What do you think of The Devil's Advocate (1997)?

Tools    

The obvious comparison to me always seemed to be Angel Heart and I think that helps to highlight the relative weakness of this film. Compared to Parker's film this is a much more straight forward supernatural thriller, doesn't have the same kind of visual style nore performances on the same level, Pacino is fun going wall to wall but Bobby was much better IMHO.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The obvious comparison to me always seemed to be Angel Heart and I think that helps to highlight the relative weakness of this film. Compared to Parker's film this is a much more straight forward supernatural thriller, doesn't have the same kind of visual style nore performances on the same level, Pacino is fun going wall to wall but Bobby was much better IMHO.
It's funny you say that cause I too, thought of comparing it to Angel Heart after watching it. I would say that The Devil's Advocate does get caught up in subplots, which I don't know add up to much in the end, where as Angel Heart is a much more straightforward plot, but it does get repetitive, since the main characters finds a dead body, finds, another, finds another etc.

The cinematography in Angel Heart was better in my opinion. As to compare which actor played The Devil better, it's a tough call but apples and oranges, since they both played it different for different types of stories. I'm kind of biased towards Pacino, but only cause I am more of a Pacino fan probably. I need to watch Angel Heart again now.

It's funny you say that cause I too, thought of comparing it to Angel Heart after watching it. I would say that The Devil's Advocate does get caught up in subplots, which I don't know add up to much in the end, where as Angel Heart is a much more straightforward plot, but it does get repetitive, since the main characters finds a dead body, finds, another, finds another etc.

The cinematography in Angel Heart was better in my opinion. As to compare which actor played The Devil better, it's a tough call but apples and oranges, since they both played it different for different types of stories. I'm kind of biased towards Pacino, but only cause I am more of a Pacino fan probably. I need to watch Angel Heart again now.
Again comes back to my point that I think Devil's Advocate is a less ambitious film, not a bad one but its more a standard thriller that looks to work via its plot compared to Angel Heart that's more focused on character and atmosphere.

The same with the performance of the devil, Pacino is in full "who ha" mode playing it as a camp villain, De Nero is playing it with more of a quiet menace.

Oh okay, I didn't think of The Devil's Advocate as being a less ambitious film. The plot is more complicated so I thought maybe they were going for a bigger, more epic story perhaps. As for the comparison of performances, I like Pacino just slightly better, but it's personal preference, and they are both good.

I think I like The Devil's Advocate slightly better, but Angel Heart is the better made movie in terms of cinematography, atmosphere, music, etc.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I wouldnt agree with you about his car, he was still supposed to have it in the original - sequel - version of Fury Road.
That may be, but Ripley actually went back for her cat. Pretty sure the stunt double had a thing for him in Willow.

I've never seen The Devil's Advocate before, don't know why... But after reading all your opinions about this cinematographic masterpiece, I will do it right tonight and get stunned like you all

As @average joe pointed out... all these rules about the devil are part of a literary & religious tradition.

The Devil, with his backstory as a fallen angel, is subject to certain limitations or rules he has to follow in regards to his interference with humans - i.e. he's not omnipotent and he's not in charge of the universe - he doesn't have authority to take life.

It seems he can do or cause almost anything, but when it comes to getting humans to turn evil (and thus ally with him, give in to him, or come under his command) he is subject to free will - the Devil can only lay out the temptation while the humans must choose to take the bait or not. If they don't choose to give in to temptation, the Devil has no power over them - that's the supposed "lesson" anyway.
Well I watched it again, and it seems that the devil is able to kill people when he feels like it, like how he does with a couple of characters. So if he is able to intervene and cause harm without people being tempted, than why does he need temptation?

But I guess maybe he didn't really kill those people since in the end, it was all a dream done to Kevin by the devil more so?

Well I watched it again, and it seems that the devil is able to kill people when he feels like it, like how he does with a couple of characters. So if he is able to intervene and cause harm without people being tempted, than why does he need temptation?

But I guess maybe he didn't really kill those people since in the end, it was all a dream done to Kevin by the devil more so?
I don't remember all the details... except for Eddie Barzoon (if I spelled it right)!

My only guess is Eddie was depicted as such a scumbag that he was already corrupted in his soul - maybe he didn't sign an official contract with the Devil, but was already in so deep with corruption and sin that it gave the Devil authority over his life without an official agreement (the agreement was implicit based on Eddie's own hatred and lifestyle).

Maybe only souls on the fence (that can go either way toward redemption & salvation or corruption) require an official agreement for the Devil to "claim" them while others are freely given because they've embraced evil in every way as to be irredeemable.

Just a speculation anyway.

It was obvious the Devil had the power to try to torment some people almost to death (like Kevin's wife).

Oh okay. It's just the devil seemed not evil enough for Satan in this movie, unless his powers are limited and it was only that. For example, he is shown having sex with women, but I can't see the devil caring about consensual sex, and only see him raping and that's it. I just dont' see him getting off on being a 'ladies man',

Oh okay. It's just the devil seemed not evil enough for Satan in this movie, unless his powers are limited and it was only that. For example, he is shown having sex with women, but I can't see the devil caring about consensual sex, and only see him raping and that's it. I just dont' see him getting off on being a 'ladies man',
I don't know... there are several of stories about the Devil seducing and mating with human females (this isn't the first).

I always made this connection with the Devil and vampires - supposedly a vampire cannot simply enter a dwelling, he has to be invited in. This seems somewhat of a metaphor for the Devil, he's always around, but has to be invited into the human heart (mind, body or soul) in order to exert his power upon or through someone. (Just an aside thought.)

From what I remember of it years ago, I liked the film. Keanu Reeves and Al Pacino are always good. This reminds me I still need to watch Angel Heart.

I think maybe Angel Heart is the better looking and sounding movie, atmosphere wise, but perhaps The Devil's Advocate, might have a slightly better story.

Account terminated on request
I personally loved All Pacino talking to the subway guys. LOL.

To me, that "time travel" reset made perfect sense because the entire plan to entice him into creating the Antichrist was the devil's machinations from the beginning. Thus the devil could wipe that same entire plan clean from the beginning. Seems to fit as far as I can see.

What really doesn't fit IMHO opinion is the devil having sex with his wife. The devil worked too hard to establish himself as a mentor of sorts. To pit himself against Reeves would only work against his plans.

Unless perhaps the whole point was too remove Maryanne from his life and leave him nothing else to live for?

By the way, did you notice the family resemblance at the very end between the winged Lucifer and Reeves?

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
The only thing I remember is that guy's sister.

I think maybe Angel Heart is the better looking and sounding movie, atmosphere wise, but perhaps The Devil's Advocate, might have a slightly better story.
I had forgotten about Angel Heart. That is one disturbing film.

Unlike TDA, Angel Heart had me uneasy the entire friggen film. Kind of a very well crafted creepiness.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

I really enjoyed The Devil's Advocate...Al Pacino really appears to be enjoying himself in the starring role and this was also the film where I first sat up and took notice of Charlize Theron.