The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
That's sad. There should've been at least one classic Disney in the top 250.
Fantasia placed higher than Lion King, but not by much.

Suspect's Reviews

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I remember seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theater with my mother, and after the movie we were talking about how exciting it was, with all of the action, adventure, and one cliffhanger after another throughout the movie. Then she told me about how it reminded her of the old movie serials that she used to see when she was younger. I had never heard of anything like that before, but it made me wish that we still had those movie serials. I guess movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark are the closest that we'll ever come to that kind of excitement.

I have since seen the movie well over a hundred times, and it was a lock on my list since the day this list was announced. It was #20 on my list, but it might have been higher if it didn't have that scene with the spiders in it.

My list so far:
2) E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
3) 12 Angry Men (1957)
7) West Side Story (1961)
10) The Wizard of Oz (1939)
19) North by Northwest (1959)
20) Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
25) Sunday in New York (1963) (My 1-pointer)

Speaking of those old serials and the roots/influences of the character, I strongly encourage everyone to check out the transcript of the Raiders story conference. It's really fascinating stuff, listening to Lucas and Spielberg talk through it. And maybe even more fascinating (particularly to those who are used to thinking of Lucas in terms of the prequels) how much Lucas is the clear creative force behind the character. Listening to his descriptions, you can see he's basically fully formed already, and what he describes initially is so very close to what ends up in the film:

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I remember when Raiders of the Lost Ark came out, I had already seen it at least twice and I took a chance and took my parents to see it. I wanted to kind of pay them back for all the years they took me to the movies, even ones a kid like me probably shouldn't have seen at my age, like Serpico and Death Wish, but then again there weren't many shows that talked about ratings or how rough the movies were back in the 70s. There were newspaper reviews but my parents rarely read the entertainment section. But, I digress. I talked them into seeing Jaws and Star Wars, hoping they would like them as much as I did but they didn't care for either. So I just knew they'd love RotLA. And I took them in my own car as I was old enough by this time to have been driving for many years. And to my delight, they loved it! So, even haven seen it twice before, seeing it with my now-gone parents was an experience I treasure, which pushed it up even further on my list for all-time. Sometimes its the event of going and who you were with that make the movie even more fun or memorable, even when the movie is good to begin with.

I have a hard time defining what an adventure film exactly is but Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress eats any Spielberg alive.
The Hidden Fortress is great (as are most of Kurosawa's films), but I don't think it tops Raiders of the Lost Ark, personally.

For what it's worth, Throne of Blood is my favorite of his films (though I haven't seen Seven Samurai yet, so that may change once I get to it).

That's sad. There should've been at least one classic Disney in the top 250.
Circle of life, ya know?

Raiders of the Lost Ark
it made my list, no. 6. Saw it opening weekend. Had to be dragged to the theater because I did not want to see it, at all. As soon as Indy finds his "poor soul" impaled by a spears for walking into the light I was all in. And it just got better from there. For me, it's the perfect adventure film. As with most of my favorite movies I have a hard time explaining why I like them. If the story is good, has good characters and I'm having a good time watching it, I'm usually not thinking about anything except how awesome the movie. One of my favorite movie going experiences ever.

The hurdle classic animation era Disney movies has to clear in making polls like these is that there aren't any consensus one or two titles that are definitive representatives. There are so very many and everybody likes what they like. If you are throwing your vote to the most historically significant it is probably Snow White or Fantasia, but when you dilute that support with the love for Pinocchio, Bambi, Cinderella, Dumbo, Sleeping Beauty, Alice in Wonderland and on and on there isn't going to be any one title that gets six or ten or fifteen votes. Then when you add the more modern non-Pixars into the mix, again support is spread too evenly among The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, etc. and they still have to contend with the titles from the '30s through '70s.

And that's why we did an animation list.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
This countdown's great, it reminds you to watch films that you had all but forgotten about, I just watched Raiders of the Lost Ark again on Prime and it's such a treat, deserving of it's place in the top 10.

I also caught Suspiria for the first time ever a couple of days ago, it's such a perfect contained little horror movie, and I simply love the two main theme's that play continuously through the film. It's up there with the likes of Halloween. Gonna have to look up Agrento's other stuff.

Alien is next on the list, don't think I've watched it since the 2000's.

Going to try and make my way through the countdown, both the films I've never seen and those that I haven't watched for ages.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

The hurdle classic animation era Disney movies has to clear in making polls like these is that there aren't any consensus one or two titles that are definitive representatives. There are so very many and everybody likes what they like. If you are throwing your vote to the most historically significant it is probably Snow White or Fantasia, but when you dilute that support with the love for Pinocchio, Bambi, Cinderella, Dumbo, Sleeping Beauty, Alice in Wonderland and on and on there isn't going to be any one title that gets six or ten or fifteen votes. Then when you add the more modern non-Pixars into the mix, again support is spread too evenly among The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, etc. and they still have to contend with the titles from the '30s through '70s.

And that's why we did an animation list.
Hopefully we can do another one in like 5 years. I feel like it would be pretty different!

Yeah, when you bundle almost 100 films together, it's obvious that the vote is going to spread all around. My favorite is Aladdin, and even I had it barely missing my Top 100.

Anyway, I need to rewatch Fantasia. I'm pretty sure I saw it back when I was a kid, but don't remember it at all. Not sure if the kids would be up for it, though.

• 343 points
  • 20 lists
7. Blade Runner

Director

Ridley Scott, 1982

Starring

Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos

Fun Fact

As mentioned yesterday, Blade Runner is the final film on the list not to be first on any ballots. It's also second on just one. But it was #5 on five ballots, accounting for almost a third of its score.

And note the 30-point jump between 8th and 7th, the largest on the list so far.

Blade Runner was my number 1 years ago, but now it's dropped down to 62. It's still an awesome movie, but the soundtrack is in my top ten albums. Seriously, Vangelis is ****ing incredible. His 1492 soundtrack is also in my top 100.

Blade Runner has grown on me over a few watches. Not a favorite though, and not top 10 material for me. Shhh, jury still out but I think maybe 2049 is better.

Love Blade Runner, was my #1 for the Sci-Fi countdown so naturally I'm delighted to see it place this high.

Seen: 84/94 (Own: 44/94)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
6. The General (1926)

I love Blade Runner, but it barely missed my Top 100. It's always been a slow burn for me, ever since I first saw it decades ago, but it's a film that the more I see it, the more nuances I get in the script and the performances, and the more I love. Here's something I wrote about it the last time I rewatched it.