MoFo Fantasy Baseball '11 - The Regular Season

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Rickie was money for me last year, I'll be more than happy to take him off your hands.
That's the only year he hasn't busted out with an injury. This year will determine if that was a fluke or not.... And no, I'm not trading him.

I wonder how long Berkman has to play right field before he becomes OF eligible? Hopefully not too long, I like having a guy like that that I can bounce around, even if he is a health risk.
Players gain eligibility at new positions after either 5 starts or 10 total appearances at the new position.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
Yep 6 months is a long fantasy season. I just gotta get used to checking my roster every morning again.
I know the feeling! I was all giddy for opening day yesterday, the games start and i of course neglected to set my lineup. In my defense, I only had like 3 weeks or so to get it in, who really can get it done in that time?

But you can bet I made sure to check it first thing at work this morning, I do so love the first 10 mins of work.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Adam is getten it Dunn

2-4, HR, 4 RBI

alas this is the only bright spot. The ebb and flow of the Baseball will take some getting used to thats for sure.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Texas-Boston game isn't over, but I've always disliked the rule where a pitcher comes in protecting a lead, and then gives up a run to tie it before retiring the side. Then his team (in this case) scores at least four runs and the bum pitcher collects the win. Is this still the rule or is this one of those newfangled interpretations where they may give the win to a later pitcher? I'm asking because in such a case, I still believe the starter who left the game with the lead deserves the win. And yes, it's just a coincidence that my guy is THAT starter.

I believe it still goes to the pitcher who was last on the mound when the team takes the lead. Unless they pinch hit for him, he's still considered to be "the pitcher" while the team is batting until a new guy comes out afterwards. It certainly can lead to some silly wins, but I can't really come up with any set of stipulations that wouldn't.

That said, I think wins are one of the only issues of scoring (outside of award errors, of course) that have in them the potential for subjectivity; there's a stipulation that, with multiple relievers, the scorer can award the win to whoever they think was most "effective."

And so begins six months of reading blogs, blurbs and scouting reports. All that is almost more fun than watching the games. Almost.

Wow this fantasy baseballs like pre-algebra all over again.

Hey PW! Right now my team has 9 and you have 0...is that good?

I'm not at all familiar with the WHIP stat. I get that the lower is better, but what is considered reasonably good?

If you're lucky enough to average between 1.50 and 2.00 you'll be in the running to win that category most weeks. Anything under 1.00 is pretty much dynamite.

Yeah, it's Walks + Hits divided by Innings Pitched. Basically, in a nutshell, it's the ratio of baserunners allowed to innings, so a 1.20 whip allows an average of 1.2 baserunners per inning. So it penalizes a guy who maybe allows the bases to be loaded, even if he gets out of it without giving up any runs.

And yeah, around or under 1.00 is very good for a starter. But like ERA, the top relievers are usually a bit better, since they throw fewer innings.

League average WHIP in Major League Baseball last year was somewhere around 1.35, I believe.

Hehe. Yeah, he's the bane of a lot of statheads because he was a pretty good pitcher who pitched some incredible games on a very big stage, which has created a huge disparity between the diehard statheads and other baseball fans as to how good he was.

There's no faster way to get those two groups of people to disagree than to have an above-average player throw a hugely memorable game in the playoffs or World Series.

Jack was more than a pretty good pitcher. He was arguably the best of a decade (80's)

that he had enough left in the tank to do what he did for minny in 91. and to a lesser extent the Jays in 92' is remarkable.

As in anything in team sports though, I get a lil uncomfortable with annointing individual players as best this or best that, as they attain their numbers through teh players around them.

One of the reasons Morris was able to get out of so many jams while in Detroit was, a ton of infield hits were snapped up by Alan Trammel or Lou whitaker.

Run support helps a wee bit as well. When he played for the Jays that one year, the bats came alive in ways that surely made Dave Steib weep.

I'm getting creamed in my first week, and have turned to..I cannot believe i am typing this out..The Pirates of Pittsburgh.

preseason i'd have thought jack sparrow had a better chance of taking the mound for my team.