The Twin Peaks Thread

Tools    

I wouldn't put it exactly like that, but yeh, both are a result of David Lynch's recurring theme of evil hidden beneath pleasant worlds. Blue Velvet was his first exploration in to this idea, and its presented in quite a simplistic but highly effective way, whilst Twin Peaks deals with it on a greater scale with a series of sub plots with each character seemingly hiding something.

My last viewing of Blue Velvet though revealed a few direct references that I didn't notice the first few times I watched it though. Both are logging towns with a few shots of log trucks travelling past, there are similar diners, and some other little things. I also noticed when I watched Eraserhead that the carpet in the main character's room is the same as that in the red room of Twin Peaks
This I was not aware of!

Does anybody think Lynch making Blue Velvet gave him the idea to make Twin Peaks. Blue Velvet reminds me alot of Twin Peaks. Lynch is a crazy genius.
I have always thought of Twin Peaks as an extension of Blue Velvet. Same lead actor, both reveal the rot of evil beneath the idyllic surface of suburbia, both have excellent Badalamenti soundtracks, both have horrific and sexually violent antagonists terrorizing a beautiful woman with dark secrets.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I hope Inland Empire isn't Lynch's final film. I think he should do at least a couple more movies.

Just finished my first ever Twin Peaks re watch, just as good this time round, the final episode is perhaps even more powerful with a haunting, tragic feeling present throughout the final few episodes. The ending is brilliant.

I hope Inland Empire isn't Lynch's final film. I think he should do at least a couple more movies.
And yes, I really hope that he releases a film in my lifetime so that I can see it on release in the cinema, that would be a cracking experience that must be awesome.

^ Daniel M, I agree completely about the final episode being really awesome. It's a dark ending but it definitely stays with you. I mean I would have loved to see maybe a third season, but for what it's worth it's a great finale.

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! Easily the greatest show of all time, and I haven't even watched the last few episodes! The atmosphere and characters are so unique, plus Kyle MacLachlan is perfect as Dale Cooper.

Have to say, my favourite episode is a bit of a cliche; Episode 14, where Laura's killer is finally revealed. That final moment, with all the intercutting shots, distorted pace and cinematography, is amazing, and I still vividly remember the moment I saw it. It was just before I left for school, and I couldn't focus on my work all day, because that scene kept replaying in my mind. Being that I only saw it in 2011, none of the other people at school knew what the **** I was on about.

Brilliant piece of television programming.
Loved the sound of the clicking record player. And the final 30 seconds with the music and the closing shot of Cooper's face and the red curtain. Just... perfect.

Twin Peaks has such incredible music. I have most of the soundtrack on my IPOD and I listen to the songs very frequently. Angelo Badalamenti is a genius.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I'm personally happy the film is starting to get more recognition and acknowledgement amongst even the more casual fans, considering it was met with backlash and largely negative reception upon its release. It's one of my favourites.

The series is sublime television, too, inconsistency and some story absurdities/illogicalities aside.

Unregistered User
I'm personally happy the film is starting to get more recognition and acknowledgement amongst even the more casual fans, considering it was met with backlash and largely negative reception upon its release. It's one of my favourites.

The series is sublime television, too, inconsistency and some story absurdities/illogicalities aside.
Im not the biggest fan of the film but i loved the series, plus the absurdities was one of the reasons i kept watching. Brilliant show.

Im not the biggest fan of the film but i loved the series, plus the absurdities was one of the reasons i kept watching. Brilliant show.
Indeed, the 'Lynchian' absurdity of the show is brilliant, but there were a few subplots and story arcs that were just absurdly bad and cringeworthy, in my opinion. If I recall correctly, all of this seemingly occurred during the period where Lynch left the show to work on Wild at Heart. No coincidence there, I'm sure.

Unregistered User
Indeed, the 'Lynchian' absurdity of the show is brilliant, but there were a few subplots and story arcs that were just absurdly bad and cringeworthy, in my opinion. If I recall correctly, all of this seemingly occurred during the period where Lynch left the show to work on Wild at Heart. No coincidence there, I'm sure.
very true. it left me wondering exactly how great it could have been.

You mean, you didn't love the part where Nadine gained super human strength, went back to school and fell in love with Mike?

Yeah after Laura's Killer was revealed, the show started to decline in quality. There were subplots that went absolutely nowhere, and the show was straining to keep the momentum going. Towards the end though, it got great again. The finale is bloody brilliant.

On a sidenote, is it even possible to watch the series without falling in love with Audrey?

Yeah after Laura's Killer was revealed, the show started to decline in quality. There were subplots that went absolutely nowhere, and the show was straining to keep the momentum going. Towards the end though, it got great again. The finale is bloody brilliant.

On a sidenote, is it even possible to watch the series without falling in love with Audrey?
Yup the last three episodes are brilliant, especially the last. And the answer to the second question? I don't think so

You mean, you didn't love the part where Nadine gained super human strength, went back to school and fell in love with Mike?
Ha, precisely. Also, James' 'motorcycle adventure' was cringe of the highest order.

Indeed. You could tell the show was starting to go a bit astray after the Laura storyline was resolved. It had no idea where it was heading or what it was doing, which isn't particularly too uncommon in television. Finding consistency in the medium is a challenge. Thankfully, all of this was redeemed with its final episodes.

Audrey was a goddess. So seductive. Hottest actress on the show, alongside the alluring Shelly.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Indeed. You could tell the show was starting to go a bit astray after the Laura storyline was resolved. It had no idea where it was heading or what it was doing, which isn't particularly too uncommon in television. Finding consistency in the medium is a challenge. Thankfully, all of this was redeemed with its final episodes.
It had no idea where it was headed, of course, because the network wasn't patient enough to let them get where it was going originally at its own pace. It became too popular for its own good, and thus fell victim to the crowds that thought they knew what they wanted. The issue in TV is that there's a great lack of creative control, which limits a great deal of the offerings. Louis C.K. might have the best deal TV has ever given someone. A low budget ($300,000 per episode) but complete creative control and final cut has given birth to the best and most daring comedy on television. If only FX would make a deal with Lynch.

I would love to watch this, but I don't watch shows or series. Should I make an exception? Also, I think I already know the ending. Some people have already spoiled it for me. Would that ruin the experience?

I would love to watch this, but I don't watch shows or series. Should I make an exception? Also, I think I already know the ending. Some people have already spoiled it for me. Would that ruin the experience?
You don't watch shows? You're missing out on so much good stuff man. But yes, you should make an exception, it's David Lynch whose primarily a film director and Twin Peaks is possible better than any movie I have ever seen.

And no you should still watch it, not sure what they spoiled, but there's lots of twists, turns, and things to love about the show. First season is only like 7 episodes, so can always watch them and see if you like it. Hell, just watch the first three and you'll have a pretty good idea, I think it's at the end of the third where we start to go more crazy/Lynch style.