Playin' it Bogart

Tools    

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Humphrey Bogart (1899 - 1957)

OK, well I was in the mood to watch a Bogart film. I went looking on MoFo, and didn't see a thread. Not sure what gives with that.

Everyone who likes film and movies, and knows anything about classic films or classic Hollywood knows about Humphrey Bogart. I would say maybe only John Wayne, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, and Charlie Chaplin would rival his iconic stature in filmdom. That is to say many people who don't even like movies or care about anything from before they were born certainly know who Humphrey Bogart is. But what do you think about his films? What have you seen? Anything? Most everyone probably saw Casablanca first. Actually the first film I saw of his was The Maltese Falcon, another classic.

What I like about Bogart is his no-frills acting style. Just very natural and excellent line delivery, along the lines of a John Wayne. He didn't look like he was acting, though it was clear he was delivering lines. It is interesting that he really didn't have many great or big roles until he was well into his 30's, as he started as a theater actor before turning to film, when he played character bits and gangsters until High Sierra, The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca made him a bonnafied star to build a film around.

I haven't read a lot about the man. Someone more educated than me can go into his background and stories about him. From what I recall he fought in World War I or at least served. I don't know how much combat he saw. I have read that his signature snarl/lisp was caused from a wound suffered to his face in war? Again... someone more educated can verify... Holden? mark f? He married actress Lauren Bacall after they co-stared in the Howard Hawks film The Big Sleep. He died of throat/esophagus cancer in 1957. Not surprising considering he drank and smoked as much as he did off screen. According to Bacall he never complained at all even though it must have been very painful.

Of all the classic actors and actress, most people start out by watching the films of Bogart. I know I did. I have probably seen most all of his films, at least his staring films because back in my junior and senior year of high school, 2000-2001, I went through almost his entire filmography on old copies of VHS I checked out at the Marshalltown public library.

If you've seen all his movies a hundred times or if you haven't seen any and need a place to start, he's easily appreciated. I enjoy the dark morbid characters he played. They seem a complete opposite of the Jimmy Stewart type. Compared to Stewart's roles Bogart's were downright misanthropic. His sullen eyes show a world-weariness to match his raspy and tired voice. Amazing that he became a star because, while I wouldn't say he is ugly, he certainly is not handsome in the traditional sense of the male leads that were kicking around during the Golden Age of Hollywood. He's short... at least for a male lead... maybe standing at 5'8", when most stars were, and are, expected to be six feet tall. Stories are well known about how they covered up the fact that he was shorter than his leading lady, Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca, which was rare then to have a man shorter than the female star. Even Bacall inched past him. He also wasn't exactly a muscle-bound beefcake either, but for some reason it was believable when he was throwing a punch, pushing around a gangster's flunkie, or slapping around a dame to get her to talk. Then again, actors often in his acting/supporting cast were not huge men by any means; Petter Lorre, James Cagney, Elisha Cook Jr., Sydney Greenstreet, Edward G. Robinson and so on... all of whom stood 5'8" or less.

But Bogart, and the filmmakers made it work. When I think of Bogart I generally think of a long rain coat, straight pants underneath - drenched nonetheless, and rain dripping off of his fedora with a cigarette lit in his mouth and a 1911 .45 in the other hand. I think of a film that I know is going to have lots of quick, snappy, and witty dialogue with fast and loose women who sell themselves to the highest bidder, whether that man is the protagonist or antagonist of the film. Yes, the "dark film" is a bit glamorized in it's shady noir, or rather the correct word to use might be romanticized.

For those of you who have not seen a Bogart film, I recommend that you do so right away. Get to your local video-store, queue up Netflix, download of the internet, or whatever you do and watch something. If you have seen some of his films... go deeper into his filmography and find a hidden gem.

I know I've seen almost all his films, but it's been awhile so I'm going to start tonight by watching Dead Reckoning again. It's hard to rank his films, because most are so good... again his screen persona transcends a bad film and he makes work because he's so "money" and enjoyable to watch prowling through the dark alleyways, and hidden dens of vice in these films... shadowy sillouette cast out of the blackness by lightning from a late night thunderstorm... but I digress.

My favorite film of his and performance is In a Lonely Place, directed by Nicolas Ray. Right behind it is The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Both are probably two of his darkest roles in terms of character. It's not necessarily that he plays two of his most evil characters in the films, but he plays the most dynamic and realistic characters who have a reason to be "evil" or at least succumb to "evil."

Ranking them (staring roles)...

1. In a Lonely Place - A+
2. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - A+
3. The Maltese Falcon - A+
4. The Caine Mutiny - A
5. The Big Sleep - A
6. Casablanca - A-
7. To Have and Have Not - A-
8. Sabrina - A-
9. They Drive by Night - A-
10. Key Largo - B+
11. The Barefoot Contessa - B
12. The African Queen - B
13. Dark Passage - B
14. High Sierra - B
15. The Desperate Hours - B-

I've seen other films of his, but it's been so long for me to remember them or give them any kind of accurate rating. I have seen Dead Reckoning before, but I don't really remember it so I'm going to give it a watch after posting this hear.

Anywho... talk it up, or you'll be pickin' lead out of your liver.

Also if you remember, how were you introduced to the works of Bogart or hear about him in pop-culture before you knew who he was? From what I recall I first found out about him unknowingly through the old Warner Brothers cartoons which would often feature a parody of him around Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and the likes. Also I know they used to parody Bogart and base characters off of him and his stock actors in the cartoon "Ducktales."

And yes... I stole the title of the thread from an episode in the Max Payne video game for those of you who caught it... all two of you.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
So far with what I've seen, I think Bogie is a pretty good actor. My favorite performance of his has to be Casablanca. I think his performance in The African Queen was overrated though, probably just the oscars giving him his due. Treasure of the Sierra Madre was pretty good, though I thought Walter Huston stole the show. Finally, I wasn't that big on The Maltese Falcon for some strange reason.

1. In a Lonely Place - A+
2. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - A+
3. The Maltese Falcon - A+
4. The Caine Mutiny - A
5. The Big Sleep - A
6. Casablanca - A-
7. To Have and Have Not - A-
8. Sabrina - A-
9. They Drive by Night - A-
10. Key Largo - B+
11. The Barefoot Contessa - B
12. The African Queen - B
13. Dark Passage - B
14. High Sierra - B
15. The Desperate Hours - B-
Identifying properly with this list is, well, outta my league. Some of these I haven't seen and will not see, some of these I need to see immediately, and some of these I haven't seen in years.

Great post, Viddy!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
"Some of these I ... will not see"? What's up with that? That is actually a very small list and viddy has seen many more.

~Loves a good classic movie~
Try to catch "The Two Mrs. Carrolls" with Barbara Stanwyke. Bogart plays
it edgy in this one. Balancing between sanity and insanity. I'd give it an A.

Here is my rankings for the Bogart films I've seen:

1. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
2. Casablanca
3. The Big Sleep
4. The Maltese Falcon
5. The African Queen
6. We're No Angels

Bogart is great, and I really want to see Nicholas Ray's In a Lonely Place and eventually the others of course.

Semper Fooey
Bogie owed his career to George Raft because Raft turned down High Sierra and The Maltese Falcon. Sierra was rejected because he didn't want to do any more movies where he died at the end and Falcon was rejected because he said in a memo he came to Warner Brothers to do important pictures and this wasn't one. Raft wanted to do Casablanca, and even tried to get the role by lobbying Jack Warner, but Hal Wallis who personally produced Casablanca had soured on Raft and wrote a memo to Warner saying Raft hadn't made a movie at the strudio since he was in knee pants and Casablanca was being written for Bogart. That was the beginning of the end for Raft and superstar status for Bogart.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Bogie owed his career to George Raft because Raft turned down High Sierra and The Maltese Falcon. Sierra was rejected because he didn't want to do any more movies where he died at the end and Falcon was rejected because he said in a memo he came to Warner Brothers to do important pictures and this wasn't one. Raft wanted to do Casablanca, and even tried to get the role by lobbying Jack Warner, but Hal Wallis who personally produced Casablanca had soured on Raft and wrote a memo to Warner saying Raft hadn't made a movie at the strudio since he was in knee pants and Casablanca was being written for Bogart. That was the beginning of the end for Raft and superstar status for Bogart.
I've not seen nearly as many Raft films as I have Bogart's, but Bogart was more charismatic and interesting to watch I'd say. Even in the films they co-stared in, especially They Drive By Night, it's clear Bogart outshines him and is a more distinguished personality. Raft was more handsome and refined, but I'd rather watch Bogie than Raft. Of course I don't know much about the politics you mention behind the scenes. Why didn't Raft think Maltese Falcon was an important picture?

Semper Fooey
I think because it was being directed by a first-timer (!?!) Hey, but at least George Raft was a better dancer.
That's what I heard, too, and he was probably aware it was being remade for the third time and none of the previous versions was a big deal at the box office.

Raft had a reputation for not being very bright. Billy Wilder claimed he was functionally illiterate.

In what'll be a surprise to absolutely no one here, I've never really seen Bogie as an 'actor'. He's a movie star. He's a crumpled John Wayne. That's not a bad thing, it's just the way I see it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It doesn't surprise me, no. That means that you don't think that Clark Gable, James Stewart, Henry Fonda, Gary Cooper, Tyrone Power and Errol Flynn, to name just a few, were not "actors" either. In my mind, they're all actors but perhaps more often they're just playing their old "movie-star" self. Nevertheless, Bogie is certainly my fave actor, and he can act the socks off most. It's funny though. I love Alec Guinness and he even confesses to being a character actor, but he always seems like Alec Guinness to me, no matter how much makeup he puts on, what accent he affects or how crazy (The Horse's Mouth) or cast-against-type (Tunes of Glory) he is.

I guess my bottom-line point is that actors just are NOT movie stars anymore. Earlier in his career, I probably would have called Nicholson a movie star, but in actuality, it's his good friend and now longtime-married (18 years!!) buddy Warren Beatty who would qualify as a former movie star. I hate it when movie stars grow old and become caricatures of themselves, but I love watching Bogie any and every time. Maybe it's because he died at the height of his popularity and was still making legit flicks and playing his "own" characters right to the end. Maybe it's just because he had a way of reacting just as much as acting.

Bogart only made six more films in two years after this film. It's one of his greatest performances. It may be considered a SPOILER to watch this, but you can still enjoy the film if you do. Bogart's eyes in this scene are incomparable. I cry every time I watch this.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
I think I'm one of few but in all honesty, I think Humphrey Bogart is a very over-rated actor. I haven't seen many of his films, because while I think he is a capable actor, I don't think he's spectacular and I don't think he has a lot of range. What I have seen him in, I don't think he gave or added much personality to his characters.

I think I'm one of few but in all honesty, I think Humphrey Bogart is a very over-rated actor. I haven't seen many of his films, because while I think he is a capable actor, I don't think he's spectacular and I don't think he has a lot of range. What I have seen him in, I don't think he gave or added much personality to his characters.
If you're going to voice such an opinion, at least tell us what were those performances that you have seen that would make one type such nonsense. I mean, he's no Kevin Costner.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
I saw The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep, which understandably are similar to the range statement. The Caine Mutiny, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Desperate Hours, and Angels with Dirty Faces are all the Bogart I've seen.

It doesn't surprise me, no. That means that you don't think that Clark Gable, James Stewart, Henry Fonda, Gary Cooper, Tyrone Power and Errol Flynn, to name just a few, were not "actors" either.
You are correct, sir.

In my mind, they're all actors but perhaps more often they're just playing their old "movie-star" self.
Absolutely. They're movie stars.

I guess my bottom-line point is that actors just are NOT movie stars anymore.
Again, I agree. There's very few movie stars around now and even those are, usually, desperate to be seen as 'actors'. Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Julia Roberts (even though she's not been in a movie star film for about 10 years now), Sandra Bullock, Jim Carrey, Sean Connery (ok, he's retired, but he's still a movie star) are, arguably, among the only movie stars left.