The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You may hypothesize all you like and give seven different external sources for your common consensi. I know MoFo. Jaws is finishing above Raiders and Schindler and Jurassic and every other Spielberg. Here. On this list. For this vote.

It will be revealed for sure, one way or the other, in the next few days so there's no point arguing about it.

I am Holden Pike. I am God of MoFo. To say I might be wrong is punishable by death.

So, did your mom teach you how to get dressed all by yourself yet?

Oy. You're absolutely right. Jaws is definitely not coming. I was wrong. Your analysis is spot on. I apologize profusely.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Oy. You're absolutely right. Jaws is definitely not coming. I was wrong. Your analysis is spot on. I apologize profusely.

This isn't about the movie. This is about your attitude. It's fun to theorize and that's all there is to it. I'm not gonna get mad if Jaws does end up making the list. My original emotional reaction to seeing Raiders up there was because I wasn't certain if it would compare to the others, and I gave it a high spot (originslly saying four by accident instead of six). I'll theorize about the list as much as I want, and if you're going to get mad or demanding about other people's theories then you shouldn't be on a forum. If you're gonna apologize, even sarcastically, do it for being rude instead of thinking I care whether or not you disagree with me.

Raiders of the Lost Ark, I seen it twice, once at the theater, then again 15 years ago. I like it too, but prefer the original Secret of the Incas (1954)
Yes, "Raiders" sure took a lot from "Secret". As I recall, even Indy's Hat and garb were the same as Heston's. Spielberg definitely amped up the style a little though.

I remember seeing serials as a kid on Saturdays when we'd go to see "17 cartoons", or whatever. There was always a cliff hanger on the show's bill, which really built up the anticipation for the following week's episode. Seems like there were a few adventurer series among them. There would be ample situations in "Raiders" where they could cut for cliff hangers!

Guesses for the next movie tomorrow?

Guessing three movies Blade Runner or Departed or Jaws

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I don't think Blade Runner's getting Top 5, and I don't know how much of a chance The Departed has so I don't think it'll make the list (although if it did make it I would be excited since it's my favorite Scorsese film). I'm gonna vote Blade Runner this time.

Oh, you're right! I actually forgot about that one. IfGwtW made it Casablanca had better make it. My vote for the next to (in any order) is Blade Runner and Casablanca. I'll be completely surprised if Casablanca doesn't make it.

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK might be the final gasp of joy I've retained from childhood. I know why I liked it then, I know why I like it now. And my grandmother, who suffered through the Empire Strikes Back for the benefit of my boredom, also brought me to this. And since she liked it, there were no repercussions in saying I Iiked it too.It is incredibly direct story telling, but it wraps its obvious narrative beats in completely unexpected details about boobytraps, snowblind bars, snake pits, secret eye lid messages, propeller deaths and, ultimately, what's in the ark itself. That finale may have made my face melt as well when I was a kid, and possibly the most overwhelming experience I'd had in a theater up until that time. Maybe ever.

Even if Raiders happened to have been completely ordinary filmmaking, just furthering the cult of Harrison Ford alone would have made in an important film. Has an actor so effortlessly walked towards heroism? Not in my generation, at least.I'm sure I imagined I'd grow up to be judy like him, and hence, all of my current anxieties and disappointments explained in a nutshell when I didn't remotely.

Not on my list, because what am I, a kid? But super great movie.

Without getting into the above back-and-forth, I have to say I agree that Jaws will make it on this list. I don't know the MoFo's all that well, but I know my fellow RT/Corrie refugees, and I know they love it. Why? Because it's a great film. How does that relate to other lists in other websites? I don't know.

You may hypothesize all you like and give seven different external sources for your common consensi. I know MoFo. Jaws is finishing above Raiders and Schindler and Jurassic and every other Spielberg. Here. On this list. For this vote.

It will be revealed for sure, one way or the other, in the next few days so there's no point arguing about it.
You're getting too cocky chill , it will be great when Dark Knight and Departed make the list lol

It's silly we are even debating Jaws potentially missing out

It has been ten years since the last list. I'm not saying it won't happen at all, just that considering we have so many entries that could potentially make the remaining entries and the fact that Raiders topped Jaws in the 2010 edition, it feels like the chances are lower.

Keyser goes in the cage. Cage goes in the water. Shark in the water. Our shark.

It has been ten years since the last list. I'm not saying it won't happen at all, just that considering we have so many entries that could potentially make the remaining entries and the fact that Raiders topped Jaws in the 2010 edition, it feels like the chances are lower.
Yeah, but there are changes all around the list, when you compare it with the 2010 one. Alien and The Thing weren't even on that list and they both jumped right into the Top 20. Star Wars was at #3 and it stumbled all the way down to #78. Dr. Strangelove was at #27, below films like Taxi Driver, Fight Club, Godfather, Part II, Braveheart, and several others, and this year it ended up at #12, above all those (waaaay above in some cases). So I really don't see why Jaws and Raiders swapping 4 or 5 list spots would be such a big deal.

Keyser goes in the cage. Cage goes in the water. Shark in the water. Our shark.

I don't see what's so problematic about my opinion. The only issue is considering that the debate is "silly" or being authoritative on it. I've been here a few years too, but just because I talk a lot doesn't mean I think I know everything. I analyze things based on whatever knowledge I have just as much as the next guy, except I go into detail because I want to strike conversation. Besides, I'm bored as hell and this is my favorite thread on MoFo right now. Whatever happens happens. Whether or not Jaws gets on the list, I'll treat the situation as I've been doing: update the director list I've been posting and express my thought on the film. If I'm wrong and Jaws makes the list, then at leaat Raiders ended up very high. If it does, it's an interesting change of pace based on what I'm used to seeing. And if it doesn't, my attention will be focused on the last few entries.

The only question now, is how well other people take it? I'm only talking so much because I'm pretty bored right now. If anyone wants to discuss Jaws, let's do so. That's what this thread is about: discussing theories about the next entries.

It will be great if Dark Knight and Departed , maybe Inception makes it who knows