My List of TV's Worst Husbands

Tools    

I dont remember it but realise he never went through with the threat. I just remember the line. I somehow think that a show like that in today's PC out of control mode would not be well received.
True. It was from a time before the sexual revolution. But it was a precursor to the issues that led to the sexual revolution which makes it important in the history of TV entertainment.

Ralph was a male chauvinist who was constantly proven wrong (that was the crux of the majority of episodes). He was to the issues of sexual equality what Archie Bunker would later be to racial issues - an example of antiquated traditionalism and erroneous thinking.

But, the nice thing was that Ralph's threats were always revealed as bluster and usually, by the end of each episode, his true love for Alice was reinforced.

Jimmy Hughes, Yes Dear

Jimmy (Mike O'Malley) seemed to hate most aspects of his life and liked to take it out on his wife (Liza Snyder).

Archie Bunker, All in The Family

I love Archie (the late Carroll O'Connor) and he was a very caring father to his "little goil" Gloria (Sally Struthers) and worked hard at being a good grandfather to Joey, but Archie was hardly husband of the year. His favorite name for Edith (the late Jean Stapleton) was "Dingbat" and was constantly telling her to shut up, though the word he used was "stifle". He would jump down her throat if dinner wasn't on the table the second he walked in the door from work. After Edith spent a year saving up for a surprise second honeymoon in Atlantic City, Archie told her he would rather stay home to watch a basketball game. He came home one day showering the family with gifts bought through gambling, something he promised Edith 20 years ago he would never do again. He worked her so hard cooking corn beef and cabbage for the St Patrick's Day celebration at his saloon that she had to be hospitalized and lied to Edith about flirting with a sexy waitress (Janis Paige) when Edith found her phone number in his pocket.

Hank Moody, Californication

Hank (David Duchovny) was an alcoholic and drug addict who single-handled destroyed his marriage to Karen (Natascha McElhone) but won't let her go either, not to mention not being the greatest father in the world either.

Peter Florrick, The Good Wife

Peter (Chris Noth) was a terrific father to Zach (Graham Phillips) and Grace (Mackenzie Vega), but he cheated on wife, Alicia (Juliana Margulies) with prostitutes for years, actions which eventually led to Peter ending up in prison and he was no prize after he got out either, including having an affair with Alicia's co-worker and BFF Kalinda (Archie Panjabi).

JR Ewing, Dallas

For anyone who watched the show, this entry shouldn't be a shock. I don't think JR (the late Larry Hagman) spent five minutes being faithful to wife, Sue Ellen (Linda Gray) and between that and the emotional abuse he heaped upon her, turned the woman into an alcoholic.

Down to # 2 already but I do have some honorable mentions:

Fred Flintstone, The Flintstones
Tony Soprano, The Sopranos
Tom Scavo, Desperate Housewives
Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
Onslow, Keeping up Appearances
Greg Sumner, Knots Landing
Chester Tate, Soap

And now, my # 1 worst TV husband:

I agreed with all the choices I knew of with the exception of Murray. I'm with Camo on this one. He's hands-off and not one for PDA, but there's nothing to suggest he mistreated her or ignored her about something serious.

I'd have had JR at #1, but I liked the list.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Hank Moody, Californication

Hank (David Duchovny) was an alcoholic and drug addict who single-handled destroyed his marriage to Karen (Natascha McElhone) but won't let her go either, not to mention not being the greatest father in the world either.

May I be a pedant for a moment, Gid? She wouldnt marry him.

Still, he was an ass clown. Dreadful partner and father.

Tony Soprano - The Sopranos
Walter White - Breaking Bad
Vic Mackey - The Shield
Don Draper - Mad Men
Frank Underwood - House of Cards
Ramsay Bolton - GOT
Nick Brody - Homeland

Ramsay Bolton - GOT
Does he even count as a husband? (And, wait a minute . . . wasn't she still married to Tyrion all along?)

Does he even count as a husband? (And, wait a minute . . . wasn't she still married to Tyrion all along?)
LOL. I don't know - can hardly remember all the plot lines in GOT. Just finished the latest season on DVD & they both referred to each other as spouses. No spoilers, but, from a woman's POV, it sure ended in a very satisfactory way.

LOL. I don't know - can hardly remember all the plot lines in GOT. Just finished the latest season on DVD & they both referred to each other as spouses. No spoilers, but, from a woman's POV, it sure ended in a very satisfactory way.
We watch it on DVD too, so we're always a season behind the rest of the world, but if you're referring to events at the conclusion of Sansa's and Ramsay's marriage, my male point of view agrees.

John Rayburn in Bloodline

Ciro Di Marcio in Gomorrah

Another great list, Gideon! I agree with most of them, that is most of the ones that I've actually watched. But you rated them right. They were mostly the ones that I was thinking of, and I couldn't think of any to add. But anyway, even though they were "Worst Husbands," I really enjoyed a lot of them.

Ray Barone from Everybody Loves Raymond -I dunno why anybody loves him; he whines, he lies, he shirks and smirks, and puts mom before wife every time. Only one worse is his dad. Well maybe Ray 's not the worst husband, but he 's got to be the worst brother. (Funny show though)

The truth is in here
Oh, he was a moron for sure... But he did have a heart of gold, even though he was so self-destructive he didn't always know how to show it. I love Hank Moody for the interesting broken soul he is.