Star Trek series, which is your favorite?

Tools    

Which series of Star Trek is your favorite?
28.57%
10 votes
The Original Series
45.71%
16 votes
The Next Generation
8.57%
3 votes
Deep Space Nine
5.71%
2 votes
Voyager
0%
0 votes
Enterprise
11.43%
4 votes
Star Trek has never interested me.
35 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Acting!?!? Who give a **** about acting? It's a soap opera in space.

And, as for T-Pol... Whatever floats your boat, I guess. The Troi pics were merely to illustrate why she brought to the show. If you didn't like it, then that's why you don't like her.

I always liked when her mother turned up.

A system of cells interlinked
I...care about acting - good shows have decent acting and stuff, while bad shows have bad acting and stuff. Why is this even a question? ALL serialized shows are soap operas... all of them.

Why WOULDN'T it matter? Just what exactly do you look for in your entertainment?

I look to be entertained. However, both good and bad can be entertaining. Despite this, I can't think of anything I've ever seen that I only liked because of the acting. Good or bad.

I love Gosford Park. For me, that's a acting masterclass from some of the best actors around. However, I don't like it because I think it's an acting masterclass.

Likewise, I love Blood Feast, which has some of the worst acting I've ever seen. But, again, I don't like it because the acting's bad.

I love both of them because they entertain me and I love watching them.

Ok, you've got that right. Here's some entertainment: Check out the Voyager Season 2 episode Threshold. This has to be THE WORST episode of anything, ever. Definitely the worst Trek episode I have ever seen. It's so absolutely, ridiculously stupid, I was stunned someone even thought of it. I can't imagine the poor actors as they had to work through this shoot...

I'm a worse man for having seen it. My quality of life actually went perceptibly lower as I watched it.

The most loathsome of all goblins
I like Voyager a lot, and it's my favorite to watch lately. Like DS9, it's at its best when the content is more character driven and human and less "alien of the week".
I laughed. Not only is Voyager most definitely an "alien-of-the-week" series, but it's basically a poor man's version of TNG. To compare it to a brilliant story arc and character oriented show like DS9 is beyond idiotic.

Voyager was awful. Janeway's voice alone practically killed the franchise.

Enterprise was awful too.
Deep Space Nine was bearable but got too much into politics and turf to be entertaining.

Original Series and TNG are the better ones. The Original films outrank TNG films... but TNG series is better.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Deep Space Nine was bearable but got too much into politics and turf to be entertaining.
You should give it a re-watch, it's far better than "bearable." Unlike the other Trek shows, it actually explores its characters and gives them depth, there are consequences to actions instead of of a magic reset button, and it has some of the most well-written pieces of science fiction out there, especially the eps written by Rene Echevarria. Other writers like Ronald D. Moore, Hans Beimler, Ira Steven Behr and Robert Hewitt Wolfe also contribute a great deal, and together they make up a writing staff that is leagues ahead of either TOS or TNG.

Enterprise had good visual effects,but that was the only good thing about it.
The third season,the Xindi saga was the worst season in all of Star Trek. After that,I didn't watch the fourth season.

I liked Voyager.It is a very underrated show.Splendid cast,with two particularly memorable characters,the doctor and seven of nine.Yes,there are some mediocre episodes but the good ones more than compensate.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It was a tough choice for me between TOS and TNG because I love them both, and I voted for TOS as the best Star Trek show, but I think Picard is the best captain. I love the banter between Spock and McCoy, and while some of the episodes were pretty bad, I think the ones that were good, were very good.

I also liked Voyager, but it wasn't my favorite. I thought that Janeway was a good captain, but not the best, and I really liked Chakotay, but Tom Paris and the Doctor were my favorite characters.

I was never a fan of DS9. I just couldn't get into a Star Trek show where the best character on the show was a Ferengi. (Quark)

I've been a big fan of Scott Baukla since I first saw him in Quantum Leap, and I was really looking forward to seeing him as a Star Trek captain, but unfortunately it just didn't work. I don't consider him to be "the man who killed Star Trek". I think the writers did that. I tried watching Enterprise when it originally aired, but I just couldn't get into it. It just seemed like every week we were getting beaten up by a different enemy.

I decided to give it another chance after it was cancelled, and it seems to get better as the show goes on, but I guess it was just too little, and too late to save the show. However, I really liked Tripp.

I think Q was my favorite recurring character. I wish they would have had more stories with him.

Several more years have passed, and after I tried and failed to get into Star Trek: Diversity Discovery, I decided to re-watch a couple of the series, namely Voyager and Deep Space Nine. In the interest of full disclosure, I am still working my way through DS:9 as I write this, and I am just starting season 5.

Voyager, on the whole, still holds up fairly well for what it is. Alas, it suffers from the same problems I have with TNG. It is mostly episodic, and it leans heavily on the reset button, in that events from previous episodes have little to no lasting effect. The series contains some great episodes, fairly good character arcs, but as I noted earlier in this thread, perhaps some of the worst episodes of any Trek series. It's a good cast, with Janeway and Seven getting the best overall arcs, while Harry Kim easily comes in dead last in that regard. Poor Harry. Voyager's later seasons deliver some of the best Borg content, but the show's over-reliance on the Borg can also be listed as a shortcoming. Voyager was never able to elevate its own antagonists (namely the Kazon and the scavenger race, whose name escapes me at the moment) to a level that did them justice. Unlike...

Deep Space Nine. DS:9, while having perhaps the most uneven season 1 of all the programs, steadily improves over time, culminating in the fantastic (from what I recall, as I am not yet there on this re-watch yet) Dominion War, arguably Star Trek's finest serialized run of episodes ever. I recall back when this series first aired, my Star Trek watching friends and I found the serialized format annoying, as we were all young and super busy wasting our time in other ways, so we couldn't dedicate ourselves to catching every episode. The show also flew in the face of what made Star Trek, well, Star Trek at the time. There was no ship (although a ship, the Defiant, eventually shows up), no actual Trek to speak of, and at first, the cast came across as abrasive and in the case of one character, annoying and melodramatic. This combination had us dropping the show entirely pretty quickly.

Fast forward to 2019, and the format problems are actually more in line with television today. As far as serialization, the show was truly ahead of its time. Also, it's Not so Trekkieness has also proven to be a boon, as after Voyager and Enterprise, the whole crew on a ship exploring space thing has been done to death. This fact alone would be enough to keep it interesting today, as its whole frontier town on the edge of hostile territory format would keep it feeling fresh, this isn't where DS:9 stopped with its unique attributes.

Ben Sisko is perhaps the least archetypal, and therefore most human of the captains. His emotional aspects are primarily driven by a tragedy (the loss of his wife at the hands of Picard, no less), and of the two primary roles he ends up taking on, that of the Federation Commander of DS:9, as well as the B'joran Emissary, he doesn't actually want either role. In fact, due to the machinations of his wife's demise, he views the Federation with a modicum of disdain. Sisko is a man of duty, however, so he does his job when asked. Alas, he is a far cry from Picard's dedication to flag and station, or Janeway's almost over-the-top, I can solve any problem instantly Uber Captain. For this reason, Sisko comes out of the gate with plenty of depth, something that only deepens as the show moves along.

The rest of the characters range from good to great. From Odo, the sort of town constable, to the nationalist Kire Nyres, the gruff, slightly xenophobic Miles O'Brien, wise-cracking and tough Jadzia Dax, and Mr. starts weak but is eventually great Dr. Bashir. Let's not forget Armin Shimmerman's excellent turn as Quark, and last but certainly not least, Cardassian tailor Garek, who is more than he seems...or is he? TNG alum Worf eventually joins the cast in season 4, where he slides right in and becomes a great regular cast member.

DS:9 is also the only Star Trek show to actively involve both commerce and religion into its mythos, with a fair amount of the content involving these concepts. Time and time again, the show subtly presents multiple points of view when conflict arises in these arenas, and then let's the viewer decide what to think about it. This is pretty much the opposite of what I have seen in ST: Discovery, which hammers its viewers with current day political issues, usually presented from one point of views, and then insists there is only one correct way to approach the issue. Remember, back when they aired, the Star Trek shows were considered outspoken progressive programs. Today, they seem more center right on today's political compass.

Add to this the introduction of the Jem Hadar, and the Founders, along with a fully realized and multi-dimensional fleshing out of the Cardassians, and Deep Space Nice emerges as the most well-written and most fully realized show in the Star Trek universe. I don't know about anyone else, but DS:9 has won me over as the best of the bunch, standing the test of time, and still delivering thought provoking and interesting science fiction ideas. The sands of time have not been kind to TNG and Voyager, but these years later, for the best of Trek, make mine Deep Space Nine!

I'm in the middle of a re-re-watch of Deep Space Nine season 4. I love that show. I love all of the ST series up to and including Enterprise, though the last season of Enterprise was horrid.

@Sedai

I enjoyed your DSN post and agree with what you wrote. DSN has always been my fav ST series and that's because the overall writing in DSN is the best of any of the ST series. And I believe that had to do with the passing of Gene Rodenberry which then released the writer's constraints, he had imposed on them. During TNG, Rodenberry had it written in stone that humans in the future were perfect and Star Fleet was perfect too...So there was never any real conflict between the crew. That resulted in the writers needing to go outside of the crew to find their drama, hence the alien of the week or disease of the week.

With Roddenbery's absences and the casting of non Star Fleet main characters DSN was able to achieve much more internal conflict than TNG. I recently heard just how many secondary characters DSN had and it was a lot! And that allowed the show more depth of character and back story development too.

I love that the writers weren't afraid to paint the Federation as naive at times. We see that in the two parter Home Front/Paradise Lost. We learn the Federation president has high morals but isn't equipped to handle the upcoming Dominion threat. At the same time we see not all Star Fleet officers are as moral as we've been lead to believe...and Quark is always knocking the Federation, Quark's a fun character! DSN is a much more diversified and better written show than TNG, that's why it's my favorite.

@Citizen Rules

I concur! I read an interview with Ron D. Moore, during which he went into quite a bit of detail about how the writing team approached Deep Space Nine, and that they were constantly pushing the boundaries as far as what had been done before on Star Trek, creating a rich mythos and universe in which to unfold the stories. He was initially excited for Voyager, as well, but that got handed to a different crew, and when Moore did eventually get brought over, he quickly realized that the Voyager creators were on a totally different page, and Moore quickly grew frustrated with the (lack of) creative direction and risk taking, and he now speaks very poorly of the whole Voyager production.

It's a shame it went down that way, but then again, it's not, because Moore's frustration drove him to create the Battlestar Galactica reboot, which is excellent. Many of Moore's ideas he had for Voyager, such as the dwindling resources, failing technology, and a crew that was breaking down both mentally and physically over time all appeared in BG.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
TNG is a keystone for me. I learned so much philosophy from Picard's character in seeing him always try to empathize with those around him. He never tried to just bulldoze through an issue. Instead he studied it, deconstructed it and tried to approach a problem from several directions until learning not just how to solve it but why the problem existed to begin with and resolving a greater issue upstream for it.

Sometimes he comes off too liberal even for me, but he never jumped blind and hot headed.