Trash Talk

Tools    

I'm keeping this thread so I can work out my tics in a contained environment and so I don't go crap dusting other people's threads.

I'm having no luck in deleting this...

Odd vs even harmonics.

Recently, I was shown a side by side comparison of frequencies that pop out, harmonics..these were between tube and solid state driven sine waves.

I was surprised to learn that, to my ears, the solid state harmonics had a rounder, less harsh signal compared to the ones generated from the tube driven signal.

I've already yawned twice. Just boring and stupid on every level.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
I'm keeping this thread so I can work out my tics in a contained environment and so I don't go crap dusting other people's threads.

I'm having no luck in deleting this...

Odd vs even harmonics.

Recently, I was shown a side by side comparison of frequencies that pop out, harmonics..these were between tube and solid state driven sine waves.

I was surprised to learn that, to my ears, the solid state harmonics had a rounder, less harsh signal compared to the ones generated from the tube driven signal.
I have a confession to make, I'm a Solid State afficionado.

Not really, I'm more of a Clean Channel afficionado. I find the straight cleans on SS amps to be more ... well, clean and manageable.

In regard to the harmonics, Tube amps are able to produce sag to a distorted signal which makes it more pleasing [for the most part. I bought the Fender Mustang III v2 for the clean preamps and it has the Sag and Bias tweaking option, which is great when using external dirt boxes, it makes them more round sounding and compressed instead of that raspy can of bees thing.].

There are some pedals out there that deal with the even/uneven harmonics as well [the latest being the digitech freQout]

I have a confession to make, I'm a Solid State afficionado.

Not really, I'm more of a Clean Channel afficionado. I find the straight cleans on SS amps to be more ... well, clean and manageable.

In regard to the harmonics, Tube amps are able to produce sag to a distorted signal which makes it more pleasing [for the most part. I bought the Fender Mustang III v2 for the clean preamps and it has the Sag and Bias tweaking option, which is great when using external dirt boxes, it makes them more round sounding and compressed instead of that raspy can of bees thing.].

There are some pedals out there that deal with the even/uneven harmonics as well [the latest being the digitech freQout]
Dude, glad you're on board the music train. I used to use my older brother's Peavy solid state combo amp and it was nasty. I do like the tube sound, but usually it's just glassy for clean, which is cool in SRV sort of way, but for the dirt, ya gotta crank it up to 11, which, if I had no neighbors, would be fine. I'm willing to compromise with SS gear. It's the arrangement, intent and final display that counts. I know ppl that constantly obsess over tube gear, this plug in, that synth board, but, at the end of the day, where's the beef?

Music right now, right this minute. Get her done!

Yes sir, it is, and it's every bit as glorious and dirty as it should be, I think it's an 85'er!
You know I thought it might be a telephoto lens! An 85mm Canon FD mount might be worth some decent money, especially if it's a faster f stop. Ahh...the good ole days of film photography

You know I thought it might be a telephoto lens! An 85mm Canon FD mount might be worth some decent money, especially if it's a faster f stop. Ahh...the good ole days of film photography
I inherited this lens from my other older bro. It has a bit of a washed out color rendering and focus on my Nikon D5200 crop sensor digital DSLR. I really like it. I should use it more. The 85mm sounds cool. You know, I have an old Nikkor 105mm that was used to snap that infamous refugee green eyed girl on the cover of National Geographic back in 1985. Got it for a steal...beautiful images. I'll post some in a few.

Cool! another photographer, I love to see your photos. I have a 135mm f2.8 old Minotla lens that I use with an adapter on my Sony A65. It makes awesome bokeh. Oh yeah the famous National Geographic photo, I know that one!

Cool! another photographer, I love to see your photos. I have a 135mm f2.8 old Minotla lens that I use with an adapter on my Sony A65. It makes awesome bokeh. Oh yeah the famous National Geographic photo, I know that one!
Some images from a photo shoot I did with my friend using the 105mm Nikkor

In this photo, I used David Bowie's "Blackstar" vinyl wrapped in crinkled tin foil as a sun reflector to get the shine on her face.

Hey man, feel, free to post any photos you want in here...I love talking shop about scenarios, conditions, technology, etc...

Oh my gosh! You're really, really good. Those are photos! not pics. Nicely done, I love the underexposed, soft diffusion on the first photo...and love the highlights on her face. That's an impressive photo! The girl is pretty yes, but I mean the composition is awesome. All four photos are very nice, the first is my favorite.

Oh my gosh! You're really, really good. Those are photos! not pics. Nicely done, I love the underexposed, soft diffusion on the first photo...and love the highlights on her face. That's an impressive photo! The girl is pretty yes, but I mean the composition is awesome. All four photos are very nice, the first is my favorite.
Thanks, bro! I like the slightly underexposed look, too. I don't have to adjust highlights in post and the mood reminisces older films that I enjoy. It's not as "poppy" or modern as most displayed 21st century photos, but that's OK. I like both styles, though. I think the diffusion was a combo of my lack of perfect focus and the lens itself. She is a cutie pie for sure! Nice gal, too! She's a yoga teacher. She also sings and plays a few instruments, like me. We get together a couple of times every few months, so, if the weather is nice and/or the ideas are flowing, we usually pop a few off. The first photo is my fave, too, without a doubt!

Those photos look super. And so does the girl.

Congrats my friend. You are a natural.
Thanks, man! I use my memories of refinished basement sleepover-movie fests as my compass to just no brain any endeavor I pursue.

Dude, glad you're on board the music train. I used to use my older brother's Peavy solid state combo amp and it was nasty. I do like the tube sound, but usually it's just glassy for clean, which is cool in SRV sort of way, but for the dirt, ya gotta crank it up to 11, which, if I had no neighbors, would be fine. I'm willing to compromise with SS gear. It's the arrangement, intent and final display that counts. I know ppl that constantly obsess over tube gear, this plug in, that synth board, but, at the end of the day, where's the beef?

Music right now, right this minute. Get her done!
The Peavey Bandits [all Solid State goodness] use the TransTube technology to emulate that sag and biasing of tube amps I told you about. Most people loves those amps [Emperor even recorded their guitars through one in of their albums]:

I'm not a snob at all. I don't care for brands or what have you, all I care about is if the product [guitars, pedals, amps] give me the most flexibility and options.

At home, and for self indulgence purposes you don't need a tube amp [nor an SS with that much wattage]; and quite frankly you don't even need a tube amp these days at all. There are a lot of great emulating products available that far exceed what a tube amp does [ex: 2Notes cab sim, Kemper, etc]

So in the end the question is why settling for 1 trick pony when for the same price of that [or even less] you can have another product that does more.

And whenever you can, go 2nd hand. Nothing wrong with it at all.

My current gear:

Fender Aerodyne Strat [tuned to B]

Marshall Blues Breaker 2
MXR Super Badass Distortion
Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz [gonna sell it]
Joyo Dynamic Compressor [a great compressor for 30 euros]
Ibanez Dual Analogue Flanger FL99 [second hand, great flanger]
Zoom Ms70CDR [has superb emulations of delays, reverbs and chorus]
Dod Phasor [gonna sell it]
Fender Volume pedal
Joyo American Sound [not using, but not selling, does a great Fender clean amp emulation and takes pedals like a beast - also 30 euros]

all powered by a Joyo Power station [35 euros]

Fender Mustang III v2 [only use some of the pre-amps [bassman and 65 Deluxe for the most part], though some of the in built effects are quite good: compressor, noise gate, vibratone, reverbs, tremolo...]

Soon to acquire:

Mooer Rumble Drive,Tender Octaver Pro and Elady

I can attest to the quality of most of the Mooer pedals

their Black Secret is an exact copy of a Rat and Turbo Rat,
the Green Mile is an exact copy of the TS808 with an extra setting,
the Ninety Orange does the MXR phase 90 block and script thing and to my ears it sounds better - lest distorted with the mids - than the original
the Trelicopter sounds great as a simple tremolo,
the Hustle Drive is pretty much an OCD in a different package and the Tender Octaver is better than the EHX Micro Pog given that it's not as shrilling in the upper octave]

and if you wantto go even cheaper than Mooer, check Donner. They are the exact same pedal, only rebranded.

@Joel

Forgot to add: you also have the Bugera Amps [they are copies of other amps] and their "Infinium" range gets nothing but praise. They are way cheaper than the amps they copy, are all tube, and do the biasing automatically, so if you want to change the valves/tubes to get another sound you can put them there without the need of a tech [and that means less money spent].

Depending on what kind of sound you are invested in, I can chip in my 2 cents on which one to get.

Make music, not war.

@Joel

Forgot to add: you also have the Bugera Amps [they are copies of other amps] and their "Infinium" range gets nothing but praise. They are way cheaper than the amps they copy, are all tube, and do the biasing automatically, so if you want to change the valves/tubes to get another sound you can put them there without the need of a tech [and that means less money spent].

Depending on what kind of sound you are invested in, I can chip in my 2 cents on which one to get.

Make music, not war.
Oh cool man, thanks! I'm looking for a tight sound but also deep, springy and buttery. Hard to explain. I like to hear the flakes rolling around off of the strings like someone is pulling back a telephone power line wire and snapping it forward, low end, like a Frank Bello bass line in Anthrax, but on a guitar. Guttural bass sound but still mid and high end enough not to be mud. Buttery/springy. OK, I'm gonna stop that ***** now, too much info bro. TMI.

I'll look into that amp. Thanks again!

Oh cool man, thanks! I'm looking for a tight sound but also deep, springy and buttery. Hard to explain. I like to hear the flakes rolling around off of the strings like someone is pulling back a telephone power line wire and snapping it forward, low end, like a Frank Bello bass line in Anthrax, but on a guitar. Guttural bass sound but still mid and high end enough not to be mud. Buttery/springy. OK, I'm gonna stop that ***** now, too much info bro. TMI.

I'll look into that amp. Thanks again!
That sounds delightful. You can also use a bass amp for that end [or a mix of bass head with guitar speakers]. I get what you are saying and that's one of the reasons I use the B tuning instead of the regular tuning [deeper, but still clear].

Man, there are so many things you can do it's mind boggling.

But tell you what, I'm actually quite interested in hearing about your findings if you go out to a music store and experiment.

here are a few tips:

- try different baritone guitars [6 strings usually tuned to either B or C; Squire Modified Baritones, Danelectro Baritones, Hagstrom...]
- try 7 and 8 strings guitars [Ibanez and LTD/ESP usually have droves of those]
- ask to play on a bass amp [Galien Kruger if available. They get you a very clean and spanky sound with enough tight clear bass. Try baritones with it as well]

Don't think about the price tag or the brand of the stuff, just play around and I can tell you more affordable ways [and as good] to get the sound.