The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Two animated films means I'm unlikely to have seen them. Two animated foregin films make it even less likely. Not seen either, don't care to see either, but I'm sure they're fine if you like that sort of thing.

Okay, I think/hope the display issues should be sorted on desktop. Lemme know if that's better.

Mobile needs some light tweaking still.

They are fine but I still only see two. Was #99 removed for some reason?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

They are fine but I still only see two. Was #99 removed for some reason?
Aye:

OK, this is embarrassing but I think I made a mistake on the list. There are so many ties that have to be broken manually and I'm afraid I have written down the wrong film at #99. I am going to triple check the ties and placements again, sorry!

"How many of the top 100 will be animated movies?"

Oh! I thought the question was 'how many animated movies at the top of the 100 list?'

Welcome to the human race...
I'll agree to Porco Rosso being B-tier Ghibli/Miyazaki, but considering how good the A-tier is that's still very good. I'd certainly rank it fairly high in that regard even if it doesn't necessarily crack a top 25.

Paprika is definitely the better film and I get the feeling it's not going to be the only Kon film on the list, which would not be without reason. Still did not vote for it, though.

Current state of temporary stand-in for #99:

57 points, 3 lists
99. Kiki's Delivery Service

Director

Hayao Miyazaki, 1989

Starring

Minami Takayama, Rei Sakuma, Kappei Yamaguchi, Keiko Toda

57 points, 3 lists
98.The Return

Director

Andrey Zvyagintsev, 2003

Starring

Vladimir Garin, Konstantin Lavronenko, Nataliya Vdovina, Ivan Dobronravov

57 points, 4 lists
97. Nights of Cabiria

Director

Federico Fellini, 1957

Starring

Giulietta Masina, Francois Perrier, Franca Marzi, Amedeo Nazzari

jiraffejustin
Let the night air cool you off
I've seen everything except for Nights of Cabiria so far and I've at least liked them all with my favorite of the bunch being Porco Rosso. Didn't vote for any of them.

Thursday Next
I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
OK, sorry about the confusion yesterday. I had gone from the automated list which doesn't take account of ties, and there are actually 6 different films on 57 points.

Nights of Cabiria is now restored in its rightful place slightly higher at #97.

I wish I had got it right yesterday, I could have had you all wondering whether it was going to be an entirely animated countdown

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Porco losing out to Kiki's is disappointing. Kiki's is good but I love Porco Rosso.

Thursday Next
I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I've seen Porco Rosso, Paprika and Kiki's Delivery Service. I didn't really like Paprika and don't really have strong feelings about the other two. I have never seen Nights of Cabiria but I'm not sure why. I am ashamed I've still never seen The Return although I have had the dvd for a number of years.

mark f
Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I didn't vote for Kiki for the tourney, but our family loved it so much we named our Akita puppy Kiki a few years ago. It's a clear

The Return is Zvyagintsev's best, a tense, ominous tale of survival. I also rate it

Still no votes from me.

Seen neither, voted for both neither

Seen: 1/4 (Own: 1/4)

Faildictions ((バージョン 1.0):
96. Le coup de foudre de Titfield (1953)
95. Ordet (1955)

Wyldesyde19
The trick is not minding
Kiki’s Delivery Sevice is a surprise entrant. Good, not great, for me.
I haven’t watched The Return yet, but it is nominated for he Russian HOF I’m currently in, so I’ll be getting to it soon.

Surprise entrants so far, with Nights being the only one I really expected, although I figured Paprika had a shot.

3 out of 4 seen so far.

mark f
Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Faildictions ((バージョン 1.0):
96. Le coup de foudre de Titfield (1953)
You have to get Titfield in every tourney.

You have to get Titfield in every tourney.
Hey, this is the special Google international version though

The Return and N O Cabiria are 2 superb films. Really glad to see both in, especially The Return which is a nice surprise.

Reply to Topic