The Job Hunt - My Short Film - Out Now

→ in
Tools    

TDude, it's completely on account of my lack of fluency, but that Welsh accent made me miss some words. It takes some time to get used to it.
Yeah that doesn't surprise me really. I was thinking that foreign language people might miss some parts, no matter how good their English, because of accents. I would say though that non of the people involve have Welsh accents, at least to me, I'd be interested to hear what other people think, if they know what it's meant to sound like.

The camera work is pretty weird. There's some adjusting and unnecessary zooming in and out at times and when it moves, it's not always fluent. I think most scenes would've worked best if the camera never moved, because the frames were alright. Then again, this is supposed to be a mockumentary, so I guess this kind of camera work fits the movie stylistically. However, I recently have seen a Korean film that used static shots and introduced a zoom within the static shot a couple of minutes in and I disliked it, too, so maybe that's just a matter of preference.
Fair enough, although the camera work and little zooms are some of my favourite parts. To each their own.

The deadpan jokes were quite amusing. Haha. I actually laughed at the e-mail part. Well, the bad acting was a feat in itself. However, that one take with you talking to the camera next to a fridge is amazing. Very genuine and it looks almost as if you were crying. I think it wasn't even acted.
Thanks, I'm glad you found some of it funny. I don't think the acting was bad as you say, the characters are really meant to come across as deadpan, silly, stupid at times, some of the emotional stuff was difficult though. I can see what you mean about the fridge scene, I'm surprised no one picked up on that, it's not me though, it's my brother!

You spinning on that chair during the interview with the old guy was so annoying. If I was interviewing you, I would've got bad impression. It was probably intentional and was supposed to mean something, but your movie is such a complicated work of art, I think I will have to rewatch it to fully grasp its meanders of meaning.
Again, my brother But yeah I noticed that too, but we kept it in there as generally the take was what we wanted and we thought it would add to the question of whether or not he got the job, my brother probably did it because he was nervous acting, just as the character would have been nervous at an interview. In the future he could have improved on it if we had more time.

But dude, really, no chicks? I'm not counting your sister. I'm not a pedophile. I'm not even saying "no boobies", I'm saying "no chicks?". Add some chicks next time to your movie. And preferably also a rooster. Or two. For lack of hot babes 0.5 stars! Here I go:
Haha okay. Yeah it's very kind of, contained in a way, in that it's pretty much set in the weird "lads" world of my brother and his friends, if I was to expand on the idea I would have had more female characters I think.

I'm just going to ignore the rest of the post and focus on this bit

Master of My Domain
Great work bro, it's weird but I loved the dialogue more than anything else. The dry humor worked and that's a tough one to pull off. I'm kinda disappointed that less effort was put into getting rid of miscellaneous background noises or wobbly camera movement. Other than that I'm very happy about you being able to get one step closer to your dream.

Great work bro, it's weird but I loved the dialogue more than anything else. The dry humor worked and that's a tough one to pull off. I'm kinda disappointed that less effort was put into getting rid of miscellaneous background noises or wobbly camera movement. Other than that I'm very happy about you being able to get one step closer to your dream.
Thanks, it always makes me especially happy when people enjoy the dialogue and dry tone because I know it's not for everyone. Some of the noises and what-not proved more difficult to deal with than we anticipated, and it'll help knowing what setups work and what don't for future projects. Cheers.

I am late to the party but I finally watched it. The film is a solid first feature short. You worked with what you had and you got a good film about a young man who is looking for work but finds it hard to get one for various reasons. Some by his failings, and by other forces.

Nicely done Dan.