Post Comments

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Is there a reason some utilize this, instead of quoting/replying so everyone else can read the comment? When I get one, the only option I have is to send a PM, when I'd like everyone involved in the thread to be able to read it, as opposed to clicking on a user's profile and seeing a bunch of post comments without context. It also disables the thread being bumped up.

I was about to ask the same thing a couple of days ago. I still don't understand the difference from a PM. Plus, if the "post comment" is too long, sometimes I can't even see it whole in the "Post comments" window.

I use post comments sometimes when:
I'm in a hurry.
I don't need a reply I just wanted to point something out.
It's a message meant for only one person.

Personally I don't mind post comments, I like PMs better, but it's all good.

Short answer: sometimes you want to drop a very short note/clarification without the ado of a PM.

Longer answer: PMs can pop up on your screen and people feel obliged to reply to them, and there's technically a quota on those (though it's pretty high), so post comments are good for when you need to convey something but don't need a reply.

Analogy: Post Comments are to PMs what text messages are to phone calls.

...as opposed to clicking on a user's profile and seeing a bunch of post comments...
Aren't those called profile comments? I have mine shut off. Though anyone can send a comment on my post. Try it and see

Yeah, those are Profile Comments.

I think honestly the best argument against having Post Comments is just the confusion they can generate. Obviously more options is better, except for that.

I typically use post comments in two situations:

a) I see a factual error or typo in someone’s post and want to alert them to it without drawing anyone else’s attention to it.

b) When I want to give more support than just rep to someone engaged in a debate/argument, without actually getting involved directly in the discussion.

I use Post Comments when I want to offer a comment directly to a single individual that doesn't necessarily require any response ..... but primarily to occasionally confuddle our very own Meester Wootf as much as I possibly can.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I use Post Comments when I want to offer a comment directly to a single individual that doesn't necessarily require any response ..... but primarily to occasionally confuddle our very own Meester Wootf as much as I possibly can.

And it works gloriously!

I use Post Comments when I want to offer a comment directly to a single individual that doesn't necessarily require any response .....
I do remember your comment to me this summer that I am “dumb”.

I do remember your comment to me this summer that I am “dumb”.
If I remember correctly I said your post was dumb, and that's because it was. Clearly it's becoming a habit.

If I remember correctly I said your post was dumb, and that's because it was. Clearly it's becoming a habit.
Nope. You said I was “dumb”.

Nope. You said I was “dumb”.
Oh well, if you insist. Certainly not how I remember reacting to your act of wilfully posting a screenshot clearly showing a spoiler-tagged comment of mine fully revealed, but alas I've no way of disproving you because Post Comments are only saved to the recipient - as I'm sure you're already aware.

Regardless, I'll happily stand by whatever I actually wrote.

Let's keep this on topic, though if anyone has any complaint, they should direct it either to the person in question privately, or to me (or a mod). I'm happy to help if some kind of mediation is necessary.