Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sullivan's Travels (1941)

+

I was surprised that I enjoyed this comedic adventure as much as I did. I thought Joel McCrae lacked a little star power in the lead, but he ended up doing a very nice job. It's when Veronica Lake enters the picture that it really takes off. It takes a bit of a dark turn at the end, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.

They Might Be Giants (1971)

Frank & Lola (2016)

The Entertainer (1960)

The Light Between Oceans (2016)

Nocturnal Animals (2016)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Twelve Monkeys -
+

Big fan of La Jettee so i was curious what this would turn out like, thought it was great. Great story; it had my attention throughout and even though i pretty much figured it out early on i was always interested in how it would all come together. Good performances especially Brad PItt; he was so fun to watch, actually that's my only real complaint i'd have liked to have seen even more than him. Loved the way it looked to some fantastic angles and trippy sequences, great stuff.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
glad to hear you liked 12 monkeys, camo. Pitt WAS very funny it that one and makes for a great highlight when he shows up.
Been a fan of it since it came out and watched it at the theater. Pretty incredible on the big screen.

Fantastic Beasts and where to find them(2016)

I went in hoping for a solid prequel, but was prepared for a disappointment. Unfortunately the latter came true. The story and characters were pretty weak, and the CG didn't look too convincing. The beasts themselves just felt like a distracment from the main story, as well as an excuse for pretty lazy jokes. The actors did a fine job with what they had though, the problem for me was the script. It simply can't compare to Harry Potter, and I am wondering how they're going to make five movies out of this.

I give it a 6 out of 10!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Rudderless. And thoroughly enjoyed, much more than I was expecting to. Interesting movie.

Glad people are seeing this film. It caught me by surprise and I really enjoy the music.

Hunt For The Wilderpeople -

Suspect's Reviews

Wasn't planning to revisit it this year, but I watched A Christmas Carol (1984) again on Blu-ray, which looks really good, with the colours all nice and vibrant.

On this viewing I really appreciated Roger Rees as Fred because I think he plays the emotion in Fred's relationship with his uncle brilliantly, and he might well be the best Fred. Pretty much all the extra, i.e. non-Dickens material is worthwhile, and the only thing that grates are the few Americanisms or simplifications for the audience, and the everpresent and overused 'theme' for the film.

The thing I really love in this version, aside from George C. Scott – who is definitive – is the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come. What a flawless job! I couldn't remember whether it had skeletal hands and was pleased when I saw that it has elongated, black-clad fingers – I think an improvement on the simple human hands seen in Scrooge.

Anyway, 6/10

I haven't seen A Christmas Carol (1984) for a while but it's one of the best of the Christmas Carol movies...and there's a lot of good versions too. George C. Scott really brought a human touch to Scrooge when he visits his past life and what might have been. The Patrick Steward version is a good one too.

I haven't seen A Christmas Carol (1984) for a while but it's one of the best of the Christmas Carol movies...and there's a lot of good versions too. George C. Scott really brought a human touch to Scrooge when he visits his past life and what might have been. The Patrick Steward version is a good one too.
He did – I love it when he launches himself onto the bed at the end . Fantastic energy Scott has, even when Scrooge is so gloomy it's great how the laughter's still there, but it's twisted into mocking people like Fred and Bob.

The Stewart version certainly has the best special effects – Marley works extremely well I think, and very faithful to Dickens's description. I liked Saskia Reeves as Mrs Cratchit as well – at last she got to go Cockney. And Richard E. Grant really surprised me as it's not the type of role you'd expect for him.

The George C. Scott version is my favorite too.

Hannah and Her Sisters (1986) - REWATCH

This was so much better than I remembered it to be. I always liked this film a lot, but I never considered it as one of my absolute favorite films (even though it did make my 80s list at the time). I felt it was pretty much a perfect film this time around, though. I completely fell in love with it.
There are many great individual scenes that are only strengthened by the context of the whole. The insightful human observations, told with one of the most wonderful cinematic rhythms I've witnessed in a long time, truly make for an unbelievable experience. The music, the imagery, the performances, the characters... I was completely enchanted by all of it. I'm just going to give the film a perfect rating in here because I loved it so much this time around and because I don't care about the importance of my ratings anyway.
This experience made me think of my rewatch of North By Northwest a few months ago, also a film that I thought was perfect the second time around, while I didn't think it was before.
I wish Woody could still make films of this level today. American cinema needs more of this. I wonder why he doesn't really come close to reaching his former peaks anymore.

P.S. I think I'm finally going to watch Bergman's Fanny and Alexander in the near future, as this film is said to be partly inspired by it.

Master of My Domain
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Don't wanna beat a dead horse, you know it: this film is average. Worth it if you're a Star Wars fan, otherwise there are better action films out there.

-

Hannah and Her Sisters (1986) - REWATCH

This was so much better than I remembered it to be. I always liked this film a lot, but I never considered it as one of my absolute favorite films (even though it did make my 80s list at the time).
It's funny that you said this because this is, hands down, my favorite Woody Allen movie.

Last watched "Chennai Express"