Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
So I saw the green inferno last night. I can't think of a gorier movie. End of the day, as disturbing as it was and as unpleasant as some of the scenes were...I liked it and thought it was a decent horror. I'll write up a review in a few days...this movie is not for the timid.

3/5

I will rate 3 movies in this instance.

Groundhog Day(1993)

Great performance by Bill Murray and a well-written and hilarious story at that. The idea of a man living the same day over and over again, and making changes as he goes along is a really interesting idea.

9 /10!

And next I am going to rate the first two Harry Potter movies, since I just started a marathon rewatching the series.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone(2001)

An excellent beginning of a story, making a good effort of setting up the wizarding world whilst keeping a sense of mystery and excitement. The child actors are pretty good, and some of the adult-ones are great, particulary Alan Rickman as Professor Snape, Richard Harris as Dumbledore, and Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid. The CG, being dated in some ocassions, still looks pretty nice. And while the tone of the movie clearly aims at a younger audience, it's still a pretty good movie and start to a series.

I give it a 7 out of 10!

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets(2003)

A slight improvement over it's predecessor, with a darker tone and greater insight of the wizarding world and it's social problems, to some degree. The main antagonist of Lucius Malfoy, played by Jason Isaacs, was a great addition, and you really developed a hate for him during the course of the film. I also really like how they are slowly building up the true main villain, showing you glimses and parts of him before he truly appears.

Overall, a well-made and slightly better sequel.

7 out of 10!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Tokyo Story - 8/10

Re-watch... I notice Ozu not only uses the same characters, but they all play the same role. Setsuko Hara is always shy but perfect. Chishu Ryu is always wise, always with his "hmmm" moments.

Timecrimes (2007)

This is not the type of movie that usually interests me, but I tried it for the upcoming Sci-Fi countdown. I think it's considered more of a time loop film than time travel, since there's only like an hour messed with. This is a pretty well regarded film, but it didn't do much to keep my interest. It has a horror element which is a big plus for me, but it also looks fairly low budget, something I don't mind with horror but doesn't suit my taste in Sci-Fi. The director and star is named Nacho, and the girl in the photo has a nice rack. At 90 minutes long, it was an ok watch for me.

Hosoda's film is not at his best (being his weakest film out of the four I watched) but still works quite well: I found it a bit forced at times. Well, his style lacks the elegance of Miyazaki although he looks like he is consciously trying to copy him.
The animation was good but everything else was pretty weak, I was disappointed with this one tbh.

Amazing movie. Must watch no questions asked just watch it now
Agree with your review, disagree with your sig.

The Double Life of Veronique -

Beautiful film. I'm sure some people would find some of the story a bit silly but it is so naturally acted and there's so much else going on that it didn't bother me; i was briefly a bit confused at one point because i hadn't realized it had turned to Veroniques story. Great job by Irene Jacob she played both characters similar enough to fit the story while keeping them distinct so they did actually feel like different people. The film looked spectacular, loved the use of colour, the greens and yellows, the shadows, etc. Great music too. My only problem with this were these really abrupt cuts that instantly took you into the next scene, there were only maybe four or five but it was still jarring because everytime it happened it didn't feel like the scene had finished. Anyway great film, i'd still say i prefer Red but i would put this second of the four Kieslowskis i have seen.

The animation was good but everything else was pretty weak, I was disappointed with this one tbh.
Even the space pirate movie was better and I had much higher expectations for Hosoda's film but apparently disappointment with this film is widely shared in the animation comunity.

oh wow..i did not recognize Carice! goes to show what a little make up and haircolour change can do. she looked absolutely beautiful in this movie-not that she looks bad anywhere else.creepily enough i recognized her when she took her top off.
Great movie about Nazi germany with an amazing cast. i see its 10 years old,i cant believe ive overlooked it for so long. really glad i decided to check it out

Don't Breathe (2016)

+

My expectations were lower than they normally would be for this movie. That's because I hated the director's Evil Dead remake, and I was disappointed in other 2016 horror hits, Green Room and The VVitch. For what it is, I thought this movie was fantastic, and at about 85 minutes long without credits, it doesn't overstay it's welcome. I thought it was intense all the way through. It has enough violence to add that edge, but not too much as to overshadow the tension. Solid performances, a good twist, and crisp direction are all present.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Moana

(Ron Clements & John Musker)

2016 has been a particularly strong year for animated films. With the likes of Zootopia, Finding Dory and Kubo & The Two Strings all vying for best animated picture of the year, it seems Moana deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as well. It's no fluke that out of the four movies I just mentioned, 3 of them belong under the house of the mouse.

Legend has it that demigod Maui stole a sacred stone, the heart of the goddess Te Fiti. The lava demon confronted him and both the heart and Maui were lost forever. Now, the world is slowly dying and someone must find the heart and force Maui to put it back. But who is this chosen one? It might be Moana, a Polynesian girl who is suppose to be taking over as chief of her tribe, but longs to sail beyond the reef. Featuring new comer Auli'i Carvalho as Moana and the most electrifying man in sports entertainment, Dwayne 'The Rock" Johnson, as the demigod Maui.

It's not surprising that I found myself tapping my feet to the songs in this film because Lin-Manuel Miranda, creator of Hamilton, shares his talent with this film. I can easily see any one of the songs in this piece going up for and winning Best Original Song, giving the man the O in the prestigious PEGOT award circle. He currently has a Pulitzer, Emmy, Tony and Grammy, among more. The songs here remind me of the old-school Disney songs, easy to listen to, fun to play on repeat and important to the story. At first, I felt it was a little too on the nose with some of the lyrics, but eventually he won me over and I've been listening to the soundtrack ever since.

The film itself might lack some of the intricacies of plot heavy films like Zootopia, but this journey story is entertaining and heartfelt. The vibrant colours of the green islands and the blue sea help propel the film above and beyond what some others films have to offer. The animation takes a nice little turn for the creative when the characters find themselves under the sea in a side villains lair. We are treated with some bioluminescent sequences with another catchy tune not far behind.

Johnson is stellar as Maui, he seems completely comfortable in a voice acting role and surprisingly has the chops to sing a tune. Newcomer Auli'i Carvalho holds her own against a star like Johnson and she really gives a strong voice to a driven female character. I applaud that Disney didn't feel the need to shoehorn in a love story either. This is a tale about self discovery, not some young woman needing to find a man. Disney nods and respects their past while looking to the future with Moana. Princesses no longer need to be the 'love' goal of a man.

Moana is a visually beautiful film with great songs and a strong female lead character. There are some visually gags for the kids and a great time for adults. Moana is a great film.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Four Christmases -

Wife wanted to watch a christmas movie because I watch horror movies for Halloween.....this was her choice. An unfunny Vince Vaughn flick about how people avoid families on Christmas.

Mr. Right -

Weird casting here as Sam Rockwell and Anna Kendrick are paired up as romantic lovers in this film. Rockwell is a hired assassin who kills the people that hire him. Kendrick is the lovable chick looking for love. These two have great chemistry, but the lack of believability that they would ever get together is a little too much. This also doubles as an action comedy.

The Boy -

A woman takes a job looking after an older couples child. Trouble is, this child is a doll. Once the parents leave, creepy things start happening. Is this doll really alive? The creepiest thing this film offers, is a single shot of the doll. That's their selling point, everything else doesn't work. When the reveal at the end happens, you'll roll your eyes from the stupidity.

The Voices -

Ryan Reynolds stars in this light hearted serial killer flick. Both his cat and his dog talk to Reynolds. A little good angel, bad devil scenario and Reynolds finds himself in deep trouble when he accidentally kills someone. His world of roses and smiles slowly slips away the more and more he doesn't take his medication. We as the viewer are watching through Reynolds, so as his mask of insanity starts to slip, we get a glimpse into the real world and it's not pretty.

Gods of Egypt -

Alex Proyas, such promise. Gods of Egypt is a hilariously bad film that might actually think it's a good one. Decent special effects, which are undone by terrible green screen and an insane story do nothing to help this flick. It's a typical movie to have a good drinking game with or something to have on in the background while you do something else.

I am probably not going to rate every one of these movies during this marathon, but I felt the need to at least review this one since I really liked it.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban(2004)

If it's predecessor was an improvement over the first film, this one is miles better. It has a more dark and mature tone, while still keeping to the franchises roots with a cosy feeling and some humour. This film perfectly balances the two elements, being more adult oriented, but still feeling like a Harry Potter movie. I really like the story and the twists of this one, and you can see that the young actors are evolving, getting better and better with each film. The film is beautifuly shot, and the cinematography certainly adds to the darker tone. This feels somewhat like a coming of age story, and I am looking forward to seeing it's sequels. If I am not totally blown away by any of the other films, this might become my favorite of the series.

I give it an 8 out of 10!

(Keep in mind, that this it not the first time I've seen these movies. Just the first time as an adult, so my perspective of them is different).

Welcome to the human race...
Don't Breathe (2016)

+

My expectations were lower than they normally would be for this movie. That's because I hated the director's Evil Dead remake, and I was disappointed in other 2016 horror hits, Green Room and The VVitch. For what it is, I thought this movie was fantastic, and at about 85 minutes long without credits, it doesn't overstay it's welcome. I thought it was intense all the way through. It has enough violence to add that edge, but not too much as to overshadow the tension. Solid performances, a good twist, and crisp direction are all present.
Lucky you, I thought this was awful and the last half hour or so felt like a serious when-will-it-end-already slog - but then again I liked Green Room (which I'd argue is more suspense thriller than straight horror), The VVitch (another does-this-count-as-horror piece), and even the new Evil Dead so what do I know.

No questions asked Iro!!!!!
But wiggywonka makes so many questionable posts!

Last movie I watched...

Into the Inferno -

Another Herzog/nature/chaos movie, albeit one where absolute order (as typified by the DPRK) comes across as even more unsettling than the absolute chaos of exploding volcanoes.

The Conjuring (2013) -

Lucky you, I thought this was awful and the last half hour or so felt like a serious when-will-it-end-already slog - but then again I liked Green Room (which I'd argue is more suspense thriller than straight horror), The VVitch (another does-this-count-as-horror piece), and even the new Evil Dead so what do I know.
You know how to break down a film's quality more than I do, and it was already clear that we just have different taste in horror or horror related crap.