Reading Tab

Tools    

Lets put a smile on that block
I always get the feeling its a book i need to look at again. I read it in my first year and it just killed me. Same with Things Fall Apart, another classic i hated but feel i should have a go at again.

I was pretty bored by Heart of Darkness and couldn't even finish The Secret Agent. Was told The Secret Sharer is good but haven't given it a go. I've read plenty of cerebral books with dense imagery, that are difficult to get through but well worth the effort; just wouldn't consider HoD one of 'em.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Hmm, maybe it was coz i was going through my 16-year-old's angst phase that i liked it? . The way i remember it tho, it built for me, and was easy to read (if not a pleasure exactly ).

Just been re-reading some Ian Watson short stories. Haven't read that much Sci-Fi, but his stuff is dyark, in a good way. It's 'The Very Slow Time Machine'. The signature story's actually pretty weak, but there's some funky **** in there.

I really do not know what to say about Conrad. Not that I wanted some upbeat adventure story or anything but I found it to be very sullen and indistinct. Later on I got really into reading about the Belgian Congo and inadvertently read a bit of contextual information that made me rethink some of my reaction to HoD, and even tried rereading some of it, but if anthing I liked it less on the second try. It's the kind of story that could really be set anywhere or at any time without losing much of its original intent, which defeats its innitial appeal for me.

Last novel I finished was Catch 22, which was excellent (duh!).

Oh, edit:

Originally Posted by Sleezy
To anyone who likes to read good stuff:

Shooting an Elephant, by George Orwell

This is easily one of the best pieces of writing I've read in a long time. Having read 1984 recently, I'm now quite fond of Mr. Orwell. But I wasn't really floored by him until this.

(It ain't long, if'n you're interested.)
Yes! That story -- along with Down and Out in Paris and London and Homage to Catalonia -- is why I'm an Orwell fan. I'm always a bit embarrased to admit it because people tend to misunderstand and immediately start lavishing praise on 1984 and Animal farm, two of his worst IMO.

Originally Posted by linespalsy
I really do not know what to say about Conrad. Not that I wanted some upbeat adventure story or anything but I found it to be very sullen and indistinct. Later on I got really into reading about the Belgian Congo and inadvertently read a bit of contextual information that made me rethink some of my reaction to HoD, and even tried rereading some of it, but if anthing I liked it less on the second try. It's the kind of story that could really be set anywhere or at any time without losing much of its original intent, which defeats its innitial appeal for me.
I think you've hit on both its strengths and it's weakness there. It could be placed anywhere there's 'horror', but it's nothing more than an 'embrace' of darkness on that front (tho i remember finding the colonial context fitting, without knowing anything of the details )

Originally Posted by lines
Ay, so good. Re-read it last year and loved it even more. Arkin had a ball in the film too. That role seems to have been made for him.

In the Beginning...
Yes! That story -- along with Down and Out in Paris and London and Homage to Catalonia -- is why I'm an Orwell fan. I'm always a bit embarrased to admit it because people tend to misunderstand and immediately start lavishing praise on 1984 and Animal farm, two of his worst IMO.
I've been meaning to get a copy of Down and Out in Paris and London: my professor tells me it's a must read. I read Animal Farm years ago, and I still think it's one of the most impressive and original books to date. Aside from being so scary and relevant to how things are shaping up today, 1984 is just a well-crafted story.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I'm reading that right now. Coincidence?....

Just started to read this

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Finished the History of Love - Nicole Krauss - the best book ive ever read. The ending could have been much better though, it was a bit of a let down

not reading any novels at the mo (short for both 'more' and 'moment'), sort of into a thick cabbage patch of recent nonfiction on wildlife conservation politics.

history *is* moralizing
V For Vendetta graphic novel (again!)
and
Paul Auster's NY trilogy

I'm still sitting in the middle of these...

Nature via Nurture
Visions
The End of Faith

Read some Michael Moore in spanish ('Que han hecho con mi pais, tio'), and re-read Ian Watson's short stories 'The Very Slow Time Machine' recently. Aside from that, it's all daily news pap.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Golgot
Read some Michael Moore in spanish ('Que han hecho con mi pais, tio').
felicidades!

You ready? You look ready.
Dark Tower Book I - The Gunslinger
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Sleezy
Pretty good read.
I concur. It's probably my favorite fantasy novel. Meanwhile, I'm in the middle of Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. I can't believe this stuff actually happened. Burroughs had a truly bizarre life and was wise of him to make a memoir out of it.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by John McClane
Dark Tower Book I - The Gunslinger
I'm actually on the second book right now and really, really, really dig it.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Strummer521
I concur. It's probably my favorite fantasy novel.
I thought it was alright, but it wandered alot, and the end didn't seem to resonate as much as I would have liked. It comes off as an epic piece of fiction, but doesn't really say much of anything. Fun read, though (and some fantastic characters!).