The Job Hunt - My Short Film - Out Now

→ in
Tools    

Not bad at all Daniel, dialogue and delivery were a bit stilted at times though that's understandable given it's amateur cast but the camerawork was pretty sound all the way through and sound levels were generally acceptable imo

I don't think a score in places would have been appropriate myself, maybe a little more ambient sound here and there might not have gone amiss though? Personally I'd have dropped the scenes with 'John', for me they added nothing really and the second one especially felt out of place.

Out of interest, considering there was a whole scene devoted to 'Jake' lending 'Callum' a jacket why wasn't he wearing it for the final interview? That just immediately struck me whilst watching it.

Also not sure about the inclusion of the intertitle toward the very end, what had gone before hadn't used them at all despite there obviously being time lapses in the narrative which just made that one usage stand out as odd for me.

Solid effort on the whole though!

Wife and I watched this over the weekend. We both liked it. She laughed a few times, and so did I.

Obviously, the "what could make this better?" criticism is worlds away from the "grading on a curve" criticism. On a curve, this is very good for a first film. Particularly, as TONGO said, the angles of the shots. It was all well lit, and for a short I thought the characters were pretty well drawn, too. Solid.
Thank you very much

The not-on-a-curve stuff: between knowing a handful of amateur filmmakers and watching a lot of MST3K (), my wife and I are always talking about how early films (and/or low budget films) almost always have two things in common: rough audio, and overly lingering establishing or driving shots. And both were present here.

The audio was better than most, in that you seemed to at least have the principals in each scene sounding good. That's good, and stopped this from being a big problem. Anyone else was difficult to hear.
Yeah, we tried to get the sound as good as possible but it was surprisingly difficult in some scenes to capture everything as we wanted. Something to learn from and plan better next time.

The establishing shots weren't overtly long, just longer than they had to be. Our operating theory with this is that it's really hard to shoot even a short film and get it to a decent length, and that it's easy to forget how little people need for that transition to feel smooth, so a lot of what's shot ends up in the film. I think it could be a lot punchier with just a minute or two cut out from those parts. I also wonder at the internal logic of a documentary that shows the subjects driving away.
Fair enough on the establishing shots, I think there are parts that are a tad too long, but I don't know, when I watch The Office, for example, there are many scenes where the camera lingers on an establishing shot or post-scene moment for a little too long, or focusses on something unnecessary and not great too look at, I think it's kind of funny showing the kind of mundane, repetitive nature of the character's daily life.

On the internal logic point I knew that was an issue but left it in because I didn't think many people would notice it, but I guess this could be explained, even though its at a stretch, by the logic that the documentary crew would ask them to repeat certain scenes, or that when they leave to drive to a certain point before they catch up with them, something like that, so that they can get these sort of shots.

I do have one very big stylistic question: how dry was the humor supposed to be? The first few minutes, it was very understated, and I liked that a lot. Callum was relatively emotionless, but that's just what I took the character to be and I felt it gave us a handle on him very quickly. But there's a scene later where you're (I think it was you as the documentarian, yeah?) suggesting he change his CV, and the dialogue sounds like it's meant to be delivered with more emotion. My complaint is not that it wasn't, but more with the decision to have it there at all, since the rest of the interactions are all so restrained.
Yeah, I think it was meant to be delivered a bit more emotionally, but it was still meant to be understated in a way that he tries to act as if he doesn't care, but certain things do seem to personally affect him. I think this would have been better if I had one or two scenes that I originally planned in the film where certain things would trigger him to slowly get more evidently emotional/angry, and kind of break the cool persona that he may be playing.

I'm also not sure if the ending is supposed to be a cliffhanger, and whether or not we're supposed to think Callum has learned or changed (if he has, when/how did that happen?).
It's supposed to be a cliffhanger for a few reasons I guess. First of all I think him getting a job is too neat an ending, and him not getting a job is a bit too miserable and would make the film seem a bit pointless to some. I think I would have had more complaints if I went with any of them. Also whether he would get that job or not, wouldn't necessarily dictate whether he could get a job full stop, or whether he'd be successful at it. I guess the point is not whether he has got the job or not, but whether you think he has and if he has done enough to change and succeed, or maybe actually whether you feel you want him to get the job. Again, this when/how question would have been better answered had the film been as long as I originally intended, with a more gradual arc, or even as a several 20 minute long TV show, as touched on above.

Most of the film I felt like it was deliberately understated, and that he wasn't really changing or learning at all. Which I was fine with! I think that's the best part, and I think the film was best when it was most like this. But there are a few scenes that make me think maybe this wasn't exactly the intention, so let me know what you were going for there.
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive in that I think the point is his character will always be a lift carefree, laid back, a bit ignorant and silly, but that maybe it's kind of a persona used as an excuse to mask laziness/unwilligness, and that should he accept his flaws and put in the effort, there's no reason why he can't get a job. I kind of wanted it to be ambiguous in that you're not sure what the future will hold. The characters are all aware they're in a documentary, and who's to say if he doesn't get the job and there's no reason for him not to try, he won't just return back to "resting" and waiting for something to come along.

I almost laughed out loud when I saw my name because I forgot I'd contributed to it. And it was funny because I saw a "Special Thanks" to a few names I recognized, too! Cool stuff.
Yeah there's quite a few MoFos mentioned there, so thanks again to everybody

Not bad at all Daniel, dialogue and delivery were a bit stilted at times though that's understandable given it's amateur cast but the camerawork was pretty sound all the way through and sound levels were generally acceptable imo
Thank you

I don't think a score in places would have been appropriate myself, maybe a little more ambient sound here and there might not have gone amiss though? Personally I'd have dropped the scenes with 'John', for me they added nothing really and the second one especially felt out of place.
Yeah as I mentioned somewhere I was unsure what people would think of the scenes with John and whether they would find them funny, but so far from what people have told me they thought he was really good/funny. I expected his humour/scenes to be the most divisive so this doesn't surprise me. It's kind of more inside joke humour I guess, because he is like that in the fact he will turn up out of no where and disappear just as quickly without seeing him again for ages.

Out of interest, considering there was a whole scene devoted to 'Jake' lending 'Callum' a jacket why wasn't he wearing it for the final interview? That just immediately struck me whilst watching it.
Good question that I hadn't really thought about, but I wrote down what everyone was meant to wear for each scene in some sort of plan, so I guess that's just the way I did it. I think there were meant to be scenes in between him trying out jackets and the final interview, that persuade him to ditch it. I guess he just spoke to someone who persuaded him that it looked silly and he had the sense to go to the interview without it

Also not sure about the inclusion of the intertitle toward the very end, what had gone before hadn't used them at all despite there obviously being time lapses in the narrative which just made that one usage stand out as odd for me.
Fair enough, I guess I thought the gap was a little more significant to warrant it, and it kind of adds a little bit of suspense. I think it's one of those things that I would have been fine with either way.

Solid effort on the whole though!
Thanks for the kind words and feedback

Thank you very much
Thanks for sharing it with us.

I think the catch-22 line was probably the best. That also kind of set the tone: I assumed from that point that it would all be like that. The "1" in the CV was funny, too.

Fair enough on the establishing shots, I think there are parts that are a tad too long, but I don't know, when I watch The Office, for example, there are many scenes where the camera lingers on an establishing shot or post-scene moment for a little too long, or focusses on something unnecessary and not great too look at, I think it's kind of funny showing the kind of mundane, repetitive nature of the character's daily life.

On the internal logic point I knew that was an issue but left it in because I didn't think many people would notice it, but I guess this could be explained, even though its at a stretch, by the logic that the documentary crew would ask them to repeat certain scenes, or that when they leave to drive to a certain point before they catch up with them, something like that, so that they can get these sort of shots.
Dig. I actually don't care too much about the internal logic thing (it didn't even occur to me until after, which I take to mean it isn't really a problem). Just something that occurred to me. But yeah, I think shorter outside/travel shots would really move the thing along. But honestly, it's usually way worse in lots of the other early films I've seen, same with the audio.

Yeah, I think it was meant to be delivered a bit more emotionally, but it was still meant to be understated in a way that he tries to act as if he doesn't care, but certain things do seem to personally affect him. I think this would have been better if I had one or two scenes that I originally planned in the film where certain things would trigger him to slowly get more evidently emotional/angry, and kind of break the cool persona that he may be playing.
Yeah, I think that was part of it: he's just suddenly upset? Toss in the fact that he still sounds so even-keeled and it was tricky to figure out what was supposed to be happening in his head.

One of the reasons I keep saying I like the understated stuff is that it's kind of amateur filmmaking jujitsu: obviously, even if everyone does a great job, it's going to be hard to do big emotional scenes with people who are just getting started. So having a documentary style, and characters who are understated, turns a weakness into a strength, because suddenly you don't want them to "act" in the traditional sense. I think this is why the film was best when the humor was dry.

It's supposed to be a cliffhanger for a few reasons I guess. First of all I think him getting a job is too neat an ending, and him not getting a job is a bit too miserable and would make the film seem a bit pointless to some. I think I would have had more complaints if I went with any of them. Also whether he would get that job or not, wouldn't necessarily dictate whether he could get a job full stop, or whether he'd be successful at it. I guess the point is not whether he has got the job or not, but whether you think he has and if he has done enough to change and succeed, or maybe actually whether you feel you want him to get the job. Again, this when/how question would have been better answered had the film been as long as I originally intended, with a more gradual arc, or even as a several 20 minute long TV show, as touched on above.
Yeah, no issue with the cliffhanger as a decision. I think I might have found a version of him staying super dense and oblivious and not getting a job to be funnier, though it'd have been a lesser story, so it's just a question of priority.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive in that I think the point is his character will always be a lift carefree, laid back, a bit ignorant and silly, but that maybe it's kind of a persona used as an excuse to mask laziness/unwilligness, and that should he accept his flaws and put in the effort, there's no reason why he can't get a job. I kind of wanted it to be ambiguous in that you're not sure what the future will hold. The characters are all aware they're in a documentary, and who's to say if he doesn't get the job and there's no reason for him not to try, he won't just return back to "resting" and waiting for something to come along.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess my big thing, then, is: what changed him?

Yeah there's quite a few MoFos mentioned there, so thanks again to everybody
I think it's very cool that you turned to us, and were so open about the making of the film. Huge thanks, Daniel, and good on ya' for doing it. You've probably seen tons of people sign up here and ask big questions about how to get their "idea" or "script" made, or how to get into the business, and the answer is always the same: just start making stuff. You will not learn any other way. You've started doing that, and I know it can't be easy. And I appreciate you taking in the "constructive" part of "constructive criticism." It all comes from genuine affection, and is only there to make your next film better. Because I think I speak for everyone when I say:

Make another one!

Thanks for the clarification. I guess my big thing, then, is: what changed him?
I guess my best explanation would be that once he has been chosen by a documentary film crew in a project called "The Job Hunt" supposed to be about him finding a job, he expects just that to happen. He goes to a job interview early on in the filming, without much preparation or effort, and inevitably doesn't get the job. Then, when the interviewer starts picking away at his CV and points out a few of his personal flaws (even in a fairly joking manner - "you've failed all your GCSEs and you like football") he feels insecure perhaps in that he's becoming the butt of a joke, and is being filmed, so he tries to turn this around on them and suggests that if they want there film to do its job, they should be helping and encouraging him, so he accepts so help on his CV, and its probably the film crew that suggests he dresses up smart etc. I think he thought being part of a documentary would be easy, bring him a job, and he gets to continue to put in minimal effort and crack wise remarks to the camera, but gets offended when his weak points are put out in the open and the documentary implies that it his him that is the problem, and not one of the series of excuses he's always given.

Again, would have worked better, more naturally over a longer period of time. In a 20 minute short it's harder to get their motivations and full personalities, but I'm glad that some of the characters traits/attitudes seem to be shining through as intended, even in glimpses.

Make another one!
Will do

Sorry for all the posts. Normally I'm splitting them up because they address certain things but I'm not sure why I didn't address this and my lasts post in one reply

I think the catch-22 line was probably the best. That also kind of set the tone: I assumed from that point that it would all be like that. The "1" in the CV was funny, too.
Glad you liked the catch-22 one as I wasn't sure how that would work when being filmed but people seem to like it.

The 1 in the CV actually comes from a real life incident. It was with Jake though, and not Callum. He had been applying for jobs and out of work for a short while and asked us (me, Callum, John) to look at his CV and see if we could help in. John takes a look, starts laughing and tells me to read the title, and I start p*ssing myself too. Very funny, but I also felt a bit sorry at the time because it clearly explained why all his applications were getting rejected. It still confuses me how/why someone using a computer would hit 1 instead of the "i" key.

One of the reasons I keep saying I like the understated stuff is that it's kind of amateur filmmaking jujitsu: obviously, even if everyone does a great job, it's going to be hard to do big emotional scenes with people who are just getting started. So having a documentary style, and characters who are understated, turns a weakness into a strength, because suddenly you don't want them to "act" in the traditional sense. I think this is why the film was best when the humor was dry.
Yep. I knew getting emotional performances or playing a totally unfamiliar character would be more difficult, so asking them to play themselves, and to do so in an under or overstated manner was simple enough. As I mentioned, I wanted my brother to be laid back and work off other people. Jake I thought was overacting so I built that in to his character making him over confident and slightly elitist.

I tried to make everything as easy to do as possible but of course there are still always problems. But I learn from them and it gives me the confidence to try something more imaginative/ambitious next time.

Good work, Daniel! No matter if this was atrocious or amazing, I always admire people making art; seeing people create something, whatever it may be, can never be less than admirable and I respect it a lot.

The short is what you would expect from a first time filmmaker, though more professional than the usual school projects or whatever one usually did in the past. I remember those lol. Anyways, as others have said, I feel like your short is mostly well-lit, well set-up and mostly fluent in story and editing - as much as it can be for such a episodic storyline - with new days, new job interviews, new characters etc. But it is still something that brings the movie down a bit, because while some feels intentional not everything does. It could be tighter and the scenes sometimes felt a little bit like ideas or moments that had to be in there, but could've been integrated and executed better.

The only thing I disliked a lot was the sounds of the camera when you moved it around/hit the zoom button etc. Having just seen Blair Witch (2016) the problem is especially annoying to me and fresh in mind. it doesn't seem to be intentional, but if it was it worked as badly as it did in Blair Witch.

I liked Callum's friend, I think he was probably the best actor (though the last interviewer was good too) or at least he was amusing and had a good screen presence. Callum was very plain to me and obviously not the greatest actor in the world, but I admire his commitment to the project. Obviously his personality was partly being a bit monotone and whatever, but it didn't work for me and I feel like a main character shouldn't bore me, feel that cold or however you can put it. But again, I respect and admire everyone involved in this.

The only thing I really liked and which felt well structured and had a good point, was the ongoing talk about his friend's musical skills and his song. So when it came on at the end it was a great conclusive ending point which had been pulled all the way from the beginning and I liked that. The ending itself was predictable, but I guess for a first time short film it was a wise choice to end on some type of cliffhanger to make it more memorable and not go on explaining everything since the movie already had a lot of talking back and forth etc.

The humor was indeed very dry and understated, but when it was good it really worked, while most of the time I feel like it could've been executed better and lifted the movie. Personally I feel like the humor should have been a key point in the story and instead of making it so straightforward and going from scene, to scene, to scene and trying to do this mostly serious, the humor could've given it balance and gifted the short with a more abstract quirky style in the vein of Wes Anderson or the movie In Bruges. Keep the dry and understated approach of course, but with the accents and very understated approach the short film seemed too much "in on itself" and in its own little world.

The dialogue was also a bit uneven, unnatural and impersonally delivered, but again it's hard to see where the line is drawn... how much of it was intended to feel that way and how much of it was like that because y'all are obviously not Kubrick or Scorsese.

Anyways, I wasn't exactly bored with it and as said many times seeing someone create something from scratch, something they are passionate about, is always a pleasure. I'm glad y'all finished this and completed your film! Congrats.

Good work, Daniel! No matter if this was atrocious or amazing, I always admire people making art; seeing people create something, whatever it may be, can never be less than admirable and I respect it a lot.
Cheers

The short is what you would expect from a first time filmmaker, though more professional than the usual school projects or whatever one usually did in the past. I remember those lol. Anyways, as others have said, I feel like your short is mostly well-lit, well set-up and mostly fluent in story and editing - as much as it can be for such a episodic storyline - with new days, new job interviews, new characters etc. But it is still something that brings the movie down a bit, because while some feels intentional not everything does. It could be tighter and the scenes sometimes felt a little bit like ideas or moments that had to be in there, but could've been integrated and executed better.
Yeah as I've mentioned it would have been better if it was longer as originally intended so certain ideas could have been executed better and come across more naturally.

The only thing I disliked a lot was the sounds of the camera when you moved it around/hit the zoom button etc. Having just seen Blair Witch (2016) the problem is especially annoying to me and fresh in mind. it doesn't seem to be intentional, but if it was it worked as badly as it did in Blair Witch.
Not intentional. I have no idea about sound or editing it, bit I know it was tricky to put together with what we had to work with. I actually didn't notice this much though and I've probably watched the film about 30 times now haha. But yeah, a lesson to learn.

I liked Callum's friend, I think he was probably the best actor (though the last interviewer was good too) or at least he was amusing and had a good screen presence. Callum was very plain to me and obviously not the greatest actor in the world, but I admire his commitment to the project. Obviously his personality was partly being a bit monotone and whatever, but it didn't work for me and I feel like a main character shouldn't bore me, feel that cold or however you can put it. But again, I respect and admire everyone involved in this.
Yeah that's fair enough although obviously personally I completely disagree with you. Like Callum was who I based the whole idea around, and he kind of incorporates bits of myself too, and especially our (me and Callum) tastes in humour. Even when I was writing it, I always found him the funniest, and was reluctant to put in some of the more outlandish/quirky parts (for this type of film, I have nothing against that in general), but I knew there had to be a balance, so I tried.

The only thing I really liked and which felt well structured and had a good point, was the ongoing talk about his friend's musical skills and his song. So when it came on at the end it was a great conclusive ending point which had been pulled all the way from the beginning and I liked that.
Thanks, glad you noticed that. Not many people seem to have mentioned that and it's one of my favourite parts of the film.

The humor was indeed very dry and understated, but when it was good it really worked, while most of the time I feel like it could've been executed better and lifted the movie. Personally I feel like the humor should have been a key point in the story and instead of making it so straightforward and going from scene, to scene, to scene and trying to do this mostly serious, the humor could've given it balance and gifted the short with a more abstract quirky style in the vein of Wes Anderson or the movie In Bruges. Keep the dry and understated approach of course, but with the accents and very understated approach the short film seemed too much "in on itself" and in its own little world.
Yeah I get there. I thought the world would be a little too mundane/serious for some people if you get me. I would like to do a comedy that is quirkier and funnier, for example two of my favourite TV shows are Arrested Development and It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (big fan of Wes Anderson and In Bruges too by the way) and the characters/plots/everything is absolutely ridiculous, but I wasn't able to incorporate some of my favourite things about them in to this because I wanted to stay true to the documentary-style approach and kind of try and capture the oddness and realness of these characters and their odd interactions. I do think it on times ventures into too "inside joke" territory, but I think its just depends on the viewer and your personal tastes which is cool.

The dialogue was also a bit uneven, unnatural and impersonally delivered, but again it's hard to see where the line is drawn... how much of it was intended to feel that way and how much of it was like that because y'all are obviously not Kubrick or Scorsese.
I'm going to put it down to "intended" or blame the acting, no way it could have been my fault But yeah, mainly time, I think I only have issues with it in a couple of scenes and enjoy most of them though.

Anyways, I wasn't exactly bored with it and as said many times seeing someone create something from scratch, something they are passionate about, is always a pleasure. I'm glad y'all finished this and completed your film! Congrats.
Thanks again

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I really enjoyed this Daniel! You seem to have a lot of passion for filmmaking and I respect that. I know how much hard work it is to make a film (I've made one in the past too). This was very crisp and the camera work was great! Would have made my top 25 documentaries. Now why can't I add this to my flickchart?

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Watched the video (BRAVO) and finished reading all of the thread. . .

Everything has been gone over rather brilliantly by everyone involved in the thread so I would be simply echoing everything else and much like an echo, the clarity would fade off considerably so I won't be delving into critique and/or helpful criticism of my own too much.

I will state that your camerawork shows some SERIOUS promise. You have an excellent "eye" and further projects will only see some very credible growths. This is not the ONLY thing I saw promise in, it is one that continually reigned supreme as I watched. But then I do that A LOT with movies without really thinking about it. The staging of a scene, the angles, the zooms and the uses thereof and so forth. I always found myself coming back to them and appreciating what you did as I followed along with "the camera".

I found myself enjoying the "behind the scene" dialogues in this thread even more. The discoveries of what worked, what was intended and how you felt with what came to be. The fact that, in the end, there was so much knowledge acquired by yourself regarding actual filmmaking is the REAL payoff here. It's one thing to study, it's a whole different beast to create. Welcome to the beast, Dan!!

I'm actually going to steer clear of subject matter, dialogue and the like; simply because the basis of your creativity is solely you and for you to go with as you, the filmmaker, are inspired to do so.

In the end it all comes down to learning and growing as a filmmaker and Dan, you are very much on your way.

Never stop creating, never stop making your visions into realities - regardless.

I really enjoyed this Daniel! You seem to have a lot of passion for filmmaking and I respect that. I know how much hard work it is to make a film (I've made one in the past too). This was very crisp and the camera work was great! Would have made my top 25 documentaries. Now why can't I add this to my flickchart?
You can now http://www.flickchart.com/movie/EEDA374C25

Haha, I don't mind at all, I don't really use that website much although I did a couple of years back to sort out my top 100. But as you mentioned it I thought I might as well add it, nice to have a paper trail and get the film out there to as many sites as possible, seems professional

Good job Daniel. I love the sense of humor and usually find mockumentaries fun. The fishing joke at the beginning was my favorite.

I love the sense of humor and usually find mockumentaries fun.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
This is the best movie by a MoFo ever since As I Was Looking At The Lustrous Beams Of Light In My Tea I Immediately Thought of Cupcakes.

Dude, it's completely on account of my lack of fluency, but that Welsh accent made me miss some words. It takes some time to get used to it. The camera work is pretty weird. There's some adjusting and unnecessary zooming in and out at times and when it moves, it's not always fluent. I think most scenes would've worked best if the camera never moved, because the frames were alright. Then again, this is supposed to be a mockumentary, so I guess this kind of camera work fits the movie stylistically. However, I recently have seen a Korean film that used static shots and introduced a zoom within the static shot a couple of minutes in and I disliked it, too, so maybe that's just a matter of preference.

The deadpan jokes were quite amusing. Haha. I actually laughed at the e-mail part. Well, the bad acting was a feat in itself. However, that one take with you talking to the camera next to a fridge is amazing. Very genuine and it looks almost as if you were crying. I think it wasn't even acted.

You spinning on that chair during the interview with the old guy was so annoying. If I was interviewing you, I would've got bad impression. It was probably intentional and was supposed to mean something, but your movie is such a complicated work of art, I think I will have to rewatch it to fully grasp its meanders of meaning.

But dude, really, no chicks? I'm not counting your sister. I'm not a pedophile. I'm not even saying "no boobies", I'm saying "no chicks?". Add some chicks next time to your movie. And preferably also a rooster. Or two. For lack of hot babes 0.5 stars! Here I go:

Oops, I missed the
rating.

BTW: Mark French? I thought he's American.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.