The Videogames Tab

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I've been wanting to hear your thoughts on this (and Daganaropa).

I thought this game was going to be like A Thief's End, in that all the technical aspects would garner high praise. Then I played it and was like, it's okay.

But I'm turning into a vg malcontent anyways . That upcoming Disney skinned MegaMan clone 8-bit collection may turn the tides.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I seem to spend more time imagining how to improve games than actually playing them...

Gallery of images designed to encourage/terrify Elite devs

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've been wanting to hear your thoughts on this (and Daganaropa).

I thought this game was going to be like A Thief's End, in that all the technical aspects would garner high praise. Then I played it and was like, it's okay.

But I'm turning into a vg malcontent anyways . That upcoming Disney skinned MegaMan clone 8-bit collection may turn the tides.
It's shaping up to be the best Far Cry style game I've played - Did a bit more tonight and upgraded my weapons - but that's damning the game with faint praise as I've never particularly liked open world stealthy crafty base capturing games.

Hang on .... Metal Gear Solid V is an open world stealthy crafty base capture-y game and it's rad AF!

Horizon Zero Dawn is the second best one of those.

Future Tab! The future is fighty-fighty-kill-kill. May involve death...

---

Absolver is growing on me again...

Might help that they've got it looking prettier, but I think it's more the: Bots / PvP / PvE spread of options, the idea of learning moves when you encounter them (and sure the whole 'chain your stances and combos how you want' thing), and the classic clothing & weapon weight choices. Something of the Soulsian in those last bits and the lack of health regen. Plus it's just very very French.

---

And yes, Mirage, yes, damn you. Yes, despite all the pulpy viscera, you've reminded me how good the Chivalry moveset was, how ludicrous the modes, and how very silly the silliness. One more tick in the 'maybe you deranged monster, maybe' box...

PS, Chivarly seems to be free on Steam today and tomorrow, in case you want to impersonate Brian Blessed.

Aww well I went and bought into Mirage. Beta access sealed the deal. Tis pretty . The soundboard is suitably daft. And the old Chivalry hands are chopping everyone else's hands off

The magic is handy in a 'support' sense, and keeps things a bit more mobile. Modes on offer are all kinda standard capture the point / flag so far, but with some neat little ledges and routes for surprise arrivals. (EDIT: And the odd multi-stage one that turns into a seige scenario )

Reckon I'll mess around a bit more then skulk off til the noob zones emerge at launch

I just noticed that my Xbox gamerscore is 55,565. I would've been amused to see it 10g ago, but the last achievement I got was worth 20 anyway, so I don't think it would've fallen exactly on 55,555.

@Golgot I've never heard of Mirage, but that screenshot looks really pretty.

@Golgot I've never heard of Mirage, but that screenshot looks really pretty.
It has got a lovely art style.

5 minutes later my body was lying prettily in some bushes tho

(It's a fairly uncompromising team seige-meets-melee fighty game, most famed for having the word 'SORRY' shouted across the battlefield every minute or so. Coz team damage is very much on )

Good news! There is a healer role in Mirage . He flies a magic carpet and can spin his cunning staff from afar. Now I can go full support role

Bad news! A man called Buttgraper cut my head off. This is hard to heal...

So I guess I'm the only one that has a Switch...

No one to talk to about Switch stuff!

No one to talk about Zelda you mean?

Don't worry. Mr. Green wants one. He'll be able to one day.

Those Persona reviews are nothing short of glowing. Then again, video game journalists.

I'm still really enjoying Andromeda, but I'm kind of irritated because at least 2 achievements failed to unlock for me (the two I know for sure were both Loyalty missions). I've gotten achievements since then (including one other Loyalty mission), so it's really strange.

NieR: Automata is proving to be very good.

The first NieR game had great characters and world but was clunky and dated to play. In the hands of Platinum, Automata has gameplay coming out of its robot tushie. And then some.

It's as much a twin stick arcade shooter as it is a melee-based action game and the art style is downright gorgeous. With the central character being a cute female battle android with existential angst, I'm having a bit of a Xenosaga flashback, and that's never a bad thing.

NieR: Automata is proving to be very good.

The demo seemed really tight, looked great and the score is impressive. What turned me off was how samey (?) it felt. Clear an arena, go to next arena of same enemies, repeat...

I've got a code for superfluous flim-flam, if you want it.

The demo seemed really tight, looked great and the score is impressive. What turned me off was how samey (?) it felt. Clear an arena, go to next arena of same enemies, repeat...

I've got a code for superfluous flim-flam, if you want it.
I got 5 or 6 pieces of pre-order DLC with the game, so I bet I already have it.

I know some people are saying that Automata isn't as focused as Platinum's best efforts but I've not played enough of the game to confirm or deny yet.

RIP MadCatz, by the way.

Purveyors of tacky 3rd party gamepads and (weirdly) fantastic arcade fight sticks.
And saviors of many a juvenile weekend when pennies were pooled and a ride was begged and fights ensued on who was gonna use it.

Hmm, so uber-realistic mud and crotch-rot simulator Kingdom Come Deliverance (No Colon) has clanked into Beta...

It's intriguing, although I can't tell if it's actually a hair shirt simulator or not. No sexy magic, properly pitch black nights, sword thwacks to the precise solar plexus. Yet at the same time, it's got pretty maps, and it seems no icon chasing, more detective work, which appeals in some ways.

For now though, I love how the Beta deals with map limits. Modern metal railings. That is so cold. (Totally works though. You can practically see the guy turning his horse away to save his immersion )

That said the lip sync is... the lip sync... I dunno maybe the guy has the plague and I'm being judgemental :/. Or he's eaten a really nasty fish spleen. Not sure.