Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

(COUNTLESS REWATCHES) The Big Sleep (1946)
It's Bogie and Bacall - that's ALL that needs to be said.
Besides, IF I said more, I'd just go on and on and on and etc. and so forth, and anyways, as I was saying - but what I really want to delve into and talk about is, and, finally, in closing. . .
It's f@ckin Bogie and Bacall for f@ck sake! C'MON!!

The Devil and Miss Jones (1941)
++ A lighthearted comedy with Charles Coburn playing a frustrated owner of a large department store who decides to go "undercover" as an employee to find out what the hell his employees who want to go Union are thinking and then, tell them off. The "conspirators" are played by Jean Arthur and Robert Cummnings who are too damn charming for Coburn NOT to care about.

Hardcore Henry
To
++ The whole "watching from first person view video game" gimmick got pretty aggravating a lot of the time. I'd rather PLAY the damn game then watch the play time (as it were) and the jostling of the camera drove me nuts. Midway through I was ready to shut it off.
But I stuck it out.
The over the top computer game stylized violence was pretty f@ckin awesome at times. Some of the accompanying music was also rather good. In particular, the final fight scene with Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" was a lot of fun to watch.
And the VERY last end scene and final death. . . . . . F@CK YES.

(MULTIPLE REWATCH) O Brother, Where Art Thou?
This and The Big Lebowski are in a serious head-to-head tie for my ultimate favorite Coen movie.

"Gopher, Everett?"

Ghostbusters (2016)

Nowhere near as bad a film as I've heard, this reboot is a lot of fun. It even makes fun of the fact that it exists. By now you know that four women make up the team of Ghostbusters, which was a complaint from a lot of men, I assume. Being a man myself, I didn't care. I was a bit dubious about a remake/reboot, wondering why, with money being the answer, I'm sure. But, with all this doubting, after seeing it, all doubt was put aside.

This is a fun, funny, and action-filled movie, with scores of effects of course. Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones make up the team of paranormal fighters. Chris Hemsworth (Thor himself) plays their air-headed secretary who has quite a few funny moments in the movie. All the cast are fine, but McKinnon and Jones get the lion's share of funny scenes in the movie.

There are numerous nice references to the original film here, with
WARNING: spoilers below
Bill Murray having a small, comical role; also, most of the original actors make cameos, including Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Sigourney Weaver, and Annie Potts, albeit as different characters. And they actually interact with the new actors instead of just being background cameos. The effects are pretty dynamite, with Slimer from the original having a fair-sized cameo; Ecto-1 shows up; the Stay-Puft Marshmellow Man is there, and the Ghosbusters original logo,
having a major part near the end that you have to see to believe.

But if you have trouble with the whole "rebooting" concept, just don't think of the first movie. It still retains it greatness status and this movie doesn't threaten to replace it at all.

"Audrie and Daisy"

7/10. A good solid documentary that deals with the almost "casualization" of sexual assault at high school level. I just wanted to punch that fat sherriff right in the kisser. What a vile, ignorant individual.

The Thing(1982)

Amazing and suspensful movie with great acting. I think I actually prefer this one to the original(The Thing from Another World), which was amazing on it's own. The added mystery of the shape-shifting creature was a welcome difference. This is how you do a remake.

9/10!

Doctor Strange(2016)

A line from the movie perfectly describes this, "Forget everything you think you know". This is not a typical superhero movie, but a fantasy film, and a really good one at that. Benedict Cumberbatch always delivers. And even though Mads Mikkelsen was, as per usual when it comes to the Marvel movies, kind of underdeveloped, it was to me a step in the right direction. Mikkelsen was great as always, and the character's motivations made him something more than your typical "take over the world" kind of bad guy. Tilda Swinton, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Benedict Wong was also great, and the action scenes were well-done.

8/10!

Nerve (2016)

The Cry of the Owl 6/10 — decent film.

Paddy Considine's always good and this was no exception. I liked Julia Stiles as well. I found the music interesting because it was like a 'soft' Bernard Herrmann.

Welcome to the human race...
The Salesman -
, maybe

Probably one of the best films I've seen this year. Will have to think on it a bit, though.

The Cry of the Owl 6/10 — decent film.

Paddy Considine's always good and this was no exception. I liked Julia Stiles as well. I found the music interesting because it was like a 'soft' Bernard Herrmann.
Check if you can't Le cri du hibou (1987) by Claude Chabrol. French-Italian thriller film, adapted from the 1962 novel The Cry of the Owl by Patricia Highsmith.

The Killers 1946

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Sullivan's Travels -

Very good film. There was rarely a dull moment. Wouldn't say it was hilarious but it was really entertaining and had great dialogue. My only problem was that there were a few very silly scenes that made me cringe, there wasn't alot of them though thankfully. Even though i've never seen her in anything or could even name a film she's in, i've always been familiar with the name Veronica Lake. I mean from an early age, it's weird because i don't have a clue why this is. She was good here, i really like her voice. She had very good chemistry with Joel McRea, both of them bounced off of each other superbly which is at least partially to do with the great script. Even though i liked them alot together i think the best part of the film was probably when Sullivan is on his own again. Very well shot film too. Don't have much more to say, while it's not a new favourite i did like this alot and i'm interested in seeing more from Sturges, Lake and McRea.

Days of Heaven. What a stunning looking film. Surprised this is nearly 40 years old now. It must have been way ahead of it's time. A fine portrayal by both females as well.

The first act is a little slow but it has to be; to set the scene. I'm setting sail on a Mallick crusade in an attempt to watch more of his films, and this is a fine way to start. I'd say it's a solid 8/10 at the very least.

Julieta -
+

This was my third Almodovar after: All About My Mother and Talk To Her, while i liked this it is definitely quite a bit weaker than those. There was nothing wrong with it at all; well acted, good script, well shot, etc, i just didn't connect to it as much as those other two. Pretty good story, i preferred the young Julieta part mostly because i thought Adriana Ugarte gave the better performance and the opening 15 minutes with the older Julieta were really dull. I do think the older Julietas part probably had the more interesting story and the more powerful moments but the stuff with Antia felt so abrupt and weird that i didn't get fully into it. My biggest disappointment was how small Dario Grandinetti's part was, i thought he was excellent in Talk To Her and i really perked up when i noticed him.

It was a solid drama but a bit overly simple and familiar, i think the other two Almodovars i've seen had something different to them that distinguished them from so many similar melodramas and because of this i was more captivated so they worked for me more on an emotional and other levels.