2019 Mofo Film Awards

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
And The Mofo Film Award Goes To....

I for one did not like this movie and it seems no one else did either. Stale performances, uninspired story and all around rough in every area you can imagine, MIB was dead on arrival. CATS and Sharon Tate got some hate, but not enough.

Best Director of the Year

Quentin Tarantino - Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Sam Mendes - 1917

Bong Joon Ho - Parasite

Martin Scoresese - The Irishman

Said Brothers - Uncut Gems

Welcome to the human race...
Turns out being an unforgettable atrocity is better than being an especially soulless excuse for a franchise film. Who knew?

And the Mofo Film Award Goes To...

[img]Bong Joon Ho - Parasite
[/img]

We line up with the Oscars this year for Director, but will we for Best Picture? Bong Joon Ho took this home with 7 votes and surprise entry the Safdi Brothers came in second with 4. No real love for Mendes or Scoresese and Tarantino himself has to lose another Best Director category.

And the Mofo Film Award Goes To...

Yes....Parasite won this as well. The dominate film this year at both the Oscars and Mofos'. This film never had an equal. It dominate in most of the categories it was nominated in. Here, it took home the big prize with 7 votes. Once Upon A Time came up short in second place with 4. Some love was spread out to Uncut Gems, Knives Out and The Lighthouse. Surprise nominee Peanut Butter Falcon got a vote as well.

For Best Supporting Actress I voted for the winner, Cho Yeo-Jeong.
Song Kang-Ho was my choice for Best Supporting Actor, but Willem Dafoe's amazing performance in Lighthouse is definitely worthy of the win too.
I didn't vote for Lupita Nyong'o, but her performance was very good. I think I might have unintentionally let the fact that the movie itself wasn't as good as some of the others, influence my vote for this category.
Best Actor should have gone to Joaquin Phoenix , but I have to admit that I did consider voting for Adam Sandler.

Parasite is the big winner of the night taking home 6 awards, including Best Picture, Director, Supporting Actress and Screenplay.

The Lighthouse got some love with the cinematography award and Dafoe earning a well deserved win for Supporting Actor.

Once Upon A Time got some love with Best Cast and Funniest Scene.

Everything else seemed to be spread out a little here and there.

Parasite was my #1 of the year, so I'm glad to see it get the love it deserved. Is it a shame we match up with the Oscars? Yes it is. Is it a shame Parasite is earning some much needed love, no it is not.

Thanks to all who voted, I'm glad people were around to discuss their votes LIVE. This was a solid year with a surprise or two, but mostly a movie deserving the recognition it's received.

Sorry for disappearing when the big ones came. I had a serious coffee craving...

Anyways, now enjoying my coffee and reading through the last ones, I don’t have much to say. Pretty much all of them deserving of the win. Some categories were really tough. It’s cool to see Parasite also do well here and even take home the big one.

And while it hurts me to say it I will: nice work, Suspect.

Welcome to the human race...
My usual breakdown...

Breakdown  

I intended to be here for the reveal, but completely lost track of time. So get ready for a wall of text that would've been sprinkled throughout the thread in bite-sized chunks if I had been around.

I wasn't really impressed by the visual effects of any film from last year, but voted for Avengers. Ad Astra would've been my second choice. I couldn't remember any sounds from Ad Astra, so I voted for Ford v Ferrari in that category. Similarly, none of the scores really left an impact on me, but I ultimately went with Us.

Roman Griffin Davis got my vote for Best Breakout Performance. I normally don't like child actors, but both he and Archie Yates did a fantastic job. While I was a little disappointed by The Lighthouse (I think I heard too much praise it before I saw it), it got my vote for Best Cinematography. I'm glad it won over 1917.

For Best Cast, it was mostly between Knives Out and Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood for me, though everyone in Parasite was also great. I voted for Knives Out. Mixed Bag was between Under the Silver Lake and The Dead Don't Die for me. The Dead Don't Die was ultimately more of a disappointment than a "mixed bag", so Silver Lake got my vote there.

I voted for the "Heil, Hitler!" scene, but the sex scene from Dolemite was a close second. The Manson attack was fun, but it didn't make me laugh out loud like those two did. That scene was however quite memorable, but I voted for the party in Parasite. I didn't watch Peanut Butter Falcon after, but I stand by the fact that Dolemite is My Name should have won the Underrated category and you can't change my mind about it haha.

For me, 1917 was by far the most overrated film of the year. It was a technically fantastic film, but I disliked pretty much everything about it. I wasn't disappointed in Star Wars, because I expected it to be pretty mediocre. As I said before, The Dead Don't Die was the one film I expected to like a lot more than I did, so it got my vote there.

I don't particularly like Eddie Murphy, so I was quite surprised by how much I enjoyed Dolemite is My Name. It easily got my vote here. My second choice would've been Booksmart, since I only watched it after my room mate kept saying how good it was, and I was surprised that I didn't hate it.

Parasite got my vote for Best Foreign Film, but Portrait of a Lady on Fire was a pretty close second. I only watched it just before sending my ballot in, and I might've actually nominated it for some other categories had I seen it earlier. I didn't watch a single documentary last year, so I didn't vote in that category. I wasn't going to vote in the animated category either since I had only seen two of the films, but my vote for J'ai Perdu Mon Corps didn't seem to matter anyway.

Best Screenplay was probably one of the toughest categories. I voted for Parasite, since it was my favourite film of the year. I was going to vote for Cho Yeo Jeong as Best Supporting Actress, but apparently I voted for Laura Dern. That may or may not have been a mistake, but Cho Yeo Jeong won anyway so it's all good. Song Kang-Ho was my choice for Best Supporting Actor, but Willem Dafoe gave a great performance and might've been my second choice.

While I didn't love Us as much as some other people did, I voted for Lupita Nyong'o as Best Actress. I liked Ana de Armas as well, but Nyong'o left much more of an impact. I don't deny that Sandler gave a good performance (in what I saw of Uncut Gems anyway), but I voted for Adam Driver in the Best Actor category.

Men in Black: International was a film I originally nominated as Biggest Disappointment, but it didn't make the cut. It wasn't very good, but there's no way it's worse than Cats you guys!

Bong Joon-ho got my vote for Best Director, but Tarantino gave him a good run for his money. Parasite unsurprisingly also got my vote for Best Film, so I'm glad to see it win there.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I was certain Phoenix would have taken this one but I'm so glad Sandler got it! I am one of those who usually hates the type of things Adam Sandler does but the man knows how to act when acting is needed! Brilliant perfomance!

I couldn’t stick around for the biggies, but glad to see most of my votes were the winners! Namely Parasite, my favorite of the year. Too bad Toy Story 4 didn’t win BAP, really did love that one.