Guns in film

Tools    

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I just recently stumbled upon www.imfdb.org which is a great site if you're ever curious about what guns are used in films. Really cool actually.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
WOW I haven't seen this before Im going to be spending sometime on that site, its very interesting

I ran across that site a while back and have found a few cool pics on there to use in the avatar theme game...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I just recently stumbled upon www.imfdb.org which is a great site if you're ever curious about what guns are used in films. Really cool actually.
After scanning that endless list of various firearms, maybe we really need some arms restrictions after all.

The one piece of information I'd like to know isn't in that mishmash of gun info, namely how do they get automatic or even semi-automatic guns to look in the movies as though they are really firing automaticly or semi-? I know that when we used blanks in similated battles in Army basic training, the blank had enough power to blow back the bolt leaving the breach open but not enough power to activate an automatic reload so that one could immediately fire again. Even with a clip loaded with blanks, each time one was fired through an M-1, I then had to release the bolt manually so it would pick up and put another blank in the chamber. Slowed the process down to a bolt-action .22, whereas with a clip of live ammo, I could empty a clip just as fast as I could pull that trigger.

So if the movies are not using blanks of the type used by the Army, what are they using to get that sustained muzzle flash from a machinegun being fired? I suppose they could really have someone firing a real machinegun--a light or heavy one on a tripod--to get a shot of the ammo belt feeding in full and coming out empty in a steady stream. But what about hand-held weapons? What makes those work?

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I'm sure the gun wranglers tweak the heck out of those things to get the pressure from the blanks to work the blowback mechanisms. It's nice when you watch a movie and don't see dumb gun mistakes, such as putting a silencer on a revolver (won't work), or aiming a 1911 Colt model with the hammer down, or hearing that fictional phfffft sound with a suppressor.

Hi, everybody!

it`s so funny, but in great-guns-movies bullets never run out
Well the bullets run out in the guns, but it's odd that they can carry hundreds of pounds with all their limitless supply of magazines.

I'm sure the gun wranglers tweak the heck out of those things to get the pressure from the blanks to work the blowback mechanisms.
No doubt you're right, but I was hoping someone would know for certain.

The problem of powering up blanks to super-blank status strong enough to work the blowback is that even normal blanks can cause a hell of a wound if fired too close to a person--I once saw the injury caused by a blank when fired from a gun held against a sergeant's back. Not pretty! So if you beef up a blank, then it's gonna blow out the cardboard wadding holding the powder in, turning it into a harmful projectile that will travel even further as a result of the extra powder, which would seem to enhance the danger that the shooter will shoot someone's eye out or inflict other damage to soft, meaty parts.

Got a laugh out of the blooper you mentioned of putting a silencer on a revolver as opposed to an automatic pistol! Not being into guns myself, I never gave it a thought before, but of course it wouldn't work!!

The ones that always get me in the movies are when they have 6-shooters and repeating rifles blazing away years before those things were even made. And Gatling guns have turned up in more Western movie battles than they ever did in real life.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
Fascinating website. I'd never seen it before, so I am so happy some pointed it out. I'll probably visit it frequently.

I like the way they hold the gun sideways in films, nice way to loose a few fingers

How did you find that site... i checked it out now...OMG>...its damn good , astonishing details....

I like the way they hold the gun sideways in films, nice way to loose a few fingers
explain why is that?

I just recently got a Beretta 92fs inox and shot it sideways for the hell of it. Basically it is to reduce the recoil for rapid fire.