2009 Summer Box Office Predictions

Tools    

IMay 29 - Up - Non-Block Buster movie

July 31 - Funny People - Disapointing
Up is definitely a Block Buster movie, every Pixar movie is a Block Buster. I have no doubt that it'll make it big either, especially after all the success Wall-E. Judd Apatow seems to be getting bigger and bigger with each movie, and after Knocked Up, I'm pretty sure Funny People will end up being a hit. As long as Universal starts to advertise it better, because I've barely even seen the trailer in front of anything, except for like 2 movies.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Hmm, I might be swayed into moving Trek up from #9 on my list. It will do well, no question, but how well.....

And I highly doubt Tarantino's flick will gross over 100 million. Pulp fiction is his only film to do that, his only other film that came close is Kill Bill Vol 1 with 70 million.

Suspect's Reviews

The King of Movies
Up is definitely a Block Buster movie, every Pixar movie is a Block Buster. I have no doubt that it'll make it big either, especially after all the success Wall-E. Judd Apatow seems to be getting bigger and bigger with each movie, and after Knocked Up, I'm pretty sure Funny People will end up being a hit. As long as Universal starts to advertise it better, because I've barely even seen the trailer in front of anything, except for like 2 movies.
I haven't heard anything about the movie Up. It must be because they haven't been putting much advertising into it in Australia.

As for Funny People, it will break even but i think they are expecting way too much from it.

there alrady makin the up sequel

Down

and shania twain will be making a cameo in up

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Moving on...
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

there alrady makin the up sequel

Down

and shania twain will be making a cameo in up

Is Sideways part of this trilogy?

Boy, this looks like a pretty slow summer for movies if'n one were to ask me. Transformers and Harry Potter will both do good business I expect, but most of the rest of those look to me like mediocre city. Unless of course some of them are actually good. That helps.

Wolverine and T4 and a few of the others will probably make it over 100 million but I sort of doubt Star Trek will, unless its good of course.

Maybe this is a good thing though. Maybe this means that the "biggies" later on will actually be pretty good this year, because let's face it a large chunk of the award winners last year were extremely mediocre.

May
May 1 - X-Men Origins: Wolverine-300-400 mill
May 7 - Star Trek-400-500 mill
May 15 - Angels & Demons-200-300 mill
May 21 - Terminator Salvation-500-600 mill
May 22 - Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian-200-300 mill
May 29 - Up-300-500 mill

May is probably the most competitive month because we have only blockbusters Starting with Wolverine and finishing with Up(which I have no Idea what it's about but if it's a pixar movie it's doomed to success).Wolverine I'm not sure if it will go good as for the workprint that leaked in the web the other problem is that even if the movie gets some momentum it will be stopped in May 7th when Star Trek comes and believe it's been years since there was a decent Star Trek movie not that I don't like Jean Luc Picard but it was getting a little old.Then there is Angels and Demons I really liked the book I was one of those Dan Brown junkies back when Davinci's code was a hit(not the movie that one was crap)so I don't have much expectations about this one even though it's more interesting than Davinci but still compared to the movies in the month I don't see how it has any chance.In May 21st we have the winner believe me Terminator is going to kill the fish in the sea not just because it's Terminator but we have Christina Bale lately this guy is like King Midas everything he touches turns to gold.What bothers me is that on the next day there is the sequel of Night at the Museum and the first part did pretty well even though it was screened in the winter(over the holidays)but we'll see.And Finaly the month ends with Pixar as I said those guys haven't made a movie that is not in the top grossed movies of all time and not to mention that their weakest one won something like 300 mill.So this one is going to save him is that e
Transformers is scheduled for the end of the month
June
June 5 - Land of the Lost-200 mill
June 19 - Year One-150-200 mill
June 24 - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen-700-800 mill

Land of the Lost it will do something in the box office alraight but it won't be much,I like Will Ferrell he is a great comedian.Year One well from the trailer it look really funny Michael Cera is killing lately with his movies and Jack Black next to him it's going to be an awesome comedy but I'm not sure if it's going to make any progress in the box office I give it 120 mill US earnings.And we reach for the movie of the Summer Transformers 2,the first part did great 700 mill this one will go even further,this time there are way more robots than the first part with Bay directing there is no doubt about the quality of the action

July
July 1 - Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs-400-500 mill; Public Enemies-200-300 mill
July 10 - Bruno-200 mill
July 15 - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince-800-900 mill
July 31 - Funny People-150-200 mill

In July 1st we have a tie between an animated sequel that his predesestors had great success and a movie with Christian Bale and Johnny Depp(now that's a combo)I am not sure what it's going to happen here but animated movies always have advantage so it may pass Public enemies and leave it in the dust but still I would like to see how it's going to turn out.Bruno I believe it's going to be better than Borat(which I enjoyed)but it will go no more than 200 mill wordwide.When I saw the latest trailer of Harry Potter cold chills run back on my spine and every harry potter movie does well than the previous one except the first one but this is going to be something around 800 mill at least,just sit and watch.Funny People I don't think I should discuss it Harry Potter is going to eat it alive.What is missfortunate about the movie is the time when it's released before him you have Harry Potter which will run for many weeks and it will be on top of the charts as always and on August 7th we have G.I. Joe which is supposed to be the August big hit so things are not looking good for Funny People
August
August 7 - G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra-500-600 mill
August 21 - Inglourious Basterds-200-300 mill
August 28 - Final Destination: Death Trip 3D-100-180 mill

It seems that Transformers sold well back in 2007 and toys are the next big thing in Hollywood so G.I. Joe is going to rule August.But I would like to see atleast a longer Trailer because those 30 seconds just don't work for me.My prediction is something between 500-600 mill.Ah Tarantino is back again and never stopped to amaze us with his Ideas.I would defenitely go to see this one-you have Brad Pitt in the lead and Tarantino in the Directors chair what more do you want,it's not going to have the success of G.I. Joe but still I'm sure it's going to do well in the Box Office.Final Destination movies were always fun to watch just to see how something so simple like a toaster can kill you Final Destination 3 was a flop to the series but what this one has is that it's in 3D and that's exactly what is going to sell and it sounds fun seeing heads and body parts flying towards you

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yeah, I was going to say whatever horrible inflation numbers the "Conservative Underground" are painting for our near futire, nothing's going to touch the actual numbers of Titanic and The Dark Knight, and of course, they can't touch the numbers of the older films adjusted to present day.

I can too King.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I can some how see GI Joe to be a massive fail for some reason.
I've been thinking the same thing. I think it'll do good, but it won't do real good.

The best movies hold back on the CGI. This new GiJoe flick will be slick and there ll be mental explosions and bullet-time and the rest of that **** but will it appeal to GiJoe fans, I doubt it. Same deal as us Transformers fans got..

Same deal as us Transformers fans got..
Transformers wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. CG was needed heavily in that in order to bring it to the big screen. They did a wonderful job at making everything look real without having that dull look to it. Because let's be honest, who went to watch the movie for a good story? Probably very few people, we went to see Optimus Prime transform, for real.

G.I. Joe, on the other hand, looks like it's going to have dull looking CG that was put together by a bunch of kids fresh out of school.

Transformers wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. CG was needed heavily in that in order to bring it to the big screen. They did a wonderful job at making everything look real without having that dull look to it. Because let's be honest, who went to watch the movie for a good story? Probably very few people, we went to see Optimus Prime transform, for real.

G.I. Joe, on the other hand, looks like it's going to have dull looking CG that was put together by a bunch of kids fresh out of school.
That's what I said.. Transformers was All CGI, no substance. Obviously you aren't one of the fans I'm talking about. No I didn't just go to watch Optimus Prime transform. I went to see a quality real-life Transformers movie, that's what I was looking forward to. All the 12 year olds I know loved it but the rest of us we just watched Megan Fox for an hour and a half.

The story for Transformers wasn't that bad, and there's tons of other movies that have crappier stories than that. Seriously though, it's meant to be a fun action movie, and that's what I got. Michael Bay's great when it comes to making great action movies, I mean Bad Boys and Bad Boy 2 was actually pretty fun to watch because Bay's great at making acton.