30's Recommendations

Tools    

I highly recommend John Ford's early movies from the 30's, and actually I like them a lot more than his later films. The Hurricane in particular is a fave

Lets not turn this into a list thread coz those are the worst. Let's just talk about the 30's here in anticipation of the Countdown...

Hope everyone takes part here without me curating a list no one reads anyway!
Glad to see you made this thread and even happier that it's not going to be just a huge list of movies, discussion is far better and I was hoping if people have 30s films that they believe in, then they would pimp em and talk them up and let everyone know just why these are worth watching. And so far it looks like people are doing just that

The Lady Vanishes
Solid early Hitchcock
Hitch has done well on the 40s and 50s countdown, I wonder if any of his 30s films will make it? The Lady Vanishes is one of his better ones from the 30s.

Aforementioned -
Mad Love (1935)
The Black Cat (1934)
Island of lost Souls (1932)
The Invisible Man (1933)
Things to Come (1936)
The Vampire Bat (1933)
Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)
Mark of the Vampire (1935)
M (1931)
The Son of Kong (1933)

Which isn't including Frankenstein, Dracula...
That's a strong list of early 30s horror. Also JJ mentioned This Old Dark House, another great. I'd include my two favorite horrors:
The Devil Doll (1936)
White Zombie (1932)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
What I like about those is, there mostly psychological and intelligent done too and all have a unique story element, that sets them apart from.

Duck Soup (1933) and Gone With The Wind (1939) are the best recommendations which I can make from that decade.
The Marx brothers had several big hits in the 30s and unlike other comedians of the time, I think their brawdy style of humor can still work.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here I recommend and discuss two of my fave underseen gems of the 30s. The reviews are safe to read, as usual.
The Bitter Tea of General Yen (Frank Capra, 1933)

Exotic, unique, one-of-a-kind film by Capra still deserves to be seen, enjoyed and debated. Although Capra had already made 20 feature films in the seven years prior to this film, this is the the greatest example of his filmmaking technique up to this point. On display are his expert use of montage, special effects, crowd scenes, florid cinematography, musical score and sound design, handling of actors, humor, cinematic storytelling, and yes, sentimentality. This film contains more actual "action" scenes that any other Capra flick, but when you come right down to it, it may also contain more "sex" scenes, even though the story is one of a "taboo" love.

The film shows an Americanized version of the events occuring in China in the early 1930s. The film says that there is a Civil War going on in the middle of the West trying to indoctrinate the land with Christian missionaries. The suggestion of a war with Japan is never mentioned. Additionally, General Yen (a terrific character) is portrayed by Danish actor Nils Asther (in easily his greatest performance), but nowadays some people have a problem with a White portraying an Asian. Before you jump on the racist bandwagon, make sure to watch the film and compare all the performances to what you might expect if a Chinese actor were cast in the title role. Hawaiian-born Chinese actor Richard Loo does have a prominent role in the film, but he plays the general's military second-in-command.

Even with all of Capra's cinematic talent and Asther's super performance, the film belongs to Barbara Stanwyck as the American missionary who's forced to undergo a transformation due to her experiences in China, and she's extremely sexy. Capra's longtime co-star Walter Connelly also turns in a wonderfully-jaded performance as General Yen's American Secretary of the Treasury. I think I've already spent too much time discussing this underseen film, so my recommendation is to seek it out. No matter what you think of it, it should be incomparable to anything else you've ever seen, and it has historical and cinematic significance.
The Young in Heart (dir: Richard Wallace; scr: Paul Osborn, pro: David O. Selznick, 1938)

This is a very modest, mostly-unknown film which also happens to be one of the most-perfectly constructed movies I've ever seen. It's a comedy about a family of con artists who get kicked off an ocean liner and thwarted from marrying into a millionaire's family, but somehow luckily, they immediately come across a lonely old rich woman, "Miss Fortune" (Minnie Dupree) who takes them to her heart aboard a train. This suits the family fine since they've never earned an honest living in their life, and they see a chance to engender themselves to the old woman so much that they might just make off with her inheritance when she dies. The family consists of "Sahib" (Roland Young in probably my fave performance of his), his absent-minded wife Marmy (Billie Burke, the Good Witch from The Wizard of Oz and Young's wife in the Topper films), their daughter George-Ann (Janet Gaynor) who's being courted by young Scotsman Duncan (Richard Carlson), and their son Richard (Douglas Fairbanks Jr.). Once the family gets to England and moves in with Miss Fortune, they begin to see things a little bit differently than they have in the past. Although they're still counting on supporting themselves with the old lady's "fortune", Sahib becomes a crackerjack salesman and Richard goes to work for the first time in his life to impress his American "boss" (Paulette Goddard).

The Young in Heart is a wonderful combo of hard-boiled cynicism and uplifting sentiment. It's rare to find a movie with so many bald-faced, common-sense emotions on its sleeves, especially concerning a group of cold-hearted takers confronted by one warm-hearted giver. Every time I watch the film (as I did tonight on TCM), I find myself with an enormous smile planted on my face for the entire 91 minutes, but it's occasionally broken by my smile cracking open loudly into hearty laughter or my tear ducts going into overdrive at the simple honesty of how good life can be if families and friends just found a way to "let it be". This film is crammed with so many memorable and original moments: the Flying Wombat, the penguins at the London Zoo, looking for the dog with the black eyebrow, Duncan completely hating George-Ann and her family but finding himself more attracted to her with each moment, the train wreck, Miss Fortune's lawyer (the awesome Henry Stephenson), Richard's hangover, Sahib "getting his head handed to him by his boss" (HA!), and many others. The cast is uniformly excellent, but the film would never work without the wonderful Minnie Dupree, who only made three other films. If you ever get a chance, watch this beautiful film, and remember to tell me what you think of it, even if you think I'm crazy! Thanks for reading.

WOW! Edit: Some automobile historian posted scenes from The Young in Heart because the awesome "Flying Wombat" was really the Phantom Corsair, which said historian says cost $24,000 to produce in 1938 ($400,000 in today's dollars!!)

Check the actual link at YouTube
to read what he said. Make sure you go to the right column, under the "Added: June 23, 2008" words and click on (more info) to learn more.

I love this movie!

Hitch has done well on the 40s and 50s countdown, I wonder if any of his 30s films will make it? The Lady Vanishes is one of his better ones from the 30s.
Well, I certainly hope so. In addition to The Lady Vanishes, strong ones are The 39 Steps, and The Man Who Knew Too Much. (Honorable mention: The Secret Agent, and Sabotage)

~Doc

Anyone know some solid 30s flicks on Netflix or Prime Instant Video? All the online lists are dated

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Netflix - Nothing
U.S. Amazon Prime - GWTW, The Wizard of Oz, My Man Godfrey (original [recommended] & colorized), The Little Princess (colorized), A Farewell to Arms. Judge Priest
U.K. Amazon Prime - Too difficult for me to determine.

Ah... the decade of Warner Oland's Charlie Chan!

Unregistered User
Aforementioned -
Mad Love (1935)

also..
The Black Cat (1934)
Island of lost Souls (1932)
The Invisible Man (1933)
Things to Come (1936)
The Vampire Bat (1933)
Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)
Mark of the Vampire (1935)
M (1931)
The Son of Kong (1933)

Which isn't including Frankenstein, Dracula, and Hitchcock (Jamaica Inn, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and The Lady Vanishes)

That's great Siddon, much appreciated. I've only seen The Invisible Man and M of the ones you mentioned.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
The Marx brothers had several big hits in the 30s and unlike other comedians of the time, I think their brawdy style of humor can still work.
Did you see Brain Donors, which was based on A Night at the Opera...that alone was proof that it still worked. They don't make them like they used to anymore.

Did you see Brain Donors, which was based on A Night at the Opera...that alone was proof that it still worked. They don't make them like they used to anymore.
Nope I've not seen Brain Donors, it must be funny, it's a 7.1 rating at IMDB. Who knew the Marx Brothers material was so good! (I did)

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Nope I've not seen Brain Donors, it must be funny, it's a 7.1 rating at IMDB. Who knew the Marx Brothers material was so good! (I did)
Oh it is...John Turturro was like Groucho, Mel Smith was Chico, and Bob Nelson was basically Harpo. It was virtually the same as Night at the Opera, but it could have been called Night at the Ballet. I thought it was hilarious.

The last two 30's films i watched are worth a watch. Gold Diggers of 1933 was incredible and i'm not a Musical fan at all. One of the main reasons i took to it so much is the singing all makes sense the characters are putting on a musical so there's no random bursting into song, the only singing outside that is when they are practising. Plus only like a third or less of the film is a musical, there's a brief musical scene at the start, one 30 mins in and the last 15 mins or so is a musical sequence (which is incredible) and even that is interrupted to wrap up the drama. When it's not a musical it's a weird screwball comedy and a social commentary on the depression, it's awesome and i think other non-musical fans may be into it.

The other one is Let's Go With Pancho Villa, i was held back from fully enjoying that because the copy i had at least had audio issues but it was good and very interesting.

I'd also suggest those not into Ozu's later slow, more serious drama's should check out I Was Born But.... It's really funny and adorable, and i found it as powerful as his others although that was at least partly for personal reasons. It's silent though if you're not willing to watch those plus it's not as beautiful as his later stuff.

That's great Siddon, much appreciated. I've only seen The Invisible Man and M of the ones you mentioned.
Guessing you were speaking more Horror there but keep I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang in mind, that's probably the darkest 30's film i've seen. Also William Wellman is worth checking out, i've seen Night Nurse, Wild Boys of the Road, Heroes For Sale and Safe in Hell of his 30's work and they are all dark to varying degrees.

The 30's was a pretty dark and depressing decade for film from what i've seen at least which is probably Great Depression related.

Unregistered User
Guessing you were speaking more Horror there but keep I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang in mind, that's probably the darkest 30's film i've seen. Also William Wellman is worth checking out, i've seen Night Nurse, Wild Boys of the Road, Heroes For Sale and Safe in Hell of his 30's work and they are all dark to varying degrees.

The 30's was a pretty dark and depressing decade for film from what i've seen at least which is probably Great Depression related.

Yeah I remember you loving that so its on my watch list from then. Looks great. Thanks for the recommendations, they all sound like something I'll enjoy. I've seen Wellman's The Public Enemy which could well feature on my list.

The last two 30's films i watched are worth a watch. Gold Diggers of 1933 was incredible and i'm not a Musical fan at all. One of the main reasons i took to it so much is the singing all makes sense the characters are putting on a musical so there's no random bursting into song, the only singing outside that is when they are practising. Plus only like a third or less of the film is a musical, there's a brief musical scene at the start, one 30 mins in and the last 15 mins or so is a musical sequence (which is incredible) and even that is interrupted to wrap up the drama. When it's not a musical it's a weird screwball comedy and a social commentary on the depression, it's awesome and i think other non-musical fans may be into it.
So glad you liked that. Gold Diggers of 1933 was one of the first 'old' film I seen where something clicked in me and I decided old movies were cool! So much so that I bought all 3 DVD sets of Busby Berkeley, who did a bunch of these highly stylish, lavishly produced musicals. You might like 42nd Street, made with many of the same cast and themes. If you look at the movie theater picture I made for the 30s countdown, you'll spot a Busby Berkley movie poster.

So glad you liked that. Gold Diggers of 1933 was one of the first 'old' film I seen where something clicked in me and I decided old movies were cool! So much so that I bought all 3 DVD sets of Busby Berkeley, who did a bunch of these highly stylish, lavishly produced musicals. You might like 42nd Street, made with many of the same cast and themes. If you look at the movie theater picture I made for the 30s countdown, you'll spot a Busby Berkley movie poster.
42nd Street is already on my watchlist, looking forward to it.

Funnily enough Gold Diggers of 1933 was promoted as "greater than 42nd Street" haha.

At 2:29 in the trailer:

I don't actually wear pants.
Here are some:
All Quiet on the Western Front
Duck Soup
Animal Crackers
Frankenstein
Love on a Bet
It's a Wonderful World
Stagecoach
Mystery of the Wax Museum
Dracula