The MoFo Support Group

Tools    

I would still like to try and earn a bit of money obviously and just wondered if there are any people on here that earn money from home and in what ways they do so. Looking around the options available are not exactly plentiful. The type of things that initially jump out as being possibles are things like data entry and audio transcribing. Does anyone have any experience with those type of things or anything else?

I wasn't sure if this was really the place to put this, and it seems rather trivial compared to people talking about losing loved ones and serious health issues etc.
Also, I forgot to mention... if you have any specific talents, fiverr.com is a cool site/concept. I've never used it, but it seems like you can make money doing pretty much anything you might be good at.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
The dogs thing is interesting. There's dog walking (especially for busy working people or the elderly) and there's dog-sitting which is often combined with house sitting for people with pets who travel.
The one thing I really liked the idea of a while back was dog boarding where you take in a dog for people who are going out of town/on holiday/into hospital etc. I was very interseted in it after my previous dog passed away because not having a dog about just felt completely wrong. However now that I have another dog there's always a concern that any dog I agree to board wouldn't get on with him

Kennel maid? I had a weekend job with a vet when I was a kid doing this. Quiet mornings feeding dogs and cats, cleaning kennel runs, letting them out for play time which is great because you get to play with them, bathing/grooming, sometimes assisting the vets. Other than the other staff, no human involvement. You could check out vet clinics, boarding kennels, breeders and dog/cat/chicken exhibitors.
Yeah I'd thought about something like that before. Honestly, spending all the time with dogs and barely any people sounds like heaven to me. Will perhaps have a look at what kennels and the like are nearby.

Also, I forgot to mention... if you have any specific talents, fiverr.com is a cool site/concept. I've never used it, but it seems like you can make money doing pretty much anything you might be good at.
Yeah I've heard of fiverr but not really sure what I could offer. I don't suppose people ever need movie reviews written?

Survey sites can work, but can also be incredibly frustrating. I'd recommend Amazon's mturk if you're looking to do them. It's mostly pennies, but people can make serious money on there, and Amazon keeps tabs on surveyors so you typically won't get the sh*tty ones (like other sites). Some people even make a living doing this stuff when used in conjunction with other sites, buuuuut it normally takes years of building up hits (1000 to 5000 on mturk) to get the lucrative stuff. Still, if you plug away a little day by day, you might thank yourself a couple of years from now.

If you do go with mturk, I highly recommend youtubing the hell out of it before taking surveys (you don't want to screw up your accepted/rejected hit ratio early on or it'll eliminate a lot of opportunities). Reddit is a great resource too, especially the r/hitsworthturkingfor, r/beermoney, and r/mturk subreddits. Also, use the Turkopticon plugin to easily identify the good surveyors from the bad.

Other popular sites like swagbucks, mintvine, etc. usually have the frustrating surveyors that disqualify you after like 20 minutes. But, some people find a way with them.

BTW, speaking from experience, audio transcription suuuuucks. It took me almost an hour to do 5 mins once. If you can get good at it, it does pay better than surveys.

The most legit home job might be answering phone calls. I hate talking on the phone though, so I've never tried it.
Thanks for all the info and advice, will have a look into all of it.

Yeah swagbucks was the site I signed up for a while back when I initially looked at surveys but found it very frustrating.

And yeah audio transcription seems a good deal more tricky and time-consuming than I'd presumed. I've been trying to join TranscribeMe but so far struggling to pass the initiation tests; there are so many different rules to try and remember and get your head around.

And yeah making/answering phone calls is amongst the most obvious options but really not for me with my social anxieties. As much as I can be uncomfortable conversing with people in person, on the phone is even worse for me so that's out.

@JayDee - be cautious with on-line work from home offers. I'm sure some are legit, but a couple years back I got involved with one that was a re-mailing scheme (which, I found out, is illegal). The job advertised said I'd be testing merchandize, but then when the first items arrived (some expensive smart phones) I didn't know what to do and my contact at the company instructed me to just FedEx them to another address. This kind of scheme is done because the merchandise is usually stolen, so this makes it difficult to track, but if somebody gets caught, they can use the re-mailer as a patsy.

The job ad and application all seemed legit, but then when my new contact got in touch he could barely type a legible sentence - first red flag.

I did mail the first package (still not knowing what I'd gotten into) but never got paid. I reported the company to the USPS for mail fraud.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I don't know where you are but if you're interested in dog walking check with your council if you need insurance which is required where u live and Max number of dogs. Here it's 3

I don't usually share my personal problems here, but this one's a doozy.

Yesterday my landlords served me with notice - of eviction. They intend to tear down the little house I rent, and build a big one for their daughter. I found this house almost 9 years ago and it was perfect, a real blessing - of course then I had a job.

The landlords are giving me only 2 months to move. The house is packed with 9 years accumulation of furniture & stuff, I have no where to move to, and I have no where to put a housefull of stuff. I anticipate I will have to pay to put it all into storage and pay to have it all moved.

I might as well come clean - I've been unemployed for many years because I've been helping take care of my parents who have both been ill. My dad passed away two months ago.

I told the landlords what a bad time this is: how my dad just died, my mom's sick and can't walk, we're trying to get all the finances in order, I've got a mentally ill brother, I've been a perfect tenant who's done almost all the work and upkeep on the house myself, and I asked if there was any way to extend the time - they basically responded that that's sad, but too bad (for me) because, even though they own several houses, they are giving this lot to their daughter.

I've paid my rent over the years via savings and cashing in stocks intended for retirement. My parents paid me often for my help (even though I never asked them to), but now my mom, who is 85, is struggling financially as my dad's pension & social security for her has been cut in half.

I've worked odd jobs mostly for the elderly wherever or whenever I can find them that wouldn't conflict with providing health aid to my folks. My price as a contractor is whatever my customers can afford that sounds reasonable to them - sometimes that's just work for food. But physical work has become more difficult as certain conditions have been increasing - like arthritis. I neglected my health for the last few years while taking care of my dad, but the irony was that, now that he's passed, I finally went to a doctor - I was going to go to the dentist, get new eyeglasses and even more ironically: paint the house's porch, railings, it's foundation and work on the gardens - all moot at this point.

Conceivably, the landlords could evict me on May 1st. That's when the lease is up. Basically, they gave me 20 days notice before they could legally just kick me out. My little house, warm bed and books (along with my computer and this site) was my asylum at the end of long days to escape to.

Now, life as I know it is about to end because having no job and no income means no one would rent to me, nor could I afford anything being in such a state. I don't know what to do.

I know nothing about storage and the last time I moved it almost destroyed me physically & emotionally (and I was 9 years younger, healthier and wealthier then). I have no family with room and no real friends with space. I know nothing about homeless shelters or where they are, and the thought that I might end up in one makes me ill.

My main reason for writing this (in addition to venting my devastating fear) is to give a preemptive farewell since I may not be on this site (or any site or any computer) in a couple months.

I have a couple of questions that you can answer if you like, but don't feel obliged!

Isn't there a way to sell some of the stuff you're now storing in the basement and attic? Is your mother living with you? Can't you rent something very small for the time being (a room somewhere for instance) or is it really that hard for someone who's unemployed to rent something where you live?

I wish you a lot of strength, Captain. Don't give up the will to fight!

So sorry Captain, that's really rough. I can't offer anything as i've not had to deal with anything like that other than my wishes that everything works out.

Bloody hell that's rough. So sorry mate.

That sounds terrible dude. Hope you figure stuff out. Sorry I have no advice to offer.

I have a couple of questions that you can answer if you like, but don't feel obliged!

Isn't there a way to sell some of the stuff you're now storing in the basement and attic? Is your mother living with you? Can't you rent something very small for the time being (a room somewhere for instance) or is it really that hard for someone who's unemployed to rent something where you live?

I wish you a lot of strength, Captain. Don't give up the will to fight!
Thanks, Cob. I plan to do eBay like a full time job till the end of the month (but just books and smalls - people who sell on eBay know that the shipping costs on large, non-valuable items isn't worth the expense or hassle, and I don't really have anything valuable.)

My mom lives in a house with my brother - they really don't have room - but I anticipate I'll end up in my dad's room. I didn't have the heart to tell them the news today as my mom's been freaking about the finances and how they have no room for anything (talk about irony) - and I dread my brother's freak out since he's bi-polar where even the simplest of life's problems (and I mean things like the batteries in a clock going dead) are end-of-the-world catastrophes worthy of an out of control suicidal spiral. I'm really letting all the skeletons out of the closet tonight.

Unemployment has been my downfall - no one will rent to, sell a car to or hire the long-term unemployed (and that's defined as 6 months or more, no less years!) The last time I went for a job interview I explained to the interviewer that I was unemployed because I took care of my parents - he seemed to scoff and asked why I don't "just" put them in a home or hire them a nurse. I had to explain to him (as if he was mentally challenged) that I was there to apply for a job because I was unemployed and had no income - which meant I couldn't afford things like a home or a nurse. (I really didn't like his attitude!) And things like nursing homes and full time nurses can break the banks of even the wealthiest of people.

Anyway, I don't mean to lay this on you guys, just need to dissipate some of my fear of the future. It still hasn't sunk in as I sit here comfortably at my desk in front of my computer enjoying the serenity of my surroundings - so I don't feel too panicked as none of it seems real.

Thanks. Any suggestions (no matter how wild), thoughts, questions, comments, criticisms, critiques are welcome.

Anyway, I don't mean to lay this on you guys, just need to dissipate some of my fear of the future. It still hasn't sunk in as I sit here comfortably at my desk in front of my computer enjoying the serenity of my surroundings - so I don't feel too panicked as none of it seems real.

Thanks. Any suggestions (no matter how wild), thoughts, questions, comments, criticisms, critiques are welcome.
Hey it's not about laying it on us, if I can speak as a newby. It's what the thread is for. I totally understand that you're afraid. Hugs, man.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@Captain Steel, I'm so sorry about what you're going through. Hopefully it will all work out for you soon.

Maybe you can try just getting an entry level job somewhere? Even if it's below what you want, it should be easier to get because they usually don't require any experience, and sometimes have opportunities for advancement.

Try looking for something simple like a cashier in the supermarket or the mall, or even someplace like Walmart. I know it's not what you want to do, but at least it will bring in some money until something better comes along.

This is such a crappy predicament Captain. I would recommend a couple things that I'm normally not in favor of, but I think would be understandable in your situations. First, look up what legal options you have in your state. In some states, it can be very difficult to throw someone out. Make them get some type of court order if it comes down to it. Also, look into some form of disability or public assistance.

Tough situation, Captain. I'm not sure what advice I have, I can only say what I think I'd do in that situation, which is: I'd try to get a job, basically any job, as soon as I could. If that meant something lower than I was qualified for, so be it. First thing's just to try to stabilize the situation and get your bearings again.

God Bless man. Try not to get overwhelmed with it all. One problem at a time and just keep going.

That's horrible news for you CS. I can't give you any advice as legislation is different in the UK. In the UK you'd be able to get a care allowance if you're looking after an elderly relative and they live with you, or a tax credit if you're able to work part time, is there anything like that in the US?

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
@Captain Steel

that's beyond a horrible situation - i can't even imagine.

my one suggestion would be, could you at least talk to your crap landlords about helping you get situated in a new place? if you really have been such a model tenant, and good on the upkeep for the past nine years, i feel like it's not asking much for them to either help you find another place to live with one of their other properties, or help you find one with their 'connections' (lol is that weird to say? idk i feel like property managers would know other property managers)

i know how hard it is to find a place to live. i had a helluva time with it when i got married (long story - won't bore you wit details). anyway, that's what i would do. i would hardcore be on their ass every day telling them exactly your circumstance, that because you've been taking care of your mum and you haven't been working, it's going to be next to impossible to find a place to live because every landlord wants a 'model tenant' with a stable income and a sparking credit history etc.

i guess i feel like your one ace in the hole is your record as a good tenant - that's what i'd be using right about now. i know that they might not care (i've dealt with that too), but if they aren't complete monsters and they realize they might make you homeless, they could help you out. it'd behoove them to do so, anyway. it'll make the whole transition easier for you both.

good luck

I may not respond to all, but I am taking all suggestions to heart. Just hearing each one makes me feel a little better. Hopefully they can all amalgamate into a plan of action. Thank you all.
Now I have to go take my mom to the doctors for another round of shots in her knees.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Damn. I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles Cap, that's some heavy ***** you're having to deal with. I appreciate the advice you gave to me in here recently and wish I could reciprocate but I can't really think of anything to offer at the moment, not beyond what the likes of Ash and Cob have already said.

@Captain Steel, I just read this thread. Capt you're a good friend and a good person...and I'm so sorry to hear about this happening to you. I can't even image how stressful this must be. I wish I could say something to cheer you up bud, you can PM anytime.