A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Victim of The Night

WOLFEN - (1981)

1981 was really the year of the wolf, what with The Howling and An American Werewolf in London also being released, both within three months of Wolfen coming to theaters. This isn't a werewolf movie though, Wolfen is a mystery/police procedural that focuses on Native American legend and spirituality. There's a lot of pretty neat biting done, with both hands and heads flying off in all directions - and in the meantime Albert Finney, Diane Venora, Gregory Hines and Tom Noonan trying to get to the bottom of matters. There's some nice photography in the barren South Bronx area of New York, which was in full 'urban decay' mode at the time. It has the look of a bombed out wasteland, and looks perfect for a horror location filming-wise. Finney was in his mid-40s, but looks old - and I wondered if that was down to hard-living or genes. Anyway, as a whole the movie has some interesting ideas and a solid screenplay, but it didn't grab me - I think it lacked a little excitement, and I think Finney was a strange choice as the lead in this. Still - if you love wolves, then you could do a lot worse. It embraces the whole spectrum of lore and meshes it with it's urban location - and that's worthy of some praise.

Udo Kier? : No

Jump Scare Meter : 2/10
Discomfort : 6/10
Art : 6/10
Weird : 7/10
Fun : 4/10
Interesting : 8/10
Enjoyable : 5/10
Exciting : 4/10

Overall : 6/10
Aw.
I used to love Wolfen.
I haven't seen it in about 20 years and was looking forward to it, now I wonder if it will just not hold up.

Victim of The Night

TERRIFIER - (2016)

I honestly never knew that some people were afraid of clowns until I saw the Seinfeld episode where Kramer reveals his phobia. In the meantime, the whole "scary clown" phenomenum took off in a big way, and I'm pretty sure Coulrophobia is common knowledge now. American Horror Story Freak Show (2014-15) gave us what could possibly be the best horror clown in Twisty (played by John Carroll Lynch), the horribly disfigured, somewhat insane and absolutely terrifying figure who in his mind is only trying to do good. Terrifier's clown "Art" made his first appearance in short film The 9th Circle (2008), made his feature film debut in anthology movie All Hallow's Eve (2013) and then struck out on his own in this one - Terrifier. He's a neat creation, but the film itself is your basic slasher, with little apart from Art the Clown to distinguish it from any other. It's plenty gory, if that's what you're into, but offers little in the way of narrative or invention. Art the Clown is a monster that brutally murders unsuspecting people on Halloween - that's the entire story right there. Nice make-up effects and brutal kills - if that's all you need, then here's something that serves it up in a very straightforward manner. I do like the way Art has been designed though - he's a cool creation. He just needed to be in a better movie.

Udo Kier? : No

Jump Scare Meter : 2/10
Discomfort : 10/10
Art : 2/10
Weird : 4/10
Fun : 4/10
Interesting : 2/10
Enjoyable : 5/10
Exciting : 4/10

Overall : 5/10
God I hated this.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Aw.
I used to love Wolfen.
I haven't seen it in about 20 years and was looking forward to it, now I wonder if it will just not hold up.

Yes.

The answer to that question is yes.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Saw The Warriors for the first time last night, it's a damn entertaining film and certainly not hard to see how it got it's cult status over the years. I like that the main characters aren't good people per se but they are also relatable enough that you can sympathize with them in their plight, and flight, to make it to their home turf. The violence isn't graphic but it still has a nice visceral chaotic quality to it. while the big and iconic moments are cool to see in context I also like a couple of the smaller moments, particularly liked Mercy's " I can't go in there it's the men's room" line. Also I'm sure it's meant as homage but holy shit John Wick 4 just wholesale took the sultry lady DJ thing and I did not realize that until now. The hardest part was just having to listen to the use of some homophobic slurs tossed around casually but that sort of thing is to be expected in older films as societal norms change over the years. Overall though I really liked The Warriors and wish I'd gotten around to seeing it sooner.

Arrebato is masterpiece.
There, I said it. Why did it take me so long to find out about this film?

I owe that to Mr Minio
Didn't Crumbsroom and Tak mention this as well over the past few years, bemoaning no one else had seen it?

Because I remember having to chime in saying I saw it about a decade ago and was kind of disappointed that it didn't really work for me. To the point where I'm curious how I'd respond if I rewatched it, but not curious enough to actually do so.

The trick is not minding
Didn't Crumbsroom and Tak mention this as well over the past few years, bemoaning no one else had seen it?

Because I remember having to chime in saying I saw it about a decade ago and was kind of disappointed that it didn't really work for me. To the point where I'm curious how I'd respond if I rewatched it, but not curious enough to actually do so.
They have, but it was Minio who introduced it to me in his personal top 300

I watched The 4th Floor, about a woman moving into a creepy apartment building full of weirdos. Juliette Lewis and William Hurt sleepwalk through their weird daddy/daughter romantic relationship and there’s a bunch of references to Rear Window. But the set piece for the climax had me laughing hysterically.

Victim of The Night
Just watched Dellamorte Dellamore

Great stuff! Loved the ending. Such a bizarre film! My second Soavi, and better than The Church
On a (fairly) recent re-watch, Stage Fright became one of my favorite "Slashers". It had really stuck with me the first time but it was the second viewing that really did it for me.

They should have released an EP of the terrible rap group from Leprechaun: In Da Hood when the movie came out. Listening to bad music can be fun sometimes.

Just watched Dellamorte Dellamore

Great stuff! Loved the ending. Such a bizarre film! My second Soavi, and better than The Church
You should check out Stage Fright sometime. It definitely has some style, that's for sure.

Glad to hear it’s good. It ended up on my radar because it’s directed by Robin Williams’ daughter Zelda Williams. Looking forward to it.
Today, I learned...