True Crime Thread

Tools    

Finished part 2 of The Staircase last night. Not nearly as compelling but I was glad to see where everything is at. Petersen seemed like a beaten man trying to put on a good face for his family. The Deever stuff was interesting and the DA just never seems to have an answer for what the defense throws at them. I guess people could point to that as meaning the doc makers have a slant they want you to get on board with. I would really love to hear more from the other side on the case. I am glad I wasn't on this jury on one hand, on the other maybe I would have a clearer picture if I was. Interesting stuff, these things always give me a bit of pause about our judicial system. Feels like a dog and pony show way too often.

Really glad you liked The Staircase Sean. I think it is my favourite documentary show. I'll make a post with my thoughts later as i'm just about to watch My Man Godfrey. Hopefully we can find something that neither of us have seen and both of us are interested in at some point, as it was hard trying to come up with things to say after the first episode for me since i had watched it. Sadly that OJ doc is not something for me though as i'm sick of that case.

Yoda, glad you brought up the owl theory haha. I only heard about it a few weeks ago on a podcast. I didn't read your article but the guy who came up with it could be accused of bias since he is a friend of the petersons and he freely admits he isn't an owl expert but it is surprisingly not as out there as you'd think. And yeah i basically feel the same as you guys i think he did it but i'm not sure if i'd be able to convict if on the jury with what was shown anyway, pretty much the same as Adnan in Serial.

Anybody hear about this? A suspected Serial Killer in Phoenix who has shot nine people since March killing seven. So sad and just completely nuts. RIP to the victims, hope he is caught soon.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/04/us...ngs/index.html

Phoenix police say that a serial shooter has struck for the ninth time.

The Phoenix Police Department have connected a spate of mysterious shootings that have killed seven people and wounded two, to a suspect they call the "Serial Street Shooter."
Authorities revealed on Wednesday the latest case they believe is connected to the suspect.
On the evening of July 11, a suspect shot at a vehicle in a residential area of Phoenix. Two people, a 21-year-old man and a 4-year-old boy, who had been sitting inside the car were not injured.
Police found physical evidence and a lot of similarities between the latest shooting and the previous eight, said Phoenix Police spokesman Sgt. Jonathan Howard. Like the previous shootings, there was "no apparent motive, no pre-incident contact."
"There are a lot of things that struck investigators as resembling the serial shooter's scheme," Howard said.
Police revealed this information a month after the shooting, because "it took awhile for investigators to connect the evidence and witness information to draw the conclusion that this incident was linked to the serial shooter," he said.
Authorities also increased the reward for information leading to the arrest of the suspect to $50,000 after the FBI added an additional $20,000.

Last month, authorities released a composite sketch of the suspect, who was described as a lanky Hispanic male under 5 feet, 10 inches tall. Witnesses have described him as a light-skinned Latino or white man in his 20s.
Based on witness statements, investigators say that "the suspect has access to multiple vehicles, but the two best described are a white Cadillac or Lincoln type vehicle and a black late 90's or early 2000's 5 Series BMW."
The shootings have been concentrated in the low-income neighborhood of Maryvale, with many of the victims shot while standing outside their homes, police said.
Police say the suspect shoots his victims at night with a semi-automatic handgun.
The shootings began March 17, when a 16-year-old boy was shot and wounded while walking on the street at 11:30 p.m., according to police.
A 21-year-old man was shot and wounded the next night.
Two people were killed in April. Five people were killed in June.

I really didn't think I needed this refresher course in the OJ fiasco. I kind of did though. I found this pretty compelling. I don't think I had my head wrapped around the racial implications of this trial at that point in my life. I was an adult, and remembered Rodney King very well. I don't think I was making all the connections that seem very obvious in this documentary. After the trial was over close to 80% blacks thought OJ was not guilty, while 75% of whites thought he was. That is a stunning statistic and shows that this trial was quite literally a cultural phenomenon, and, unfortunately, had very little to do with Nicole and Goldman. It is quite sad to watch.

I still think this doc drags in parts and could have repeats itself. It could have been an incredible 3 1/2 hour piece of film. As it is I liked watching it and am glad I did.

Do you think he did it Sean? I think he most likely did but the theory that it was his son is interesting. When i first heard that i expected it to be some wacko conspiracy theory but there are a few things that make you think. If you hadn't heard about it i'd suggest reading this, a warning though there are some graphic photos here:

http://theunredacted.com/oj-simpson-...in-the-family/

After the trial was over close to 80% blacks thought OJ was not guilty, while 75% of whites thought he was.
That's a fascinating statistic. I always that it was general consensus he did it.

Yeah Swan, that statistic blew my mind. Some of the racial stuff they brought up had me feeling they were stretching a bit. That was until they pulled out that statistic and some of the stuff you hear the jury say. It is pretty astounding.

I definitely think he did it. I was probably at 98% anyway, but something his friend says that he said in this doc seals the deal.

I'm at about 95%, there is still that little bit of me that believes it could've been his son as the theory is pretty credible IMO with stuff to back it up. Nothing concrete obviously but i don't believe it is too out there.

What did his friend say? I'm honestly not going to watch that doc, i'm sure it is good but i've seen and read enough about the case for this lifetime.

Think i'm going to watch a true crime doc and post about it here soon. No idea what though right now.

I'm at about 95%, there is still that little bit of me that believes it could've been his son as the theory is pretty credible IMO with stuff to back it up. Nothing concrete obviously but i don't believe it is too out there.

What did his friend say? I'm honestly not going to watch that doc, i'm sure it is good but i've seen and read enough about the case for this lifetime.

Think i'm going to watch a true crime doc and post about it here soon. No idea what though right now.
His friend told him he thought he did it and asked him what happened that night. OJ told him a binch of stuff he felt about Nicole, nothing new, just basically wishing he could control her. Then told his friend if Nicole hadn't answered the door with a knife that night than she would still be alive.

Let me know what you are going to watch Camo. I will try and join.
Yeah, that does sound pretty damning. At the same time i find it hard to accept anecdotes especially in high profile murder cases, seems everybody comes out of the woodwork with a story when something like this happens.

Will do. I'll probably look for something tomorrow and i'll either post it here or leave you a profile comment. If you have any you want to watch we can do that though because i have nothing in mind right now.

Nah, never even heard it. I'd be up for that then if you want?
I'm in. I'll wait till early in the week since you want to wait a couple of days. Looking forward to it. Let me know if you come across anything else. You have watched so many more docs than me. I feel dumb asking you, because you have seen the big stuff. I'll keep looking too though.

I'm in. I'll wait till early in the week since you want to wait a couple of days. Looking forward to it. Let me know if you come across anything else. You have watched so many more docs than me. I feel dumb asking you, because you have seen the big stuff. I'll keep looking too though.
I'm fine doing it whenever, just not tonight as i'm just about to watch Hedwig before going to sleep.Yeah, it is pretty surprising how little watched docs seems to be here, but at the same time i suppose a reason a lot of people watch movies is to get away from reality for a while. The only reason i've seen so much is because i went through a phase of watching nothing but documentaries.

Let me know if you come across anything else.
Will do. I've been planning on watching The Act of Killing and The Look of Silence for ages, will have to do that soon the latter first most likely since it's on Netflix here. I'll post about them in this thread since i know you like them, they fit True Crime right? I know they do that was more of a rhetorical question because it's so weird trying to wrap your head around state ordered murders. I've been reading a lot about Joseph Stalin's time as Soviet Leader, i'd love a good Documentary on that but there doesn't seem to be much out there.

I'm fine doing it whenever, just not tonight as i'm just about to watch Hedwig before going to sleep.Yeah, it is pretty surprising how little watched docs seems to be here, but at the same time i suppose a reason a lot of people watch movies is to get away from reality for a while. The only reason i've seen so much is because i went through a phase of watching nothing but documentaries.

Will do. I've been planning on watching The Act of Killing and The Look of Silence for ages, will have to do that soon the latter first most likely since it's on Netflix here. I'll post about them in this thread since i know you like them, they fit True Crime right? I know they do that was more of a rhetorical question because it's so weird trying to wrap your head around state ordered murders. I've been reading a lot about Joseph Stalin's time as Soviet Leader, i'd love a good Documentary on that but there doesn't seem to be much out there.

Look Of Silence is freaking incredible. I want to watch The Act Of Killing again so I might join you. They definitely fit. Kind of funny you bring up Stalin, I was just reading about a Idi Amin doc on Hulu, but thought that probably doesn't fit. looks very interesting.

Look Of Silence is freaking incredible. I want to watch The Act Of Killing again so I might join you. They definitely fit. Kind of funny you bring up Stalin, I was just reading about a Idi Amin doc on Hulu, but thought that probably doesn't fit. looks very interesting.
I'll go for Look of Silence after Shenandoah then,

Is it this? - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera..._Self_Portrait

Idi Amin sounded nuts, scary guy man. I remember a story that was on QI. Apparently he couldn't find good shoes his size in Uganda so he went to London to buy them and while there he just turned up at Buckingham Palace to see the Queen without having informed anyone .