Ron Paul 2012 Support.

Tools    

I know, I read the whole thing. But what part of this is supposed to contradict what I'm saying? To be worried about the state of the defense industry is to be worried about our national security.

Heck, when you say things like "the defense industry and its collusion with government," you're almost agreeing with me! This is exactly what I'm saying he's saying. He is definitely concerned about the revolving door and the favor-trading that goes on between the two. But he's worried about it as a military man who sees politics trumping sound military policy. He's not worried about the military, he's worried about what government can do to it. This is why he speaks so disparagingly about how "Federal employment" may come to dominate the nation's scholars. This is why this quote...

"Partly because of the huge costs involved, a government contract becomes virtually a substitute for intellectual curiosity."

...is so salient. You're absolutely right that he worries about the relationship between defense and government. But he's worried about what government will do to defense, and not the other way around. This is why he makes several references to the way the political process snuffs out innovation, and no reference to wars for profit or, as far as I can see, any explicit references to the military becoming far too large. To the contrary, he trumpets the size and strength of the military and says it must always be "mighty."

At one point you even specifically quote the line "permanent armaments industry of vast proportions" in order to make your point, but the context of that line is that he says we've been "compelled" to do so. He's not saying it in a negative fashion, so it can't be cited for the conclusion you make in the rest of the sentence.
Clearly, Eisenhower was a man who comprehended complexity, paradox, and brutal irony. He understood that the Cold War and America's leadership position after the Second World War had created a different context that "compelled" a newly expansive weapons industry and defense establishment. ("Compelled" in this case seemed to possess a neutral, matter-of-fact connotation.) But he also feared (and sounded the alarm about) the darker consequences of this growth and collusion between the war-oriented private and public sectors. Their nexus—the "military-industrial complex"—could, in Eisenhower’s eyes, corrupt or negate American democracy, the academy, government ("public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite"), and international stability or trust. He is worried that two bastions with mirroring ambitions, the publicly-funded defense apparatus and the private munitions-makers, are forming an incestuous relationship with its own imperatives that are not in the interests of a free society at home or peace abroad. His speech is concerned with values beyond military defense, for Eisenhower interprets national defense as virtually a given in light of such growth. His fear is that a sprawling defense establishment, now backed by and braided with a profit-making industry, could become hegemonic and counterproductive.

Eisenhower concludes his address by warning that the conference table of peace, "though scarred by many past frustrations, cannot be abandoned for the certain agony of the battlefield." Transparently, he is worried that the "military-industrial complex," if left unchecked, could thwart diplomacy and promote war instead. And as I showed with the broader quotation in my previous post, Eisenhower is referring not to the defense establishment's "intellectual curiosity," but to that of America's universities and their scholars. He fears that instead of conducting independent research and formulating independent ideas that are consonant with and beneficial to a free society, scholars and scientists will become tools of the private-public defense nexus. Eisenhower is taking the side of neither private industry nor public institutions (i.e. "the government," which includes the defense establishment) in this area. Rather, he is deploring the potential repercussions of their intertwining, the "revolving door" that you correctly noted. He laments that this "revolving door" fosters a behemoth that harms academic scholarship, society's non-defense prerogatives, public policy, and international diplomacy.

Eisenhower constituted a military man, to be sure, but the defense establishment that he is describing proved vaster than just the military proper. The Department of Defense (the Pentagon) had not existed until after World War II and even during that conflict, he fretted over what he later labeled (in the 1961 speech) "a scientific-technological elite." Although his voice proved rather irrelevant since he was involved in the European theater as opposed to the Pacific, Eisenhower in 1945 opposed the prospective droppings of the atomic bombs on Japan, sharing his "grave misgivings" with Secretary of War Henry Stimson because he felt that such detonations would be "completely unnecessary." [See Dwight D. Eisenhower, Mandate for Change, 1953-1956: The White House Years (Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1963), 312-13.] In a way, those sentiments foreshadowed his critique of the "military-industrial complex" a decade-and-a-half later.

I've made a decision:

If Ron Paul is the Republican candidate next year, I will vote for him.

So, y'all better fight for him.

He had better get the nomination. If it's Rick Perry, then he might actually win the whole damn thing, in which case i'm moving to Canada.

Semper Fooey
Unless Rick Perry stops being Rick Perry it is clear he is a sure loser if he gets the nomination. While it is still possible he gets the nomination, the fact so many conservative pundits are trying to draft the New Jersey Governor because they are disenchanted with Perry shows how much his star has fallen. It is looking more like the Republicans are going to nominate another candidate they are unenthusiastic about. Last time it was McCain, this time Romney.

I am going to say it again, Perry is not a Bush sound alike. I heard Perry say "y'all!" How white trash can you get? Bush just has a Texas accent, he doesn't talk like he came out of the gutter. No Southerner that ever ran for President is as low class as Rick Perry. May not matter in the South, but us Northerners are not going to put in the White House Jeb Clampett.

Unless Rick Perry stops being Rick Perry it is clear he is a sure loser if he gets the nomination.
No, it isn't clear. This is a reasonable guess, not a fact. It's not even a very, very strong probability. It is a guess. People way smarter and more informed than either of us think he's a plausible candidate.

This contradiction is not an invitation to repeat all the same things you've said about him a dozen times before, by the way, since a) I've heard them and b) none of them really contradict what I'm trying to convey to you here.

I am going to say it again Perry is not a Bush sound alike. I heard Perry say "y'all!" How white trash can you get? Bush just has a Texas accent, he doesn't talk like he came out of the gutter. No Southerner that ever ran for President is as low class as Rick Perry. May not matter in the South, but us Northerners are not going to put in the White House Jeb Clampett.
I saw you post this elsewhere, and I'm not sure I see the point. Voters uninformed and casual enough about their choice to let the accent affect them at all are going to be uninformed and casual enough not to recognize gradations between Texas accents.

And calling Perry "low class" and comparing him to a hillbilly because of the way he talks is downright bigoted. You really lose whatever political perspective you might otherwise have whenever you try to talk about this guy. I dunno if he took your mom out for a nice steak dinner and then never called her again, or if he poured sugar in your gas tank, but the scorn you heap on him is dramatically out of proportion and feels like a personal vendetta more than dispassionate analysis.

Unless Rick Perry stops being Rick Perry it is clear he is a sure loser if he gets the nomination. While it is still possible he gets the nomination, the fact so many conservative pundits are trying to draft the New Jersey Governor because they are disenchanted with Perry shows how much his star has fallen. It is looking more like the Republicans are going to nominate another candidate they are unenthusiastic about. Last time it was McCain, this time Romney.

I am going to say it again, Perry is not a Bush sound alike. I heard Perry say "y'all!" How white trash can you get? Bush just has a Texas accent, he doesn't talk like he came out of the gutter. No Southerner that ever ran for President is as low class as Rick Perry. May not matter in the South, but us Northerners are not going to put in the White House Jeb Clampett.
You're right, Perry would make an even worse president than Bush.

I'm sure that last post serves some kind of purpose, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is.

Should I just be, like..."no"? 'Cause I can do that. We can just trade statements, if that's what you wanna do.

I had no idea this thread existed. I just donated to Ron's campaign, this is the first time I've ever donated to any campaign. If he doesn't get the nod, his message reaching more people is still worth it to me.

Yeah, back on topic: I'm glad he's doing what he does. Won't vote for him, but bringing more attention to the Federal Reserve (and letting various debate moderators know that such a thing as libertarianism exists) is valuable.

The things he says, even if people find them extreme, force people to confront what liberty actually means and think about long-term implications, rather than just blindly insist that we make it the government's business to right all wrongs and prioritize now over later. There's a degree to which he's taking one for the team by speaking so bluntly about these things.

Let's say by some miracle he is actually nominated and then elected president.

Do you really think he will be able to carry out even, say, 10% all his desires considering how much they deviate from the current situation?

And considering the continuing trend of divided government, who's to say liberals won't have congressional power? The best case scenario is that he fights liberals while still looking strong and passionate instead of like Obama looking weak. Nevertheless, I doubt that in the end he will get even a small amount of what he claims to want to do.

Government does not actually work that way and it never has. That's just a myth. The so-call checks and balances pull towards a single, well-defined situation. The whole machine has to move forward incrementally.

No election is a revolution. Let alone a r[love]ution.

Semper Fooey
As far as I am concerned liberty means civil liberties. Ron Paul is opposed to the Civil Rights Act

Aye. But his election would shift the debate substantially.

It's also a weird premise because it's hard to imagine an electorate that shifts enough to elect him, yet not enough to elect more libertarian candidates in general.

It's also a weird premise because it's hard to imagine an electorate that shifts enough to elect him, yet not enough to elect more libertarian candidates in general.
Yeah, exactly.

But elections are also contingent in that random stuff might throw people off at the last minute, etc. Maybe people aren't REALLY ready for Paul but something makes them hate Obama at the last minute...

Stuff like that is certainly possible.

All I wanted to say is that the situation is actually very, very stable despite being composed of a huge amount of moving parts.

I will have y'all know I have an above average IQ and by gosh I reckon my white trashyness never got in my way when I wanted to see what the sam-hell was going on on Sam's Hill other then Miss Judy Joe Ray Bobby Sue Becky's cow et fo dinner bitch!

You ready? You look ready.
I really need to respond to some stuff in here, but I don't have the time right now. I will definitely be sure to do so soon, though.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Semper Fooey
I will have y'all know I have an above average IQ and by gosh I reckon my white trashiness never got in my way when I wanted to see what the sam-hell was going on on Sam's Hill other then Miss Judy Joe Ray Bobby Sue Becky's cow etf dinner bitch!
I don't know what Rick Perry's IQ is, but his college GPA depending how you add it up was either D plus or C minus with a D in Principles of Economics. When you run for President of the United States, I would advise you not to use 'Y'all" when you campaign up North. American like people running for President who came from humble backgrounds. They don't like ones who haven't lost their humble background accent.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d95_1317522136

Is it wrong to say the media doesn't exist anymore? Is it also wrong to say I wouldn't care if Bill died?
The mainstream media is a dead outlet. I think they are beginning to realize that. In the information age, and with the advent of the internet, they no longer have a monopoly on what people should think or do. Bill is apart of their dying dinosaur, and one could only hope in this age of information that Ron Paul gets his chance... because people are listening... just not to them anymore.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

A system of cells interlinked
Definitely count me IN.

Ron Paul 2012

As far as I am concerned liberty means civil liberties. Ron Paul is opposed to the Civil Rights Act
Explain this please. He's opposed to gay marriage, which I too think is a shame, but he believes states should have a right to choose whether or not gay marriage should be allowed, same with abortion. He's not making this a federal case where no one in the land is allowed to have either. It's boiled down to a states right to choose. Or is that he opposed the Civil Right Act when it was put up before Congress? If that's the case, the ideas behind it he wasn't against, however he felt that market forces would work themselves out and force people to give up their old ways. Businesses couldn't afford to support rampant racism at the cost of their own dollar. They would loose half of they're market if they did so. That's why he felt the bill was unnecessary. It had nothing to do with being against civil rights and more to do with being against the market.