Are audiences so sensitive and offended by movie content nowadays?

Tools    

“I was cured, all right!”
This offended people needs to know the old and good Takashi Miike.
Honestly, american films can't offend too many people 'cause most films are made for people that can be offended by a comedian in the Golden Globe.

If I am talking about 90s-2000s, there is very little diversity to be honest. For a black actor, you have to be twice as good to garner the same reputation. There is a common saying in British TV, if you are black, move to America, there is very little chance of him/her making it. But it's getting better.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh okay, how is it that they have to be twice as good exactly? I guess I just see diversity in movies I watch. For example, a lot of the complaints are too white male characters, but I can think of lots of movies off the top of my white male actors are not the leads. Thelma and Louise, Set It Off, and Widows off the top of my head.

When Widows came out, it's almost as if the same people wanting diversity were angry about it. They didn't even acknowledge the movie when it came out for having female lead characters, with the main one being black. It's almost as SJW complainers said "darn, they actually did it, but we can't compliment their efforts, cause it will be more effective to deny it, and just complain only". I mean people want diversity, and than Widows comes out and nobody acknowledges it for diversity.

Unless I am wrong?

Plus I find it very hard to believe that A24 is the only movie company in the world that would have funded The Farewell.

Movies like Prince of Persia with Jake Gyllenhal. It's Persia for F sake! Now if Hollywood can't find a middle Eastern dude who can speak some darn English, then I am lost. And what is Gerrard Butler doing in an Egyptian movie? And I paid 12 bucks for that garbage!

I mean whitewashing is a real thing. Don't know what happened in the aftermath of the release of Widows, so can't really comment on that.

Prince of Persia is not very good though is it? It's McDonald's level entertainment, so that's like saying diversity of the food at McDonald's is not as good as diverse as The Capital Grille.

Plus I find it very hard to believe that A24 is the only movie company in the world that would have funded The Farewell.

From what I know, Disney and one other major production company MGM or Fox approached her, but with the condition of white characters.

Posted this elsewhere, but some black Americans are outraged because Cynthia Erivo, who is British, played Harriet Tubman. Cynthia is black, but she is not the descendant of African slaves.

Yet in the very good movie The Two Popes nobody has seemed to give a damn that 2 Welshmen play, respectively, a German pope & an Argentinian pope.

Prince of Persia is not very good though is it? It's McDonald's level entertainment, so that's like saying diversity of the food at McDonald's is not as good as diverse as The Capital Grille.

It isn't, but just saying. It is just an example. Lone Ranger and Johnny Depp also comes to mind. But that is the biggest loss making movie ever if I recall correctly.

About SJW, there is nice video about it on YouTube on the channel knowing better. Give that a shot.

Posted this elsewhere, but some black Americans are outraged because Cynthia Erivo, who is British, played Harriet Tubman. Cynthia is black, but she is not the descendant of African slaves.

Yet in the very good movie The Two Popes nobody has seemed to give a damn that 2 Welshmen play, respectively, a German pope & an Argentinian pope.

Some had issues with Kamala Harris, coz she is Carribbean. It's like black people are only from Africa! But that is a different discussion altogether!

Oh okay, well The Lone Ranger was trying to be an over the top comedy that one cannot take seriously, so I didn't think race was an issue if the movie is trying to be silly and wacky. However, I only got this impression from the trailer, and haven't watched the movie. That was just my interpretation of the trailer.

I'll give that video a shot.

I thought that when it came to a movie like Harriet, that casting a British actress was based on who they felt did best in the auditions, rather than the actors ancestry. To compare, when Schindler's List came out, was anyone back then complaining about Ben Kingsley's character, not descending from actual Jewish ancestry?

Okay thanks, I am watching the video now.

I feel that Hollywood is the most diverse film industry in the world possibly. Sure it is run by white people, but it is more diverse than other film industries in the world that are not run by white people. The Hong Kong film industry is not as diverse, the East Indian film industry is not as diverse, etc. The Canadian one where I live, does not seem as diverse possibly, but it's getting close to Hollywood now I think.

So I find it ironic that the most diverse film industry, possibly Hollywood is the one that is picked on the most. Could it be that the reason why they are most diverse is the reason they are picked on the most, cause the complainers feel that that if they can get the most diverse one do things their way, than the rest will follow?

I love Korean cinema for example, but every time I watch a Korean movie, the filmmakers never have included any non-Asians in their movies so far from what I've seen. But I don't get bent out of shape about it, if that's the filmmakers choice.

Okay thanks, I am watching the video now.

I feel that Hollywood is the most diverse film industry in the world possibly. Sure it is run by white people, but it is more diverse than other film industries in the world that are not run by white people. The Hong Kong film industry is not as diverse, the East Indian film industry is not as diverse, etc. The Canadian one where I live, does not seem as diverse possibly, but it's getting close to Hollywood now I think.

So I find it ironic that the most diverse film industry, possibly Hollywood is the one that is picked on the most. Could it be that the reason why they are most diverse is the reason they are picked on the most, cause the complainers feel that that if they can get the most diverse one do things their way, than the rest will follow?

I love Korean cinema for example, but every time I watch a Korean movie, the filmmakers never have included any non-Koreans in their movies so far from what I've seen. But I don't get bent out of shape about it, if that's the filmmakers choice.
Diversity seems to be a racist term to me To me, it looks like it means, less White people.

So, I think that would be the reason that Hollywood is being the one forced into this, and why the likes of Bollywood and Nollywood aren't

Some had issues with Kamala Harris, coz she is Carribbean. It's like black people are only from Africa! But that is a different discussion altogether!
I don't care were a person's family line originated from...But just for conversation purposes: I don't think there were any black people in the Caribbean before white slave traders brought them there. The Caribbean was inhabited originally by indigenous people who historically were referred to as 'Indians'. One of the more numerous peoples were the Caribs who after contact with Europeans mostly died off from diseases and war.

Well for a movie like Harriet, I think what some people just need to realize is that it's a movie. It's an illusion. Actors and filmmakers trying to sell the world they are creating. Why does everything have to be so authentic, as oppose to being sold on an illusion?

I don't care were a person's family line originated from...But just for conversation purposes: I don't think there were any black people in the Caribbean before white slave traders brought them there. The Caribbean was inhabited originally by indigenous people who historically were referred to as 'Indians'. One of the more numerous peoples were the Caribs who after contact with Europeans mostly died off from diseases and war.

Yeah true. Mostly for sugar. But I guess people here think 5-6 centuries has diluted it a lot!

Yeah true. Mostly for sugar. But I guess people here think 5-6 centuries has diluted it a lot!
I've been to many different Caribbean islands, some are almost all populated by black slave descents. Some have more Spanish and European mix. Each island is unique in it's cultural history.

When it comes to lack of race diversity in Hollywood, is the argument that most rich people in Hollywood are white, and white people do not want to fund movies with non-white characters? This is correct to an extent.

However, when it comes people complaining there are not enough women roles in movies, where is this coming from. I see so many women roles in movies. So this one seems more like getting bent out of shape then the race argument. So with millennials complaining about lack of women roles, I am thinking where have they been, and what have they been watching this whole time. Unless I am wrong?

Well for a movie like Harriet, I think what some people just need to realize is that it's a movie. It's an illusion. Actors and filmmakers trying to sell the world they are creating. Why does everything have to be so authentic, as oppose to being sold on an illusion?
As Julie Christie said decades ago after her brilliant movie Darling came out, when asked if it were based on parts of her own life she was incredulous. She replied that if she were playing her own life it wouldn’t be acting.

In Away from Her, Julie plays a Canadian. Nobody cared or questioned this. Now that I think about it, there was, of course, no hoopla over her playing a Russian in Zhivago.

Diversity seems to be a racist term to me To me, it looks like it means, less White people.

So, I think that would be the reason that Hollywood is being the one forced into this, and why the likes of Bollywood and Nollywood aren't
I guess, but it still comes off as a double standard though, that is never acknowledged.