My Film - The Job Hunt (In Development)

Tools    

I have been part of these forums now for two and a half years, and that time pretty much represents how long I have been interested in movies on a serious level. When I joined I did not know much about movies, but what I did know is that I wanted to learn more, and it soon became apparent that this would be the place to do it. Since then I have branched out massively in terms of the types of films I have watched, I have explored and discovered all sorts of films and directors that I now love, and learned so much in the process. Movies have pretty much taken over my life, I love everything associated with them, constantly watch new ones, and just love to discuss them with others. I love sharing my experiences with others, and have shared new favourites with friends and family (in particular, my brother), as well as the many friends I have made online here.

Ever since I seriously got in to movies seriously, I have also been obsessed with the directorial side of things, and wished that I could one day become involved in making a movie. Whilst it is easy to dismiss such ambitions, I think it is clear that we live in an age where it is now easier than ever to actually make a movie, and that is what I plan to do.

Over the past six months I have been writing a script based off a basic idea that I came up with, with a little help from my younger (Seventeen years old) brother. The idea is a documentary-style comedy that follows my brother as he attempts to find a job. It is pretty much based on real life, he had been without a job for a long period of time, and having watched similar comedies such as The Office I got the idea that this situation could potentially provide a lot of situations for comedy and such. My brother was enthusiastic about such an idea from the start, as well as a few other close friends that I shared the idea with. Why not have a proper go at making this film? What have I got to lose? The idea and filmmaking style means that its simple and easy to make, from the start we agreed that the worst case scenario would be to shoot it ourselves with our mobile phones or a cheap digital camera, the premise and real life basis means that the idea is very easy to film with the focus being on the characters and atmosphere.

Now I have finished the script and I have a number of close friends and family from real life who are willing to help and/or take part in the film. So what is left? Well, I do plan to raise money for the film, not much, but enough to make it a good quality production, for it to look as professional as possible. As I said, we don’t particularly need loads, so the more we get the better. Money will be spent on additional shooting equipment to enhance the professionalism of the film, fuel costs, costumes and additional actors, possibly some locations too.

I have already got a number of people who are happy to chip in here and there for bits and bobs, and so far the reaction from people I have shared my script with has been very positive. I aim to post the project online very soon and hopefully gain some more support and investment for it, and then shoot and finish the film over the summer after I finish my University exams.

Here is what I have officially got written down so far for a mini plot synopsis…
‘The Job Hunt’ follow the trials and tribulations of a young Welshman, Callum, as he attempts to find a job. Unemployed for over a year, much to the annoyance of his family who have grown tired of his laziness, he struggles to understand what is preventing him from gaining a job. We travel with Callum as he attempts to improve his employability, as he undergoes a number of applications and interviews. Mixed with footage of interviews from his families and friends, ‘The Job Hunt’ is a humorous tale of a flawed young man who believes the world is against him.
I will be posting more about the film in the upcoming weeks, I have been meaning to share this with you guys ‘officially’ for quite a while now. As I said, I have nothing to lose, and really want to do the best I can to make this work. I hope you enjoyed reading this and like what you hear so far, any questions, feel free to ask!

Looks great Dan, you know you've got my support. Excited for you dawg.

Yes, I will be checking in to hear more on this project!

I know the feeling. I mean, can't even count the movie ideas and partial scripts I've been making lol. And 3 whole short films in my head... It's actually filming it, financing it, getting people who want to participate. All that is the hard part.

This is awesome news Daniel. very cool. It's a good bet the experience will be extremely valuable for you, can't wait to see your movie

Cheers for all the kind words so far everyone!

Yes, I will be checking in to hear more on this project!

I know the feeling. I mean, can't even count the movie ideas and partial scripts I've been making lol. And 3 whole short films in my head... It's actually filming it, financing it, getting people who want to participate. All that is the hard part.
I've had script and other little film idea before much like, kind of the reason why I came up with this idea and want to go with it so much is because of the ease of making it, it's based on a true story and will be done with my brother and friends, a lot of the interviews will be with family members and friends, and so on... obviously I still need money, but nothing huge, so at the moment I'm just trying to get the message round and gain some support and hopefully investment. As I said the majority of people so far have been positive about the project and said they'd help out with something. I've got nothing to lose so might as well give it a go

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Job interview?

I don't think it's gonna be this kind of comedy, but still... good luck!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Yeah. Due to the style of the film, with it being film in a realistic, documentary style, there won't really be much music. There is one segment which I'll be using some music hopefully, but it'll have to be stuff that we can get for free. There will be one proper song in the film, actually wrote and sang by a member of the cast.

Good Luck Daniel!! Im not a fan of comedies but I think its great that you are taking on directing... There is another member who directs and I seen a few of his films... and I feel I want to support anyone here 100%.

Yeah. Due to the style of the film, with it being film in a realistic, documentary style, there won't really be much music. There is one segment which I'll be using some music hopefully, but it'll have to be stuff that we can get for free. There will be one proper song in the film, actually wrote and sang by a member of the cast.
Thanks for your response. I was planning to offer to write a brief main title piano tune or something but if you don't need it, that's fine.

You're the director, do what you think is best for the film.

Thanks for your response. I was planning to offer to write a brief main title piano tune or something but if you don't need it, that's fine.

You're the director, do what you think is best for the film.
Thanks for the enthusiasm and support Yeah all I have planned at the moment is a song by one of the castt over the credits, it will be in fitting with the story, I want most of it to appear natural

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Sounds like a good premise. Hope I don't miss it when you finish it? Any idea when you will?

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Daniel M, one of the Art House Mafia's most trusted lieutenants, is making a film?

I'm gonna hate it aren't I?

But seriously that's very cool Danny. Like most film fans at some point I'm sure I've always loved the idea of writing and making films but never found the motivation to actually do it. Will be very interested to hear your progress reports and assuming all goes well to see the finished product

Good luck.