Theater etiquette and stories

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Weirdly enough, the last unruly patron I had to deal with was at a screening of Fanny and Alexander. This guy was sitting in my row (at most about six seats away). Throughout the film, he kept making audible (not loud, but he wasn't whispering either) comments to someone next to him (mostly expressing annoyance or disgust with various characters such as the bishop or Gustav) and spending a not-insignificant amount of time pulling out his phone and looking at it. This lasted the entire film - he might be the most annoying audience member I've ever experienced (though I've only dealt with very few memorable annoyances so who knows if I'm forgetting one).

Speaking of which, that's a good question - where do we stand on people who use their phone as their timepiece while in a movie?

You can look up movie runtimes in advance, so I'm not sure there's much need for it.

More importantly, it's really not that hard to angle the phone in such a way as to eliminate (or nearly eliminate) any possible screen light for people behind you. It just requires that you actually think of people around you and make a modicum of effort.

Welcome to the human race...
I guess the main reason would be to check how much longer the movie goes for. Ideally, you'd keep it to a minimum - as few times as possible, angling it to be unobtrusive like you said, and also putting it away as soon as you've checked the time. It should only take a few seconds at most to see the time on your lock screen before you put it back, but this guy I was talking about was looking at it for much longer than that and he must have done this at least half a dozen times.

You ready? You look ready.
Speaking of which, that's a good question - where do we stand on people who use their phone as their timepiece while in a movie?
Get a fracking watch.

"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The Bib-iest of Nickels
A couple of infants were brought, for no good reason, to see The Giver on a Friday night. They cried and cried and cried, and listening in, I was even able to hear the Mother trying to sooth them by singing in a jam-packed theater! Eventually, she bit the bullet and left, but it still blows my mind how inconsiderate some people can be. It’d be different if The Giver was a children’s movie and the children can engage themselves in the subject-matter, as opposed to sitting idly by while their mother watches the film.

For instance, in a recent outing, this outing for Hotel Translyvania 3, a small boy hollered and hooted excitedly, (and at one point even chucked his large bag of popcorn across the room, spilling it everywhere) at least I could tell that boy was having the time of his life watching the film. The kid was special needs, in case you wondered why his parents didn’t effectively end up right then and there with the popcorn incident. I understand his disturbances might still annoy people (and, honestly, if you pay the price of admission, you have every right to be upset about pterodactyl cries filling the room), but I was able to move on from it.

They obviously knew he would cause a scene and were in the back row, unlike the mother with infant’s, who sat smack-dab in the middle. Also, they went on a matinee showing on a weekday, knowing less people would be there and that price of admission is cut-in-half, whereas the woman brought her crying infants in on opening night. I don’t really have an essential lesson to teach with this tangent, but I think reasonability and consideration are more likely to paid back in equal measures. That said, the brief moment where the small boy moved three seats away from his parents and sat on his knees staring at me with a Cheshire cat grin was admittedly unpleasant.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
How is this here when no one has bumped since 2004? So i will bump it.?

Oops my mistake. I swear those posts werent there. Carry on.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I remember years ago a group of teenagers letting off a fart bomb in a comedy movie. It made me laugh honestly.

I watched the new sicario the other day. A bloke maybe mid 20s in a group of three let off a giant fart. It made me laugh honestly. He also had the balls to stay til the very end when the lights came on which I give him credit for.

How is this here when no one has bumped since 2004? So i will bump it.?

Oops my mistake. I swear those posts werent there. Carry on.
Stop trolling Dani lol
Ok larry. Its a bit too breezy on tbis after lunch on friday when people want to rum amock rather than do their stuff

Ok larry. Its a bit too breezy on tbis after lunch on friday when people want to rum amock rather than do their stuff

was just joking
I know. It was funny. Are you on north side or south? Pretty niply on the north.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I know. It was funny. Are you on north side or south? Pretty niply on the north.

South. It's freezing and has been for a couple months! Very cold winter.

PS - stop trolling.

South. It's freezing and has been for a couple months! Very cold winter.

PS - stop trolling.
Why do yiu keep saying tthat. Stop beung a menace. It was funny the first time.