling Rose along side her mother (Jodie Foster won for Silence of the Lambs) and in support of Reese Witherspoon in Wild (Patricia Arquette won for Boyhood). That she has had such a long career already, would be the first of her family to win, and by the way is excellent as the cheerfully bitter divorce attorney in Marriage Story makes her the favorite. She has won all of the major awards this season, including the Golden Globe and SAG Awards, and she was also part of Gerwig's Little Women on the big screen and HBO's "Big Little Lies" on the small screen making this her year.

Having finally sat through all of the nominations this is still the toughest group for me to pick. A caae can be made for all of them, though my personal choice would be for Florence Pugh.

What she did, in conjunction with Greta Gerwig's adapted screenplay, with the character of Amy in Little Women was very impressive and, not just relative to this film and this cast but in comparison with previous versions of this also, and that is something that really makes it stand out. Will she win? I don't know, but she has my vote here.

That is not to take anything away from any of these other nominees, or their dedication to their craft or their career achievements, but for what Miss Pugh did in this film in this year, I believe is most deserving.

I went with Laura Dern, all five are good and I do think Jennifer Lopez was not in the top five for supporting actresses.

Florence Pugh - Little Women might have actually been her weakest work this year but if you want to give someone a collective award you go Pugh.

Margot Robbie - I think I like the non-verbal performance in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood over Bombshell but great film.

Kathy Bates - powerful performance from Bates but she's fifth in this group.

Scar-Jo - I love this movie like Pugh and Robbie it might not have been her best work this year but it was a worthy winner.