Forest Films

Tools    

I love forests. Got a bit of a weird fascination with them. Maybe I was a badger in a previous life.

Anyway, Can anyone recommend me some films that are either set in a forest or have long scenes / a few scenes that are set in a forest. I don't particularly enjoy low budget horror films, so I think we can rule those out.

I've seen:

Return of the Jedi
The Sea of Trees
Border
The Place beyond the Pines
Come and See
The Village
The VVitch
It Comes at Night
The Cabin in the Woods
The Blair Witch Project

Anybody who says Forrest Gump gets a point deducted from their cool chart

Thanks

Leave No Trace
Southern Comfort
The Last of the Mohicans
Deliverance
Mud
Prospect
Into the Forest
Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
Swiss Family Robinson
Throne of Blood
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Apocalypto
Brotherhood of the Wolf

The Village
The VVitch
Those two films used forests to great effect. I love that shot at the beginning of The Witch, as the family arrive at their new home. Menacing as hell .

Any Robin Hood film

Trollhunter
The Company of Wolves
The Guardian (1990)
Gladiator
Centurion
The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit
Alien: Covenant
House of Flying Daggers
Predator
The Emerald Forest
Fitzcarraldo
Excalibur
X-Men: The Last Stand
Logan

Part of the journey in Lore (2012) takes place through a forest.
War For The Planet Of The Apes has a fair bit set in forest.
Hunt For The Wilderpeople
Versus (2000)

Not sure if these would count but most (if not all) of the Tarzan films from the 30s are set in the jungle as was Gorillas In The Mist.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Taekwondo Spirit: Rebirth: the main character and his friends fight off villains in a magical forest where if you lose your fight, you lose your soul.

Sometimes a Great Notion (1971)
McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
First Blood (1982)
Black Robe (1991)
At Play in the Fields of the Lord (1991)
Medicine Man (1992)
The Hunted (2003)
Missing in America (2005)

Leave No Trace
Southern Comfort
The Last of the Mohicans
Deliverance
Mud
Prospect
Into the Forest
Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
Swiss Family Robinson
Throne of Blood
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Apocalypto
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Excellent thanks. I loved Leave no Trace, forgot to put it on the list. Also enjoyed deliverance and mud.

Into the forest looks interesting. Been meaning to watch Apocalypto for ages, might put it to the top of my watchlist now, cheers.

Besides the Herzog films mentioned I would say Marketa Lazarova is one of the best for the forest having a real presence in the film, Princess Mononoke as well.

Besides the Herzog films mentioned I would say Marketa Lazarova is one of the best for the forest having a real presence in the film, Princess Mononoke as well.
Intyeresting. Neve heard of that czech film. I've started going back through all the big Ghibli films, so Mononoke is on my radar. Thanks

Intyeresting. Neve heard of that czech film. I've started going back through all the big Ghibli films, so Mononoke is on my radar. Thanks
Somewhat similar to Embrace of the Serpent I spose in going very texture rich B&W woodland although more overtly strange and mystical. Along the same lines I Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev has the same kind of thing in the scene with the pagans and a lot of woodland shots generally.

My Avi I spose is another with woodland playing a dramatic role at the end of Under the Skin.

My Avi I spose is another with woodland playing a dramatic role at the end of Under the Skin.
Of course – good example .