Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Tools    

Its going to be released in theaters on August 15, 2008. It is going to star Anthony Daniels, Matthew Woods, and Samuel L. Jackson in this CGI animated film. After its release, there is going to be a series on Cartoon Network named Star Wars: The Clone Wars (supposedly taking place after the movie). It is distributed by LucasFilm and is rated PG so far. (Info from en.wikipedia.org)

A system of cells interlinked
Funny, that series sounds a whole helluva lot like another series, called, surprisingly, Star Wars:Clone Wars.

Dear George Lucas,

Please stop.

Thanks,

IBeSickOfStarWars

Star Wars is so 3 decades ago. I know, because I was there.

In the Beginning...
I never thought Star Wars fans would ever find themselves saying, "Enough, George! Enough! We don't want anymore!" But I guess everything runs its course. I just still can't figure out how in the world something as pure gold as Star Wars ever got ruint.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
George Lucas owes me one childhood.
George Lucas doesn't owe you anything. Besides, if you're no longer a child, you don't really need a childhood anymore, right?

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I hope this is good. From the previews, the overall quality seems more like a video game than it should be. But it's Star Wars. I gave my soul years ago.

In the Beginning...
George Lucas doesn't owe you anything. Besides, if you're no longer a child, you don't really need a childhood anymore, right?
It's kinda like this.

When I finally moved out on my own as a bachelor, you knew I didn't have much furniture to start with, so you bought me a couch. A nice, shiny, awesome leather couch with little pillows that had pictures of awesome things knitted into them. And I enjoyed this couch for years and years, and eventually got married, had kids, and moved into a house of my own with my beautiful family. But I took the couch with me, you see, because it's near and dear to my heart, and reminds me of good times long past. And then one day, you came to my house and crapped all over it.

I'd say that means you owe me a couch.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
It's kinda like this.

When I finally moved out on my own as a bachelor, you knew I didn't have much furniture to start with, so you bought me a couch. A nice, shiny, awesome leather couch with little pillows that had pictures of awesome things knitted into them. And I enjoyed this couch for years and years, and eventually got married, had kids, and moved into a house of my own with my beautiful family. But I took the couch with me, you see, because it's near and dear to my heart, and reminds me of good times long past. And then one day, you came to my house and crapped all over it.

I'd say that means you owe me a couch.
Well, yes, because a couch is a physical object. I don't see, however, how the prequels being less than stellar should taint your memories of the originals. Yes, I will admit that Jar-Jar Binks was kinda crappy, but it's not like his existance erases the memory of seeing the first film at age four with my dad, mum and my older brother at a drive in, sitting on the roof of the car with my little radio for sound, totally enthralled, nor do they take away from the quality of the original trilogy. The only way, I would think, that George lucas could ruin Star Wars for me is if he'd burnt down my house wearing a chewbacca mask, and even then only MAYBE would it be ruined for me.

In the Beginning...
Well, yes, because a couch is a physical object. I don't see, however, how the prequels being less than stellar should taint your memories of the originals. Yes, I will admit that Jar-Jar Binks was kinda crappy, but it's not like his existance erases the memory of seeing the first film at age four with my dad, mum and my older brother at a drive in, sitting on the roof of the car with my little radio for sound, totally enthralled, nor do they take away from the quality of the original trilogy.
Actually, for me, they do.

You're right, the memories of the couch haven't been erased. I still remember when it was pristine and comfortable and awesome. But that doesn't change the fact that now it will never be the same.

Jar-Jar Binks isn't the problem. There are many problems. Jar-Jar is just typically used by fans as the external manifestation of post-1998 (read: terrible) Star Wars. But what a lot of semi- or non-fans of Star Wars doesn't seem to get is: George Lucas, in large part, changed his own formula. Instead of a fun, straightforward adventurous romp that made you feel like the galaxy was immense but still somewhat mysterious, he opted to make his prequels a complex, highly political drama marathon that made no bones about showing all its cards upfront. And badly.

The writing is terrible. The staging is terrible. The acting is terrible. The pacing is terrible. The prequels, I feel, just tried to be too important. They tried to re-capture that wonder and awe that we all felt in the original trilogy whenever the Jedi were oh-so-briefly addressed, and then hose it back to us at 1,000 gallons per minute. It went through the motions with the music, the sound effects, the screen wipes, the token voice-overs, and all the other flakes of style that make up the collective cereal that is definitively Star Wars. It's just that somewhere along the way, the story was neglected, and the keys to the success of the original films forgotten.

We all love the originals because the characters are charming, unique, and memorable; and because the story is riveting and easy to follow. The chemistry is there. The harrowing sense of adventure is there. Even though we can plainly see that it's "a galaxy far far away," we feel at home.

But in the prequels, every character is either wooden and uninteresting (so much so that no character seems to differ from another) or ridiculously over-the-top. And like I already said, the story is unnecessarily complex and superficial. We understand where the humanity is supposed to lie (Anakin and his mother, Anakin and Padme, Obi-Wan and Anakin, etc.); but these characters aren't like real people, so we fail to empathize with them. And we fail to understand or even care about the politics of the story because, in the end, it doesn't hit us anywhere we'll really feel it.

Look, I think some great stories could have been told. But the greatest misstep of the prequels, I would argue, is always choosing to be the prequels to the classic trilogy. With all that money and all those resources, they never seemed to even desire to be anything more than just the "much sought-after" setup for the films we all know and love. Lucas seemed to like to think that the "real story," as he called it (the Anakin story), was the one everyone wanted. But we never did. We never needed it. Our imaginations could do the rest. That, I think, is the magic that has been lost. Now, we can't dream of the times that were... the times we weren't allowed to see. Hence, the tainted childhood.

In that respect, I loathe Revenge of the Sith. Mechanically, it's the best film of the three, no question. But it's also the one that runs right into A New Hope. Right into it. Bleeding all that taint that at least existed outside our beloved trilogy into it forever. It's not chilling, with the 70's aesthetic style and traditional "Star Warsian" design, as Lucas probably intended. It's just silly and depressing. Darth Vader yelling "NO" like Frankenstein's monter is not heartfelt; it's just ridiculous. But this is what we're left with, and watching it, we know it's the end. Not in that solemn-but-warm-and-fuzzy kind of way; but the kind of way we feel when we finally learn that Santa Claus is fiction, and we're forced to shoulder a little more weight of the world, and move on.

Is this a 3D animation of the same 2D animation that was released before??